200,000+ miles

Help Support CattleToday:

a side by side is fine if you have open ground, if there's bushes and trees, you're lost

For sure but there is no lack of speed. I'd take a dirt bike over an atv to compliment the sxs where it can't go.

The problem we run in to like with my dad's family is the cattle have no respect for atvs, dirt bikes, etc. If you try to push cattle with an atv they will come see you. They won't do it to a sxs.

I had a cow throwing her head and trying to fight my mule a couple years ago. When I decided she wasn't bluffing any more and she dropped her head I hit her going pretty solid with that tough country bumper on the mule. That was the end of that. I saw my uncle try to bluff a bull on an atv and it threw him one way and the atv the other like nothing.

I don't do that stuff to my cattle though. 😄

I went on a little riding trip down in Arkansas a couple months ago. Couple guys with ATVs, but most had SxSx, one with a bigger Ranger and a couple Can Ams.

The SxSs were the thing to have on slopes. They will practically go up or down anything that isn't a cliff. They are wide, long, and the weight is down low.

For sure but there is no lack of speed. I'd take a dirt bike over an atv to compliment the sxs where it can't go.

The problem we run in to like with my dad's family is the cattle have no respect for atvs, dirt bikes, etc. If you try to push cattle with an atv they will come see you. They won't do it to a sxs.

I had a cow throwing her head and trying to fight my mule a couple years ago. When I decided she wasn't bluffing any more and she dropped her head I hit her going pretty solid with that tough country bumper on the mule. That was the end of that. I saw my uncle try to bluff a bull on an atv and it threw him one way and the atv the other like nothing.

I don't do that stuff to my cattle though. 😄
My cows know when the bike is going putt putt putt putt they're doing the right thing.. when I open up the throttle they better start smartening up! I think the ATV is a nice thing if you don't have both the sxs and the bike, they are complementary
this year I just called my cows and they came running into the corrals, sorted the calves off myself, loaded myself. I've gotten rid of most of the unruly kind of cows that just HAVE to go the wrong way every time, they were a cause of SOOO much frustration... if it looks at me sideways or dekes me out around gates, it grows wheels, I'd rather have 50 lbs less calf and not have to go through that ordeal everytime I move them

I had a 2001 single cab short bed Z71 with the big V8 and 5spd manual. Selling it is one of the biggest regrets of my life. I sold it for an 08 4dr Z71. It didn't take long to realize I screwed up. 😄
That's how I felt after selling the 06 tahoe to my son to get the 2016 silverado, glad I was able to come out on the deal and get the tahoe back. Something breaking on the tahoe don't scare me like something breaking on the 2016 silverado.

While of course comfort is nice, no one has made a real work truck in years.. they put all the effort into smooth rides, which means you have complex front ends that are nothing but repairs if you actually use the darned thing, especially the independent front ends.. Bad enough everyone uses unitized wheel bearings now, just throw $500 away each time they go instead of periodically repacking the old style ones

I said when the 2000 vehicles came out I would never own one. Too many wires. Too much plastic. Can't even see the engine. Take off the cab to change the spark plugs, c'mon.
I have since reduced that to '96 or newer I do not want, Screw OBD II, screw air bags too many wires, too many things to go wrong. Too many wires for rats to eat.

I guess I am just too old and crotchety. About the only truck I would accept is a first gen Dodge Cummins 5 so or something restored from the sixties. You guys can have that new crap.

My cows know when the bike is going putt putt putt putt they're doing the right thing.. when I open up the throttle they better start smartening up! I think the ATV is a nice thing if you don't have both the sxs and the bike, they are complementary
this year I just called my cows and they came running into the corrals, sorted the calves off myself, loaded myself. I've gotten rid of most of the unruly kind of cows that just HAVE to go the wrong way every time, they were a cause of SOOO much frustration... if it looks at me sideways or dekes me out around gates, it grows wheels, I'd rather have 50 lbs less calf and not have to go through that ordeal everytime I move them
I am at this point, don't have an atv or a sxs, but anything too stoopid t o follow a pickup or a feed sack, see ya.

I used to curse the modern things like unit bearings, fuel injection, etc. Until you get used to them and see how nice they are.

Unit bearings are pricey but quick and easy to replace, no adjustments, to "seating" bearings and retightening, etc. Bolt them in, torque the axle nut, and drive for another 100k miles without touching them.

Unless you drive a ford who changes spark plugs anymore? Haha that was a carburetor and early EFI thing for the most part. "Back in the day" we used to do tune ups all the time (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, etc), very few do any of that to make it 200k miles anymore. Heck there's guys who don't even change the oil to make it that far anymore.

I used to curse the modern things like unit bearings, fuel injection, etc. Until you get used to them and see how nice they are.

Unit bearings are pricey but quick and easy to replace, no adjustments, to "seating" bearings and retightening, etc. Bolt them in, torque the axle nut, and drive for another 100k miles without touching them.

Unless you drive a ford who changes spark plugs anymore? Haha that was a carburetor and early EFI thing for the most part. "Back in the day" we used to do tune ups all the time (plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, etc), very few do any of that to make it 200k miles anymore. Heck there's guys who don't even change the oil to make it that far anymore.
well, when changing the spark plugs requires removing the cab to get to remove the heads because the plugs broke off....
Unit bearings are NOT nice, they fail all the time, they're expensive, and i find they're at least as much work to install.
I am at this point, don't have an atv or a sxs, but anything too stoopid t o follow a pickup or a feed sack, see ya.
Good policy
Here's my cows coming home for weaning, I've culled everything that didn't cooperate

We can disagree about unit bearings. I'll skip packing bearings, seating bearings, adjustments, replacing damaged spindles, fixing the fine spindle nut threads, leaking wheel seals, etc.

As for them failing all the time I had a chevy cobalt that went thru 2 sets in 220k miles. I have 2 superdutys currently one with 105k on original wheel bearings, and the other with 260k and on its 3rd set ( its also a farm truck and wears a plow 7 months of the year). If I can get that kind of life I won't complain a bit.

Never had to remove a cab to do spark plugs on anything, but i refuse to work on any ford gas motors so i never have to deal with broken or spit out plugs requiring head removal. Also can't remember the last time I needed to or was asked to put plugs in any modern GM vehicle (I'd have to dig thru my records but I can't remember putting plugs in any customer vehicle in at least 10 years).

I'm at 240,000 on a 2006 GM 5.3 and I've never touched the ignition system. I've replaced a fuel pump at 170,000, and a power steering gearbox a few weeks ago.
Yes, also normal stuff like wheel bearings, brakes, belts, hoses, etc. but not a spark plug yet.

You can add greaseable front end parts to that list. People seem obsessed with wanting something to grease, when the sealed OEM parts will outlast whatever crummy aftermarket stuff with grease fittings two or three times over, without needing to crawl under and grease them.

I'll take a hub assembly any day over all of the monkey business in straight axle 4x4s with lockout hubs, or pressed in wheel bearings.

I do still change plugs now and then, even precious metal plugs are only meant to go 100k.

Latest posts