200,000+ miles

Help Support CattleToday:

I get you but its not even close. If you can consider taking a truck we are not even on the same level. One of the biggest problems with the truck is even if you make it... things will be so rutted up and tore up every one will be POed. I can be checking cattle in standing water easing around doing what I need to do with out making a mess. Trucks aren't even an option in WTX.

I use the sxs to check, move, pen cattle like some one would a horse. Its not as nimble as a horse but its far better than a truck. I wont mess with cattle on an atv.

To each their own. A lot of people don't NEED a sxs like I may. No doubt most people probably have them because they enjoy them. Like me for example when I was down with covid the first chance I could stand it I went to one of the places pretty close to the house and drove around in the sxs for a couple hours. Thats my peace or happy place what ever you want to call it. I like the open air, being able to see tracks, and sheds, fence lines, etc. I like really driving through the cattle to look them over good. The wildlife respond totally different to me in a sxs vs a truck. There is so much you miss, if you like that stuff like that, when you are in a vehicle. I get big bucks step out and stare at me down a ROW or Nalgia tucked in a mesquite watching me as I go by. Ive shot quite a few hogs wallered up and I just see those ears poking up as I go by. Running dogs out of a truck sucks also. For me you just get a total different experience in a sxs vs a vehicle. Same can be said for being horseback but I like a canopy and cup holders when I ride. :)

Last edited:
I get you but its not even close. If you can consider taking a truck we are not even on the same level. One of the biggest problems with the truck is even if you make it... things will be so rutted up and tore up every one will be POed. I can be checking cattle in standing water easing around doing what I need to do with out making a mess. Trucks aren't even an option in WTX.

I use the sxs to check, move, pen cattle like some one would a horse. Its not as nimble as a horse but its far better than a truck. I wont mess with cattle on an atv.

To each their own. A lot of people don't NEED a sxs like I may. No doubt most people probably have them because they enjoy them. Like me for example when I was down with covid the first chance I could stand it I went to one of the places pretty close to the house and drove around in the sxs for a couple hours. Thats my peace or happy place what ever you want to call it. I like the open air, being able to see tracks, and sheds, fence lines, etc. I like really driving through the cattle to look them over good. The wildlife respond totally different to me in a sxs vs a truck. There is so much you miss, if you like that stuff like that, when you are in a vehicle. I get big bucks step out and stare at me down a ROW or Nalgia tucked in a mesquite watching me as I go by. Ive shot quite a few hogs wallered up and I just see those ears poking up as I go by. Running dogs out of a truck sucks also. For me you just get a total different experience in a sxs vs a vehicle. Same can be said for being horseback but I like a canopy and cup holders when I ride. :)
You pretty much nailed it. Side by is for recreation. Truck for work.

Seems like you and I have debated over the years ATV verses sxs. I was always in favor of an ATV over a sxs. I've had a sxs for about 2 years now. Love it. It's just an old chuckwagon, but the minute it requires a repair to expensive to fool with, I plan to get a modern sxs. Don't see me being without one.

You pretty much nailed it. Side by is for recreation. Truck for work.
It depends on what and where your work is.

I regularly took my sxs to work when I was doing O&G. I ran pipelines with it both existing and new construction and my company paid me extra for it. Our company owned several in ND for the field guys to do the same.

Seems like you and I have debated over the years ATV verses sxs. I was always in favor of an ATV over a sxs. I've had a sxs for about 2 years now. Love it. It's just an old chuckwagon, but the minute it requires a repair to expensive to fool with, I plan to get a modern sxs. Don't see me being without one.

I think so.

The sxs have just gotten so much more capable over the years. Power steering is what changed the game IMO. It makes the sxs so much more nimble and usable.

My uncle is trying to sell me a Rancher right now super cheap. I debated buying it but I know the reality is I won't use it when I can load a sxs up. It's just the way it is.

If I remember right yall had mountain type stuff. I would look at a Can Am Defender. They are pricey but extremely capable.

Seen the same with our mini truck. They just don't react to it, look up and go right back to whatever they were doing. They will bolt when a pickup or ATV comes a long.

I guess because it's quiet and they're used to it lumbering around.

I have a 2002 1500 4x4 chevy with over 240,000 miles, original motor and trans. I have a 2006 Tahoe 4x4 that was my wife's then my son's now it's my wife's again. I think it has right under 270,000, original motor, trans has been worked on but not replaced or rebuilt, can't remember what was replaced on the trans. We just sold a 2016 silverado crew 4x4 with 65,000 that was my wife's truck and put her back in the 270k tahoe. I trust the tahoe better than the 2016 truck. The new trucks have too much crap on them, cost too much to repair, and don't seem as dependable as the old stuff. The market was good to sell so we sold it and made a few bucks while getting to drive it a while for free basically. The 4 cylinder mode as well as the 8 spd transmission scared me on the 2016, it shifted funny and are also known to have torque converter issues. Any fullsize gm 99-06 are very dependable, cheap to work on, fuel efficient and parts are readily available.

I use a 96 geo tracker as a side by side, about 1/4 the cost and has heat and a cab for the winter.

I'm one of those fools with both a Rancher and a Kubota sxs and wouldn't have it any other way. Actually two Ranchers. I have one old beat up 2003 rancher that is dedicated to spot spraying. With scattered mesquite trees, ravines, and just plain old rough ground, I limit driving my truck off the road. They both have their place and with basic maintenance, last a long time as the 2003 has proven. I would hate to do without either of these two types of machines.

Here there is NO way your getting a truck where a side by side can go. Well, unless you want to fish it out of a ravine or in the woods at the bottom of a steep hill.

I'm one of those fools with both a Rancher and a Kubota sxs and wouldn't have it any other way. Actually two Ranchers. I have one old beat up 2003 rancher that is dedicated to spot spraying. With scattered mesquite trees, ravines, and just plain old rough ground, I limit driving my truck off the road. They both have their place and with basic maintenance, last a long time as the 2003 has proven. I would hate to do without either of these two types of machines.
Don't say that... you are going to talk me in to one. 😄 Naw, both of the ranchers he wants to sell are 4wd. One MS and one ES. If they were 2wd I would be all over it.

Don't say that... you are going to talk me in to one. 😄 Naw, both of the ranchers he wants to sell are 4wd. One MS and one ES. If they were 2wd I would be all over it.
I'd be interested in a good used rancher...
Maybe you could make a little and I could save a little..... just saying..
Why no 4x4??

2000 Chevy Silverado 2500, gas, 280,000 miles. Owned since new. We have a few others, too, and they all say Chevy or GMC on them by happenstance not deliberate.

I had several single cab and ext cab 96-02 Z71s. What I would give to have them back.

A single cab Z71 with a V8 would do burnouts through 3 gears on pavement and eat a Toyota or Jeep up in the mud.
If they would start remaking those years of trucks I would mortgage the farm to buy a fleet of them.

If they would start remaking those years of trucks I would mortgage the farm to buy a fleet of them.
I had a 2001 single cab short bed Z71 with the big V8 and 5spd manual. Selling it is one of the biggest regrets of my life. I sold it for an 08 4dr Z71. It didn't take long to realize I screwed up. 😄

we have 4 dodge diesels, 3 of them are well over 200K miles, the last one we got has only 100k (3x 1993's and 1 1994). When I look at the price of just the new parts on the new trucks, injectors costing $500 each, etc, well, I can get a whole set for less than that... I can rebuild or buy a different engine for under $2k, I can fix the transmissions myself, etc

On most auto tranny trucks, I'd recommend getting a shift kit installed, often they're set up to be smooth shifting, which means for some time during the gear change, both gears are engaged and that's hard on the clutches, shift them faster, shift them with no overlap and you reduce heat and wear.

On my place I don't need a sxs, I have an old Yamaha big bear, it's a simple workhorse that's dependable, if I'm going to chase cows, I'm going to do it on a dirt bike though, FAR more nimble and the old XR500 is no match for a cow running at full tilt

we have 4 dodge diesels, 3 of them are well over 200K miles, the last one we got has only 100k (3x 1993's and 1 1994). When I look at the price of just the new parts on the new trucks, injectors costing $500 each, etc, well, I can get a whole set for less than that... I can rebuild or buy a different engine for under $2k, I can fix the transmissions myself, etc

On most auto tranny trucks, I'd recommend getting a shift kit installed, often they're set up to be smooth shifting, which means for some time during the gear change, both gears are engaged and that's hard on the clutches, shift them faster, shift them with no overlap and you reduce heat and wear.

On my place I don't need a sxs, I have an old Yamaha big bear, it's a simple workhorse that's dependable, if I'm going to chase cows, I'm going to do it on a dirt bike though, FAR more nimble and the old XR500 is no match for a cow running at full tilt
I agree. We use to put servo kits on our old auto transmissions. I put clutch kits on all my sxs and atvs with cvts. It's makes all the difference in performance and reliability.

You might be surprised what a new sxs will do. We have a Can Am Defendender that will run 60mph down the highway no problem and it's not quite topped out. You have more power than traction most times on grass and dirt. They have no problem running a cow or hog or what ever down. Like a dirt bike, they are dangerously fast.

I have a friend who will broadside cows and yearlings with Rangers and tie them.

I agree. We use to put servo kits on our old auto transmissions. I put clutch kits on all my sxs and atvs with cvts. It's makes all the difference in performance and reliability.

You might be surprised what a new sxs will do. We have a Can Am Defendender that will run 60mph down the highway no problem and it's not quite topped out. You have more power than traction most times on grass and dirt. They have no problem running a cow or hog or what ever down. Like a dirt bike, they are dangerously fast.

I have a friend who will broadside cows and yearlings with Rangers and tie them.
a side by side is fine if you have open ground, if there's bushes and trees, you're lost

Latest posts