200,000+ miles

Help Support CattleToday:

97 F350 powerstroke with 230K. Has new transmission, second set of wheel seals, second set of brakes, new fuel system (fuel bowl delete after plumbing was leaking everywhere), rebuilt steering linkage. Shooting for 300K+. Last 12 months has eaten $9K in repairs. Hope we are good for a while.

Did GM ever fit these problems?
Is there a mileage at which these problems get more troublesome?

The best "fix" is to put a tuner on them off the lot and disable the DOD. It doesn't save much fuel anyway. GM made some improvements but I don't think they're totally fixed. Dodge had many of the same problems with their cylinder deactivation, Ford went a different direction with the Ecoboost, which has it's own set of issues.

Many don't have any problems, but it's not uncommon for them to burn oil, or start ticking because of lifter failure.

The 6.2 did not get DOD until 2014, the 6.0 in HD trucks never got it at all. Those are safer bets.

Can't remember the last one I owned that I didn't get at least 200,000 out of. They have all been Fords in the last 20 yrs. I did finally buy one with less than 100,000 last year, first one I have owned since 03 I can say that about. Current list topper is a 00' model F 350 that is at 427,000 miles. Putting new o rings in the oil cooler this week but otherwise haven't touched the motor. Got a new trans last year after the throw out bearing got the input shaft.

I never scrap a vehicle because of high mileage problems. They usually run just fine its the rust that is the death of them. When the frames, subframes, suspension mounts, etc rot away is when I send them to the crusher.

Vehicles have gotten more durable, and new cars have also gotten crazy high priced.
Over 25% of vehicles on the road today were built before 2006.
In 2013 over 20% of new car sales were less than 20k, but in 2020 only 9.8% of new cars sold for less than 20k. In December 2020 the average new vehicle selling price broke $38,000.

In part, all of the new technology has driven new car prices sky high.
40 years ago it was possible to buy new without all of the added options.
But dealers learned that by only offering fully loaded new vehicles they could force new car buyers to buy all of the options, thus increasing their profits.
40 years ago upgrading to a new vehicle every 5 years was a common practice.
But with increased durability buyers are now keeping their cars longer.
A 2007 Toyota Tundra hit the million mile mark and Toyota gave the owner a new 2016 Tundra in exchange for his old one. 111,111 miles x 9 yrs = 999,999

Manufacturers built the most vehicles in automotive history in 2016. Which leads me to believe that because of supply, buying a 2015-2017 used vehicle will be the best value in automotive history.

Best thing I have done to make my truck hold up was to buy a side by side ATV, I use it for everything and the truck mostly stays in the shed. Also replaces the tractor for a lot of things.
I know I can buy a pickup for less than a SxS. Won't it also be cheaper to run a pre 2007 pickup truck than a SxS ?

I know I can buy a pickup for less than a SxS. Won't it also be cheaper to run a pre 2007 pickup truck than a SxS ?
Depends on the terrain and what you are doing.

I have and old F150 I paid $1000 for. It's great for running and checking on things and picking parts up and bouncing through the pasture where it can make it.

There is no replacement for where a sxs can get you that a truck can't.

I'll give you another example. Let's say I drive 7 hrs out to wtx or 3 hours down south, with no cell service, rocks, stumps, and who knows what else. If my sxs rips a tire out I can run it. I may destroy a rim and tire but I'll get back to the truck and drive some where. Even if it isn't able to be driven I can walk back to my truck and go. When you out there and destroy a truck you are screwed. If a sxs or atv breaks down out in some remote place another atv or utv can drag it back or get it unstuck. When 3/4 tons and 1 tons break down out there it's a lot more headache getting them back to civilization be repaired.

I have put numbers together for the ranches I take care of for purchasing and maintaining a sxs vs jeeps or old trucks or what ever... the sxs will come out better every time. They have next to zero repairs and the resale is really good.

I'm not saying a sxs is the silver bullet by any means. If you can do a job with and old truck or a sxs, go with the sxs. There is no replacing each one individually though. If you need a truck... you need a truck. If you need a horse... you need a horse. If you need a sxs, you need a sxs. They are each different tools for different jobs when you have to have them.

I have a 2002 Ford F250 with the power stroke that has 302,000 miles and a 2008 KIA Spectra with 274,000 miles. They are my drive every day vehicles. No serious issues with either one.
That '02 is a real gem of a truck, J.L. Trent has one he's holding for me until I can save up enough money for the down payment.

That '02 is a real gem of a truck, J.L. Trent has one he's holding for me until I can save up enough money for the down payment.
For what Trent's truck is worth now you better be saving up. I am hoping he gets ready to sell it before you get your pennies saved up so that I can beat you to it!

As far as durability goes in the newer stuff, if I am paying $80k for a new truck it better last me 30 years and 500,000 miles.

Vehicles haven't really gone up a whole lot. 1999 F250 XLT had an MSRP of 27k, that's 44k today. Considering all that you're getting in a 2021 model, not too bad.

Wages haven't kept up, so it seems like they're way more expensive than they are. 5+ year notes becoming commonplace are a symptom of that.

So now I'm interested in what the problem is in Tahoes/Yukons. We have a 2017 Yukon Denali, with only 36,000 miles on it. It has the change from V8 to V4. Should we buy the extended warranty? We plan to keep this for quite awhile. It's a great outfit. Thanks for any reply. We really don't believe in extended warranties, but if there is a KNOWN problem, we sure would consider it.

My uncle's half ton Chevy needed the engine rebuilt at 70k. My dad has one around 140k and he keeps hearing stories of them crapping out before 150k. These are all newer to within 10 or so years old - the ones that switch between 4 and 8 cylinders.

I have and old F150 I paid $1000 for. It's great for running and checking on things and picking parts up and bouncing through the pasture where it can make it.

Great answer Brute.

I run between 3 properties for up to 9 miles. We have wet or timbered areas you would not want to drive a truck through, but not really rough stuff. I leave a depreciated ATV at each one.

Most SxS owners here have hobby farms or a small deer hunting property. The hobby farmers ride their SxS up and down the country roads eating my dust because they don't have many acres. Most of the deer hunters trailer them to a property, park them next to their deer stand, and then complain about only seeing small deer...

Last edited:

I have put numbers together for the ranches I take care of for purchasing and maintaining a sxs vs jeeps or old trucks or what ever... the sxs will come out better every time. They have next to zero repairs and the resale is really good.
When does a jeep pencil out?

Its hard to explain where the line between the truck and sxs but once you have one you will know. Like some one said, it will significantly reduce the time you are in the pasture with your trucks which does save money.

My uncle has two Ranchers he wants me to buy or sell for him. There is little to no market for them. I saw a nice Foreman and Rancher for sale last week and they weren't even getting bites. I'm about to put a Ranger up for sale that is almost the same year model. I'll have it sold for $5K with in a couple hours of posting it.

I'll give you another example. Let's say I drive 7 hrs out to wtx or 3 hours down south, with no cell service, rocks, stumps, and who knows what else. If my sxs rips a tire out I can run it. I may destroy a rim and tire but I'll get back to the truck and drive some where. Even if it isn't able to be driven I can walk back to my truck and go. When you out there and destroy a truck you are screwed. If a sxs or atv breaks down out in some remote place another atv or utv can drag it back or get it unstuck. When 3/4 tons and 1 tons break down out there it's a lot more headache getting them back to civilization be repaired.

I'm not saying a sxs is the silver bullet by any means. If you can do a job with and old truck or a sxs, go with the sxs. There is no replacing each one individually though. If you need a truck... you need a truck. If you need a horse... you need a horse. If you need a sxs, you need a sxs. They are each different tools for different jobs when you have to have them.

I disagree and agree. My 2000 4x4 tundra will go most anywhere including down the highway. Parts and maintenance is no more than side x side. I drove it from lometa to lampasas on a wheel. So that can be done side x or truck. But I keep good tires a spare a jack and a impact.
I do use a side x on large fence projects. I take it and leave it there until we're done. Now a 4 wheeler is a important tool. It will go where a horse can't....
I do strongly agree. There's no universal tool. If you don't have a few trucks, a tractor, skid steer, 4 wheeler, side x, 4 wheeler, and horse.... your under equipped and need to go shopping.........

Latest posts