2 yr old heifer questions

Help Support CattleToday:

crazy4equines

Reaction score
Hello I have a couple of questions i was hoping you guys could help me out with. This will be our first time having calves born on our farm, I have had tons of goats born and horses but never a heifer or cow for that matter. Our heifer is a herford and we bred her to a belted galloway so we are anxiously waiting for her to calve, which should be in April. We don't have an exact date as she was in with the bull, we just have an idea of when she is due off of the vets exam when he preg. checked her last fall. Our heifer was vaccinated per the vets recomendation 2 months ago, I think I gave her Vision 8 and Vira Shield 6. Now is there anything I need to do for the calf when it is born? I know I need to dip the navel cord, watch for any signs of stress during labor and after. I know the calf should get most of what it needs nutrionally from the heifer but didn't know if I should get it any kind of vitamin or selenium shots? I know our soil is deficient in selenium, The 2 heifers that we have do have a salt/mineral lick plus I feed them a grain mix from our local mill. I feed the 2 heifers together about 6 pounds of grain 2 times a day and they have a free choice grass hay round bale and they have been starting to go out to pasture. Do you think it would be better for her to calve in a stall or out in the pasture? Thanks for any help, it is much appreciated.

Check with your vet about the possible need for selenium. You'll have to get it from him/her anyway. Calve in the pasture, keep an eye on her but don;t get involved unless it's necessarry. And don;t pester her, let her do what nature tells her to do unless their is a problem.

We do have coyotes in the area, should I worry about them getting the calf or will momma be protective enough? I havent heard the coyotes in awhile and they seem to around more in the colder months, we do shoot them when we see them. I have to see the vet in a couple weeks so I will ask him then, I know I asked him a bunch of questions when he was out to do the horses coggins but for the life of me I can't remember what he said,lol. I have been watching her everyday going out there and brushing her and the other bred heifer that we have. Thanks

just watch her and stay away. remember its her first time too. get a good pair of Binoculars for when she starts so you can watch from AFAR. there are plenty of posts on here on what to look for and signs of distress.

thanks for the info..its good to know, i would much rather have her calve in the pasture :D I have done alot of reading about heifers and calving and know they like their privacy.

We have a 20 acre patch that we try to rotate heavy bred cows onto so they have some space and resources, yet are in a small enough place to be able to keep an eye on them easily.

Taurus":13lp1jtk said:
Every ranches always have coyotes but I never lost a single calf to the coyotes and other predators.

My friend lost 2 to coyotes already this year. Not all calves killed by coyotes are killed directly. In both cases a pack went thru the cows and got them so riled up that they stepped on their calves and killed them.

3waycross":2hyjjjj3 said:
Taurus":2hyjjjj3 said:
Every ranches always have coyotes but I never lost a single calf to the coyotes and other predators.

My friend lost 2 to coyotes already this year. Not all calves killed by coyotes are killed directly. In both cases a pack went thru the cows and got them so riled up that they stepped on their calves and killed them.
I have LOTS of coyotes (not mentioning wolf populations has increasing) prowling around the ranch, but I lost the calves to other causes. The only calf (or should I say yearling) I lost to a predation...by neighbor's crazy dogs. We finally nailed one of these dogs.

i would quit giving the heavy bred heifer the grain,shes getting enuff with the hay,pasture,mineral and u dont want that baby growing too big.a calf does ALOT of growing the last month b4 its born.

Latest posts