2" water well

Help Support CattleToday:

kb5iod

Reaction score
I have a well on the place that had a piston type Myers pump which used a suckle rod. I need a new pump but the problem is that the well diameter is only 2". The suckle rod was 63' long and there is currently water at 18'. However, I don't know if this is the normal level or a result of pulling the rod. Anyone have any suggestions on a way to get water out of this well? Do they make a 2" submersible or is there some type of above-ground pump that may work? I use it to water livestock.

With those old 2 inch holes theo nly thing that will work reliably is a jack pump. With a jack pump the most common problem is athe cylnder at the bottom either cracked or the the foot valve is damaged in some way. Pulling th sucker rod without pulling the lift pipe won;t get you to where you have to be to fix things.
Any well compnay can fix or get whatever you need to make things right.
The jack pumps may be slow but thewy're reliable, but to really get there worth you almost have to have a holding tank.

dun

Herefordcross":2uu0spos said:
Never seen a well that size around here. I have seen those well points advertised, is that what they're for DUN?

Well points are for driving into sandy/gravelly soils, don;t know how they get the water out. The only ones I've seen that were driven and succesfull where into springs and Ma Nature took care of the pumping. I suppose an old fashioned hand pump would work too.

dun

In a previous life I was a well driller. Of course depending on the area of the US you are in well techniques vary. We used well points here for what we refer to as shallow wells (FLA). We would drive the well point into a saturated bed of hopefully shell. The well point has a fine mesh stainless screen around it and the pipe has holes or sometimes slits covered with this. We would use jet pumps to pull the water through the well point screen. The jet pump was at the surface. If the water table was really low we would use a foot valve on the end of a drop pipe.

He mentioned 18 feet I think. This is approaching the lift limit of a jet pump with a foot valve on the bottom. It completely rules out a centrifugal pump. In a 2" inch pipe you can drop 1 1/4 inch pvc if it has slip couplings built on. I normally just used a 1 inch pvc pipe with a foot valve on the bottom.

There are also injection pumps that can pull water that far up a pipe. It is typically a jet pump with a different head on the pump. I would talk to a driller in your area.

We do have deep wells here that are drilled down to a layer of rock, then a bit is driller through the rock and into (hopefully) and under ground stream. A driller will almost always know within 10-20 feet how far down he has to go depending on the area.

I am not familiar with the pump Dun mentioned but it sounds like it might work in your area. If you can find a "good" well man, they are usually willing to give advice. A "bad" well man will want to come out and charge you just to look.

Local well man says there is a cylinder at the bottom of the 2" pipe that works in conjunction with the foot valve on the suckle rod. Therefore, the water is deeper than 18' because the cylinder is holding it in the pipe. I have found some new leathers for the old Myers piston pump so I am going to give it another try.

Myers made good pumps at one time. Been out of that arena for many years so I don't know if the quality is still there. You shouldn't have had a problem finding leathers for that pump.

Latest posts