2 strand high tensile fence ?

Help Support CattleToday:

I usually go 3 wire, each a foot apart, the lowest about a foot off the ground, hot-ground-hot.. Never done a 2 wire with a ground wire, always had both hot, and about a 18+18" spacing.

Ditto for me, but I don't use high tensile, we found some really good 3/16th stainless stranded electric fence wire that has really held up well... MUCH easier to roll up!, I have a piece of threaded rod in my 1/2" cordless drill and can roll up a 250 yard fence in about a minute.. Doing it with a cordless drill instead of by hand also means you don't add or remove twist from it. I usually start the fence at about hip height, and once they've grazed the grass off I'll lower it down a couple inches.

2 strand electric, one hot, one ground only works for yearlings - calves won't respect it. Space should be, ground wire 25 inches from ground, hot wire 10 inches above ground wire (35 inches from ground).

Majority of my place (even perimeter fence) is 2 strands - both hot - at 20 & 30". Have not had 'escape' issues in over a decade - and that was calves that wouldn't stay in, 'cause the fence wasn't 'hot' enough. They took a ride to town, and I cleaned things up and got the shorts/grounds taken care of.

My electric fence is 1 hot and one ground about 6-10 inches apart. I want the animal to get both wires at the same time. I ran the ground wire because the ground was so dry the animals were not getting shocked. I have not had a problem since I ran the ground wire.

We run 2 hot, one at the knees and the other waist high. Calves less than a month old have gone under or through it. So far we have not had any cows get out. We try and turn the fence off till the calves get a few weeks old. Our fence paralyzed our neighbors dog so we try and keep it off when we have young calves.

highgrit":1qd1avah said:
Our fence paralyzed our neighbors dog so we try and keep it off when we have young calves.

You do know that you are supposed to use a fence box for an electric fence. :lol: What kind of charger are you using that is that hot? I have a 50 mile box on 300 yards of fence and it will hurt your teeth a d you taste copper for a week, but I do not think it would paralyze anything.

What is the goal of this fence? Are you planning on keeping it permanent or is it a temporary thing? I think we'd all be able to give you better advice if we knew the purpose of it.

If it's going to be permanent, don't mess with 2 wire, go with a legal fence if it's on the property border (that definition varies with area, but here its 5 wires with droppers)
If it's a dividing fence that's relatively permanent, I still like 5 wires, but don't use droppers
If it's a rotation grazing fence that you're taking out on a regular basis, 1 or 2 wire with a 3/16" poly/stainless braided line is good enough, both hot, and I use 3/8" steel posts I can drive into the ground with a hammer.

Latest posts