2 more pics of Bull calf for opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

prime-B-ranch

Reaction score
Here are two more pics from hopefuly better angles of the bull calf I had previously planned on keeping but may be thinking of going a different route after reading some opinions here. I took more pics from different angles because I really do appreciate the previous opinions and one of the major issues was the quality and angle of the previous picture. I hope these 2 pics are a little bit better. Your thoughts and opinions highly appreciated from someone trying to make the best decision and learn about grading genetics. THX!!
capt_front.jpg

capt_back.jpg

Honestly, I would agree with just about everyone that has already posted. I would cut him and sell him as a steer. He doesn't have a lot of ham to him and his top line is not very flat or smooth. Just not what I would be looking for in a herd sire. You need to ask yourself what your goals are for your cowherd. Sit down and write those goals down. Define what type of calf you are wanting to produce. Are you wanting just feeder animals that you sell by the pound? Are you planning on keeping replacements from your own herd or buy them? If these are both goals of yours, just like majority of people out there, then I would suggest you use a combination of AI and a continental breed (Charolais or Sim) as a cleanup bull. I would use a good maternal Angus bull or Hereford bull for AI and select replacements from those calves that are AI sired. This will allow you access to top quality bulls without having to pay for those high dollar bulls. a word of caution about AI bulls: many of the bulls at AI studs are there because they put up big numbers in a feedlot environment, not because they put up big numbers in a tough environment. Many of them are very large framed and will make hard doing replacements, so pick your AI bulls carefully and talk to as many people as possible. Your neighbors that are using AI will be a big help in choosing bulls that produce heifers that work in your area. As far as the cleanup bull, you can get a good Char bull or Sim bull relatively cheap and you will add pounds to them in a hurry.

These are just my thoughts!

He just looks girly, from top to bottum not enough meat. Just because he came from GREAT angus does not mean a thing. There are a lot of steers from great sires.There are a lot of sires that should have been steers. He looks well fed but just does have the meat on his bones, how old is he?

I am assuming well past 1 year. :2cents:

Some of these replies are a little harsh -- but why dont you just go buy a good registered bull (breed of your choice) and be done with it --- your herd bull represents your future -- junk plus junk always equals more junk --- where ya from?

JS

30 minutes east of Dallas...I was attempting to get opinions on the quality of this bull calf along with the reason why. So far I have learned that his back is not straight and he lacks muscle for his age so cut him and make him a steer. I appreciate the opinions I have received on the quality of this animal. I am now consodering looking into just purchasing a quality angus bull to replace our current herd sire. Our current herd bull is getting pretty heavy in my opinion for our average size cows. He is 7 years old. I am sure he will be perfect for someone with larger frame cows for several more years. So I may try and sell him on Craigslist and use that money towards a new younger bull. Thank you to everyone that posted

Latest posts