2 labs need training

Help Support CattleToday:

fojokin

Reaction score
Is there any secrect's you could tell me to teach my 4month old lab and 2 year old labrador retriever. As of right now I do not live on the ranch, so its usually 3 days a week Im there and the older one keeps barking at.. every animal. He likes to chase the heifers out of formation instead of keeping them in. I have only seen him herd 1 loose cannon one time. :( Is there any tricks or is it all trial and error? Thanks, Stephen.

While most any breed of dog can be trained to herd, those that are developed for it are far more effective then one that isn;t. A heeler may retrieve, but won;t be as good at it as Lab. I'ld keep the dogs away from the cattle except as a compnaion while wandering around.

dun

As Dun said, Labs are retreivers (bird dogs). If you don't get the 2 year old under control, the pup will be EXACTLY the same way. He is learning from the older dog.
You may need to look at getting a bark collar.
When you are there, you need to put the dogs on a lead, and "pop" the lead whenever they bark.
With only 3 days a week, you are climbing an uphill battle. They need constant supervision.

You got some good advice and you had better pen that lab if he isn't cause around here a dog runnin cows has a short life span, and you are teaching him to run em.

Your lab has decided that the cows need to be barked at - maybe as an intruder or perhaps as toys - whatever the reason you have to stop it now -
I've taught many obedience classes and bad behavior only gets worse if you don't stop it and yes puppies learn from example

put the dog on a leash - that way you are in control of the situation - make the dog learn what you want him to do and be very very good at it before you ever think of taking him off lead -

Jeanne - Simme Valley":32raisxr said:
When you are there, you need to put the dogs on a lead, and "pop" the lead whenever they bark.

remember to use any training tool - a bark collar, pop from a leash, choke chain, or pinch (prong) collar - as just that, a tool
they are an extension of your hand and voice, be careful to not overdo the extension - do not use them to punish, only as a extension of what you are asking -
remember to praise even the smallest amount of the behavior that you want
the barking dog that is yelled at may think that you have joined the barking party - however a barking dog that is whispered at during the brief time it is quiet will listen to that whisper especially if it is a "good quiet or good shutup"

mdmdogs3":23x9ohyb said:
remember to use any training tool - a bark collar, pop from a leash, choke chain, or pinch (prong) collar - as just that, a tool
they are an extension of your hand and voice, be careful to not overdo the extension - do not use them to punish, only as a extension of what you are asking -
the barking dog that is yelled at may think that you have joined the barking party - however a barking dog that is whispered at during the brief time it is quiet will listen to that whisper especially if it is a "good quiet or good shutup"

this was well said thank you.
fojoking have you tried leaving the older lab at home to see what the puppy would do? i'm not going to say you wont ever teach that older lab to behave around cattle but i will say this our first lab since he was 10 weeks old i guess, he barked and chased the cows. all day long. i tried everthing. sonny got up to 145 lbs. he was a huge yellow lab, and tugging on leashes just was'nt an opition. he died a couple days after a nasty fight with 3 coyotes. 3 years go by and my wife wants a chocolate lab, well a guy in the paper has this 1 year old and he told us it has never been around any animals so on the way home i bet my wife $100 her new dog was going to cause me heart ache and chase the cows to no end. guess what. the dog dont bark at them, stays a few feet away,etc etc. but if the kids are with me he'll keep his self between him and the kids and he'll let the cows when they get to close. this is not any training its just the dogs personility. just something to think about.

mdmdogs3":2t0zst44 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2t0zst44 said:

Absolutely correct!!! There is a fine line between discipline & praise. Gotta know WHEN to do each one.

I've been having issues with my young Giant Schnauzer chasing horses and sheep. He came to me at 15mo old as a city boy who had never seen livestock and was booted out of 2 homes for being dog aggressive. I can tell you that chasing stock is a very hard habit to break. I would suggest you work on basic obedience away from the cattle. When you have come, sit, down, stay well trained you can then work around cattle. I would also remedy the stock chasing before thinking about making working dogs out of them. Take one dog at a time to the farm/ranch. Keep the dog on a leash. Go about your business...it is the dogs responsibility to keep track of you. Use your obedience drills when you have work to do...sit while you open a gate, down while you unload feed etc. You must be diligent and consistant. Keep the dog busy doing things you want, less time to be interested in cattle. Put the dog in the truck or get a crate for times you simply have to have both hands and your full attention on the task at hand.
I have been a full year at getting prey drive under control in my dog. He is 95% reliable around adult horses. I still pen him when doing certain things. He is 80% reliable around adult sheep. He is better with the rams than the ewes. I wouldn't trust him for one second around colts or lambs. Don't know if he will ever be able to be loose around the babies. It is a trade off, he is an outstanding dog in all other regards so I deal with having to secure him during certain times.
Good luck
Michelle

2 year old is under control, he no longer barks at the ladies.. or the bulls.. infact he is now too quite he stays at my heals, but other than that I believe I will keep him at home and train the little one from the get go. Thanks for the advice! :D

Latest posts