2,4-d

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":jjazkl25 said:
Texas PaPaw, is Tordon still on the market? I was under the impression it had been banned.

Yes Just bought a gallon. I believe it cost $91. It is a restricted use pesticide that requires a license. It is also hormone herbicide, kind of a cousin to 2,4-d or dicamba but has more soil residual. Was told mixing 2 different hormone herbicides were more effective than alone. Kind of like hybrid vigor in crossbred animals.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

J":3bo7mnve said:
Texas PaPaw":3bo7mnve said:
dun":3bo7mnve said:
Cormac":3bo7mnve said:
As long as we are discussing 2,4-D and if Dun does not mind a slight hijack. Why do thay say do not apply when temps. are above 90 degrees? Secondly, what is an effective mix ratio for spot treatment of Bull Nettle, Milkweed, and other broad leaf in a pasture? How about Poison Ivy and thistle along a fence line? I use the 47% solution 2, 4-D amine.

For spot spraying the 47% stuff I've alwasy used 7.5 oz a gallon. Bull nettle is the only one that it doesn;t seem to work well on unless I hit it again 2 weeks later.

dun

My chemical dealer recommended 4oz 2,4-d + 2oz Tordon + 2 oz surfactant per gallon for spot spraying bull nettle, milkweed & silverleaf nightshade. Will also add 2oz of MSMA to the mix for prickly pear. Will start spraying this when the wind is right.

For broadcast spraying of bitterweed, croton & other annual broadleafs we use 1 qt of rangestar (2,4-d+dicamba) per acre with good results. Seems to work better than 2,4-d alone.

Would think you could reduce the rate proportionally for the ester formulation. Be carefull with drift toward suceptible plants.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Brock

Have you used this mixture on cactus (prickly pear) before? If so how did it work? I've been told of another mix that contains Tordon, diesel and an emulsifier (dish soap) and dye. I need to start spraying for cactus myself. I've been talking about doing it for some time now but I guess since we are right smack in the middle of a drought, now would be the perfect time huh?

J

Have not used this on cactus before. It is the mix recommended by my dealer & he uses it on his own place. He said the surfactant & MSMA will penetrate the waxy coat on the pear pads.

Not sure if the drought will improve or impair control. Anybody have ideas about spraying cactus during a drought?

Brock

Latest posts