2,4-d

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
I've alwasy used 2,4-d Amine that says it's 47.2% the chemical. The new stuff I got is ester and is 64.2% or right at that. Going from memory here, too lazy to walk down to the chemical storage. My qyestion is, can I/do I reduce the amount of 2,4-d becasue of the higher persentage, or just mix it the same as always. This is for spot spraying, for tank mixing the quantities it shows span theose of the amine for the same plants.

thanks
dun

At 47%, I'm told the application rate is 1 qt / acre. I use a sprayer that applies 100 gallons / acre so my mix rate is 1 qt / 100 gallons. If I spot spray at this rate, things die quickly. 64% would work out to about 24 oz / 100 gallons for the same application rate.

dun":3a3y1k2i said:
I've alwasy used 2,4-d Amine that says it's 47.2% the chemical. The new stuff I got is ester and is 64.2% or right at that. Going from memory here, too lazy to walk down to the chemical storage. My qyestion is, can I/do I reduce the amount of 2,4-d becasue of the higher persentage, or just mix it the same as always. This is for spot spraying, for tank mixing the quantities it shows span theose of the amine for the same plants.

thanks
dun

I don't know if this will help or not, but our 2-4D is sold under the brand name of Platoon. We mix it 2 ounces/gallon of water for Canadian Thistle, probably could get away with less for other weeds.

The label should give you a recommended rate for spot spraying, you should need less anyway as 2,4-D ester formulations are usually more effective, esp. on perrenial weeds. One thing-ester 2,4-D 's are way more volitale and will float, drift etc much worse. Be very careful if any broadleaf crops are near you (cotton is real bad) and it is windy or above 80*F. I have curled leaves on trees from a long ways away with the stuff.

As usual always check the mixing rate on the jug, but you should be able to reduce the mixing rate without reducing the application rate. As said earlier make sure it is sprayed in a responsible manner. Here in LA you can only spray 2,4-D (legally) during certain months. It is detrimental to cotton and deadly to pretty much any botanical species except turfgrass. I know of many people fined in excess of $50,000 for spraying to early or getting sued for destroying acres of crops.

Also add a little dishwashing liquid for more effective killing

As long as we are discussing 2,4-D and if Dun does not mind a slight hijack. Why do thay say do not apply when temps. are above 90 degrees? Secondly, what is an effective mix ratio for spot treatment of Bull Nettle, Milkweed, and other broad leaf in a pasture? How about Poison Ivy and thistle along a fence line? I use the 47% solution 2, 4-D amine.

Cormac":1qbt3b1z said:
As long as we are discussing 2,4-D and if Dun does not mind a slight hijack. Why do thay say do not apply when temps. are above 90 degrees? Secondly, what is an effective mix ratio for spot treatment of Bull Nettle, Milkweed, and other broad leaf in a pasture? How about Poison Ivy and thistle along a fence line? I use the 47% solution 2, 4-D amine.

For spot spraying the 47% stuff I've alwasy used 7.5 oz a gallon. Bull nettle is the only one that it doesn;t seem to work well on unless I hit it again 2 weeks later.

dun

dun":1aknjf9l said:
Cormac":1aknjf9l said:

For spot spraying the 47% stuff I've alwasy used 7.5 oz a gallon. Bull nettle is the only one that it doesn;t seem to work well on unless I hit it again 2 weeks later.

dun

My chemical dealer recommended 4oz 2,4-d + 2oz Tordon + 2 oz surfactant per gallon for spot spraying bull nettle, milkweed & silverleaf nightshade. Will also add 2oz of MSMA to the mix for prickly pear. Will start spraying this when the wind is right.

For broadcast spraying of bitterweed, croton & other annual broadleafs we use 1 qt of rangestar (2,4-d+dicamba) per acre with good results. Seems to work better than 2,4-d alone.

Would think you could reduce the rate proportionally for the ester formulation. Be carefull with drift toward suceptible plants.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Cormac":2pca90aq said:
As long as we are discussing 2,4-D and if Dun does not mind a slight hijack. Why do thay say do not apply when temps. are above 90 degrees?

It can basically turn to a vapor and float away to your neighbors crops, your own trees etc. I've personally seen damage over 1/4 mile from a 2, 4-D application-granted it was extremely rare, all the conditions were just right (or wrong)-that was bad enough to severly reduce the crop yield. Supposedly if you open a jug of 2,4-D in a grape vineyard it will wilt the trees. 2,4-D is a great product, but it and real hot temps don't mix well.

Texas PaPaw, is Tordon still on the market? I was under the impression it had been banned.

msscamp":1gxzjdkj said:
Texas PaPaw, is Tordon still on the market? I was under the impression it had been banned.

Last I heard it was still avavailable but you needed a license to buy it.

dun

Horticattleman":28hd0rx0 said:

I've been spot spraying. Worked well on the cockleburrs around my stock tank.

Next, I plan to hit the bull nettle in the coastal field. I'll try the dishwashing liquid trick.

Does anyone add dye? I tried taking the cheap road and added regular purple clothing dye so I could tell where I stopped and where to begin spraying again. It didn't work. :oops:

A6gal":9sqcbpka said:
Horticattleman":9sqcbpka said:

I've been spot spraying. Worked well on the cockleburrs around my stock tank.

Next, I plan to hit the bull nettle in the coastal field. I'll try the dishwashing liquid trick.

Does anyone add dye? I tried taking the cheap road and added regular purple clothing dye so I could tell where I stopped and where to begin spraying again. It didn't work. :oops:

I used 2 packets of Rit to the gallon and still couldn;t tell where I'ld quit.

dun

Texas PaPaw":2v4a9exk said:
dun":2v4a9exk said:
Cormac":2v4a9exk said:

dun

My chemical dealer recommended 4oz 2,4-d + 2oz Tordon + 2 oz surfactant per gallon for spot spraying bull nettle, milkweed & silverleaf nightshade. Will also add 2oz of MSMA to the mix for prickly pear. Will start spraying this when the wind is right.

For broadcast spraying of bitterweed, croton & other annual broadleafs we use 1 qt of rangestar (2,4-d+dicamba) per acre with good results. Seems to work better than 2,4-d alone.

Would think you could reduce the rate proportionally for the ester formulation. Be carefull with drift toward suceptible plants.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Have you used this mixture on cactus (prickly pear) before? If so how did it work? I've been told of another mix that contains Tordon, diesel and an emulsifier (dish soap) and dye. I need to start spraying for cactus myself. I've been talking about doing it for some time now but I guess since we are right smack in the middle of a drought, now would be the perfect time huh?

I wonldn't spray that prickly pear yet. In a month or so you may have to burn the hairs off so the cows can graze it.

Bluestem":2glrq27z said:
I wonldn't spray that prickly pear yet. In a month or so you may have to burn the hairs off so the cows can graze it.

I've thought of that too, but after they eat it once without the hairs on it what keeps them from eating it when the hair is on it? I understand the pain aspect of it but is that enough?

J":30wcaxze said:
Have you used this mixture on cactus (prickly pear) before? If so how did it work? I've been told of another mix that contains Tordon, diesel and an emulsifier (dish soap) and dye. I need to start spraying for cactus myself. I've been talking about doing it for some time now but I guess since we are right smack in the middle of a drought, now would be the perfect time huh?

Singe/urn the spines off and let the cows eat them.

dun

J, there is certainly the possiblity that the cows, after learning to eat the singed pear, will later on continue to eat prickly pear pads with the spines, possibly with some resulting mouth problems. I've witnessed a fair bit of that with the cattle on my deer lease. If you decide to spray the cactus consider Tordon 22 + surfacant + water (as opposed to diesel), especially with the price of diesel these days! The following article might be of some interest to you:

http://www.thecattlemanmagazine.com/iss ... lypear.pdf

Arnold Ziffle":1dp39o3j said:
J, there is certainly the possiblity that the cows, after learning to eat the singed pear, will later on continue to eat prickly pear pads with the spines, possibly with some resulting mouth problems. I've witnessed a fair bit of that with the cattle on my deer lease. If you decide to spray the cactus consider Tordon 22 + surfacant + water (as opposed to diesel), especially with the price of diesel these days! The following article might be of some interest to you:

http://www.thecattlemanmagazine.com/iss ... lypear.pdf

I agree with Arnold use the surfactant and don't use dish detergent. The surfactant works much better.

Latest posts