1st calf heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
1st calf heifers get a bad rap sometimes they are bad sometimes not. I retain most all of mine and calf them out. Here is a couple of mine that were born week before last. They calved same day and were bred in the same week. One heifer I couldn't tell if she was allowing the calf nursing but she was. They did it all on there own. I don't AI nor do I have a registered bull its out of a sim angus bull I raised. Both bull calves :D

ResizedImage_1423359451273_zps1e20f39a.jpg

ResizedImage_1423359451757_zpsc8d12bb3.jpg

highgrit":2nifxb0y said:
She looks like you hit her on the top of her head.

I wanted too that morning I was carrying a 5 gallon bucket of corn for my calves she ran up and put her head in the bucket and made me spill it.

Yep, They look good.

I'm three down, 4 to go on a group of 7 twoyear olds.

Here is one just after he was born a couple days ago.

He and his mom this morning...

This one was born about 10 days ago.

Here they are this morning...

This is one born in late September.... :shock: I had intentions of breeding to calve AT 2 years of age but this one had her own ideas. She managed to get to a bull last January and stuck.

His mom.

Nice looking calves, and 82vette thats sone awesome looking winter pasture in first pic. I enjoy calving out heifers.

Sky keep an eye on that one heifer. Looks like she's growing long toes on front. Can't see the back feet that well. Might turn into a problem.

I appreciate the kind comments. Been a while since I've calved a "bunch" of heifers so it is a bit exciting and with the first calves from a new bull puts some nervousness into the equation also. The Char crosses do sell well here so that is to look forward to also. That really wasn't my first choice to put on heifers but I got a late start looking for a bull and black bulls were not to be found nearby.

Fenceman, it has been cold and cloudy this past week but we had almost two weeks of sunny warm weather that really brought the grass on.

TexasBred":1u7teqx0 said:
Sky keep an eye on that one heifer. Looks like she's growing long toes on front. Can't see the back feet that well. Might turn into a problem.

:tiphat: I never payed attention to that.

1982vett":30id8gzb said:
Yep, They look good.

I'm three down, 4 to go on a group of 7 twoyear olds.

Here is one just after he was born a couple days ago.

He and his mom this morning...

This one was born about 10 days ago.

Here they are this morning...

This is one born in late September.... :shock: I had intentions of breeding to calve AT 2 years of age but this one had her own ideas. She managed to get to a bull last January and stuck.

His mom.

Did you use a Charolais bull on this heifer?

Latest posts