1st calf heifer question?

Help Support CattleToday:

simpswp

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone may have some advice for me. I have a 1st calf Brahman heifer and her calf is a heifer. I'd like to keep the heifer calf as a replacement. What would I need to feed the cow in order for her to raise the calf to weaning age (5 or 6 months)? I have her pinned up with the calf and for now, she is able to graze on my tifton85 field. The calf is 3 months old now and mom has some rib showing.

Thanks,

simpswp":1v1bxx62 said:
I was wondering if someone may have some advice for me. I have a 1st calf Brahman heifer and her calf is a heifer. I'd like to keep the heifer calf as a replacement. What would I need to feed the cow in order for her to raise the calf to weaning age (5 or 6 months)? I have her pinned up with the calf and for now, she is able to graze on my tifton85 field. The calf is 3 months old now and mom has some rib showing.

Thanks,
id wean the calf early and feed it if i were going to do any thing.. do you know if the cow bred back yet? cause nursing calves, and poor body condition, is the first calvers pitfall. and brahman can be the worst getting started

I'm pretty sure she has not bread back yet. I have had calves leave mom early and then fed them a creep feed but they all seem to get pot bellied. My plan if I don't get any better advise is to feed mom a 20% cube daily and the calf will get some creep feed daily. Then maybe wean at 5 months. I just thought some one may come up with a better idea to keep mom in shape. The calf looks real good.

Thanks,

Pat

simpswp":3osb6syb said:
I'm pretty sure she has not bread back yet. I have had calves leave mom early and then fed them a creep feed but they all seem to get pot bellied. My plan if I don't get any better advise is to feed mom a 20% cube daily and the calf will get some creep feed daily. Then maybe wean at 5 months. I just thought some one may come up with a better idea to keep mom in shape. The calf looks real good.

Thanks,

Pat
ok sorry :lol:

I like your plan just fine and it sounds very similar to what I would do with mine. Brahman can be heavy milkers and will give all to the calf. Feeding her may or may not help her being ribby, but it will make you feel better about it! You didn't show your location or say how good the grass quality may be. That could make a difference in what you feed. Here in East TX, our grass is drought stricken from several months of no rain, and so, there is not much nutritional quality in the grass.

I am located in Waller Texas just northwest of Houston. We have been in a drought but recently received a break (4" fell last week). This is my first experience with the Brahman bread and was wondering why she was looking poor and the calf looking so good. Thanks and I do hope you all get rain soon.

LauraleesFarm":3je3lm5m said:
I like your plan just fine and it sounds very similar to what I would do with mine. Brahman can be heavy milkers and will give all to the calf. Feeding her may or may not help her being ribby, but it will make you feel better about it! You didn't show your location or say how good the grass quality may be. That could make a difference in what you feed. Here in East TX, our grass is drought stricken from several months of no rain, and so, there is not much nutritional quality in the grass.
tifton85 is a high quailty grass..ive done what their doing in the past......... never more

I have cows that everytime they have a calf they drop alot of weight and what I tend to do for them is keep them in a 4 acre pen and feed as much alfalfa as I can so both gain weight and look good.

ALACOWMAN":2wygpn81 said:
simpswp":2wygpn81 said:

Thanks,

Pat
ok sorry :lol:
Pat he knows more than most on this board his advise is probably great advise.

Latest posts