1st calf heifer, but mama has no milk

Help Support CattleToday:

luke03cr

Reaction score
Yesterday we had our first calf out of a young heifer. And when i say young she is only 16 months or so old. But she had her calf easy and seems do be caring for it well. The only thing that concerns me is the mama has no milk and a very small bag. I dont know if this is atributed to the young age of the cow or what? So for now we are giving it a bottle in the evening. Last nite when i got home i bottle feed the calf about 3 pints or so of milk replacer, as far as i know thats all she had had up till then. She was clearly full when we finished bc she stopped nudging at mamas udders. Is there anythimg i can do to help mama start lactating or will it happen on her own or not at all? If she doesnt start producing, how long should i continue to bottle feed the calf?

Very often a first calf heifer will not have a big bag. When the calf nurses, does it tail wag? That shows that it is getting milk.
Nursing frequently will help the cow make more milk. You can supplement her with a more groceries (good hay & some grain) to help her to make more milk.

Don't feed the calf so much. Only one bottle at a time. If the calf stops nursing, the cow will dry up.

i would separate the cow & her calf in a pen and keep a good quality hay in front of her 24/7 and observe the calf. See what is actually happening.

Good luck.

I dont believe her tail was wagging when she was nursing on mama. she was just continually nudging her udders but not getting anything. When i gave her the bottle and she finally started sucking on it, after about 5 min of fighting with her lol, her tail was wagging and she took the milk well. Do you think 3 pints once in the eve is good for her for the day so she can keep trying on mama threwout the day?

If the calf is sucking, then she is probably getting some milk even if it is just a little. I would put the feed to the momma cow, to help her produce more milk, and leave the calf off of her at night. Let the calf suck in the morning, and daytime, then supplement the calf in the evening with the replacer.
Might have to keep that up for several weeks.. depending on how the momma cow is doing, and just seeing if the calf is getting enough milk.

Had the same thing a year ago. My concern was the calf getting enough fluid so as not to dehyrate. Had to bottle for about a 10 days then calf didnot want the bottle . Mom started making more milk . Keep the calf a little on the hungry side. Good luck ! I'll bet you'll be alright. rj

She took the bottle alot better lastnite, didnt really have to fight with her. drank all 4 pints. Mama might be producing a little milk now. Going to continue to feed 1 bottle in the eve so she will keep nudging on mama threwout the day, so hopefully she'll produce more milk

Mama might or might not produce enough for the one bottle in the evening to be sufficient. If baby is hungry in the morning--nursing all the time and moving from teat to teat--and throughout the day, you might have to give a
bottle in the AM too. She will keep after mama and not take the bottle well if mama produces enough. What I mean is that the bottles are not going to fill her up so much that she won't keep after mama--mama is more fun and tastes better if you are using milk replacer. I've had this exact thing happen once, had to bottle twice a day til calf could eat grass, then once a day....then pair to sale barn when calf was about four months (this was not a young heifer).

Well it seems that giving her 1 bottle in the eve has caused her to stay hungry threwout the day. Therefore she has kept nudging on mama which has caused her to start producing more milk. Now weve got another young heifer who isnt far from calving and hoping that she will produce good, or atleast not give us more trouble then this other young heifer.

Latest posts