1969 JD 4020 diesel

Help Support CattleToday:

Just finished a 4630 for the neighbor. Parts and machine shop work for a major overhaul (engine and head went to engine rebuild machine shop) totaled $4300. New ring gear, new water pump, rebuilt starter, new belts, included. Clevite engine parts. The engine kit was internet sourced and that saved a lot. J Deere dealer quoted "around $12000.

agmantoo":16uvw2ib said:
Just finished a 4630 for the neighbor. Parts and machine shop work for a major overhaul (engine and head went to engine rebuild machine shop) totaled $4300. New ring gear, new water pump, rebuilt starter, new belts, included. Clevite engine parts. The engine kit was internet sourced and that saved a lot. J Deere dealer quoted "around $12000.
Thanks for your reply. I'm looking at a pretty nice one but I think it might have a hard time starting in cold weather......not that it gets that cold here but you know what I mean? I think its got some piston to cylinder wear. What did your head work cost? How much are pistons and cylinders? Where do you buy pistons and cylinders? Thanks in advance.

http://www.apmengineparts.com/john-deer ... e-kit.html is where the kit was purchased. The supervisor of the machine shop we used is an old man that has been in the rebuild business his working lifetime, ~ 60 years. He was impressed with the quality of the kit.

Just a suggestion.
On the 4020 cranking. I have only worked on a few of these tractors. From what I have seen J Deere engineers could not make up their minds as to what they wanted to do for the cranking of the 4020 series.If I had a 4020 I would get rid of the slender but long batteries and get two road tractor batteries and mount those batteries elsewhere. I would arrange these 2 batteries in series to create 24 volts for starting and where a 24 voltage late model construction equipment alternator/ regulator would sense both batteries state of charge. ( A 12 volt, two battery setup voltage regulator senses the condition of the best battery) For no more power requirements that a 4020 requires for other needs such as lights just tap the 12 volts off one of the batteries, the one with the chassis ground.

Latest posts