17-17-17 $835 a ton in bulk!!!!!!

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
I can't make that price work in a hay field. That was on March 25th. And now that the fertelizer plant in winter Haven Fla. burnt on March 26th ain't no tellen what it will go to.

WHY???

What I was told this morning by the local fertilizer monger was "P&K have gone insane!"

I would start building a chicken house but corn is almost $7. I guess I should fence my hay field and raise chickens on grass hoppers and grass seed one year and cut hay the next.

years ago we could fert 120 hay fields with 200lb of 17-17-17 pre ac for about $2000.an now you say its $835 a ton ouch.you be better off baling your medows without fert.an using the fert money to buy hay if you dont make enough.here this fall $900 should get you 45 bales of hay or more.im betting we see a good bit of $15 hay from people wanting to get rid of hay.

alabama":c3rgp2kr said:
I would start building a chicken house but corn is almost $7. I guess I should fence my hay field and raise chickens on grass hoppers and grass seed one year and cut hay the next.

Some people may laugh about this, but it's workable. I have a small field (2.5 acres) where I finish off calves for butchering. I keep around 50 chickens in this field at all times. They love a "hot meal" from the calves and will peck every piece of grain out of it and spread it around. Between the calf manure, the chicken manure, the lack of grasshoppers, etc., this is the best looking field on my entire farm.

The chickens cost nothing to maintain most of the year and have so many benefits. Manure of all kinds is going to be our "black gold" of the future.

Di-Ammonium Phospahte (18-46-0) is source of phosphorus in blends like 17-17-17. World demand for this product (China and India) is driving up the costs. Last week DAP was right at $1000 per ton.
Potash is also in short supply due to over seas demand.

grannysoo":3n95afoe said:
alabama":3n95afoe said:

Some people may laugh about this, but it's workable. I have a small field (2.5 acres) where I finish off calves for butchering. I keep around 50 chickens in this field at all times. They love a "hot meal" from the calves and will peck every piece of grain out of it and spread it around. Between the calf manure, the chicken manure, the lack of grasshoppers, etc., this is the best looking field on my entire farm.

The chickens cost nothing to maintain most of the year and have so many benefits. Manure of all kinds is going to be our "black gold" of the future.
What kind of fence does it take to keep chickens in and how do yuu keep them from flying out? Also,how many chickens to the acre? Where do you get your chickens and how do you sell them?

Although it would be cheaper than the Trip 17 - Grown chickens run about $5-$8 each :shock: . So you'd have about $250 - $400 in chickens for the yotes & chicken hawks to feast on!!!

Looks to cheaper this year to bale everything under the sun for filler and supplement protien.
I have hay left over sure won't be bailing extra, I was able to get sweeps cheap and that will hit the pastures and that is what I will bale.

alabama":ikmhdl5e said:
grannysoo":ikmhdl5e said:
alabama":ikmhdl5e said:

What kind of fence does it take to keep chickens in and how do yuu keep them from flying out? Also,how many chickens to the acre? Where do you get your chickens and how do you sell them?

What kind of fence? Regular cattle fencing

How many to the acre? I have around 50 on 2.5 acres and it's working great.

Flying? The only time they are smart enough to fly is at night when it's time to find a perch. Train them to roost where you want them to and they will never fly out. A chicken does not fly.

Selling? The word gets around when you have chickens. Tell the people at the feed stores, hardware stores, etc, and people will find you. We eat more of them than we sell. :D

Where do I get them? We grow our own. Any time it looks like the supply is getting low, we just throw a few dozen in the incubator and have more to restock with in a few weeks. Any of the hatcheries can supply you, or most of the local feed stores can too.

As to the chicken hawks, they're good for target practice. And... if you have something the chickens can get under, that helps with the hawk problem.

The place where I work runs two wood-fired steam boilers year round. The ash is like an industrial waste for them. I'm gonna figure out a way to get that stuff cooled down and hauled home efficiently. I may never buy phosphorus or potash again!

Come on up, our triple seventeen as of Friday was $660/ton. Maybe I should buy a bunch and save it? Ha.

Billy

I paid (2 weeks ago) 13$ a 50 lbs sack of 15-15-15
That is about 520$ per 2000 lbs. of corse plus tax at the local Co-op and it is on the way up they say.

50 chickens would last maybe 1 night in my kneck of the woods. But we would have some fat coyotes. $460 a ton for 34-0-0 20-10-10 $560

TNMasterBeefProducer":1owy6z96 said:
Back in the winter time i think I paid about 400 a ton for triple 19. I always buy in the off season so it isnt so high

Why would you put nitrogen out in the off season? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Around here, fertilizer of any kind is in the $700 to $900 range. There won't be any fertilizer again for the 2nd year in a row. As a result, we will trim the herd in the fall to whatever level is necessary, based on feed levels for the winter. I will however, be doing a lot of soil tests and spreading of manure.

I am sure am glad I have lots of local chicken houses, I had 30 ton of chicken liter spread for $160 per 10 ton load.

And to top off everything, cattle prices are still dropping here. I am trying to sell all I can for freezer beef.

and Thank God for this nice rain, my pasture growing finally.

I found me a manure spreader this week. I got 6 loads out and about 25 more to go but I did get a few acres covered.
Today we are getting the best rain we have had in two years. It has been raining for 12 hours and got about 2 inches. We will see if the spreading of manure is taking the place of fertelizer on pasture in about two weeks.
If it works as planed the manure should pay for the spreader after 16 loads.

Latest posts