16 year old wanting to start own farm...any secrets?

Help Support CattleToday:

Holley Farms

Reaction score
we own 10 acers and i lease 41....all fenced in and im wanting to get in the buisness early...lets see here what should i start with...my friend is same age and he runs angus cows and boer goats..should i buy a heipher and then pay to get her pregnate? i want to do this job and i got every thing just need the pros to help me...please dont cuss at me or be mean at me for putting this on here...

I don't think anyone is going to cuss at you honey. Have you got enough money to buy a few cows?

If your totally new to ranching does your school offer a FFA program? If so, join it. They can really give you a lot of hands on type experience and advise, no problem getting information on the internet but sounds like you may need a mentor that can be there for you when you need them.

Make a trip down to the local FSA office as well and speak with them about programs they may offer to new ranchers.

J

Welcome Holly!!!

If anyone cusses at you they are the stupid one.

Do you have someone who could "mentor" you or show you or tell you how it's done?
Taking care of even a few animals can be an intimidating task if your unsure of what to do.

51 acres would support close to 10 cows over there I guess easy enough. I would buy 2 bred cows or, if you could ,2 cows with a baby calf already on them . Sell the calves then buy another one.

One other option would be bottle calves but it takes considerable work and some amount of know how to raise them without letting them die.

I bet some old rancher in your area would let you borrow a bull calf to breed them or let you leave them at his place till they are bred.

we dont got those programs down here....but mentor???my friends dad could prolly be one...he runs the best angus farm in the county. more help i need!

Welcome to the boards! Do you have anyone to advise you on the vaccinations needed for your area, advise on nutrition (feeding) and someone who you can ask to check on your cattle's condition (not thin or sick etc)? I started a few cattle,,pigs and Boergoats in my teens, but had experieced neighbours who advised me. Certainly hire or borrow a suitable bull but you will need to know that both your cows and the bull are not suffering from any s.t.d's. The other board members will give you all the good advise you will need.
All the best with your starting farming.

Only thing I'd add would be to always take a pen and paper, write out expected costs and expenses, and plan how you're going to keep everything afloat and make money. Always figure on the high side for expenses and low side for income. Always think about the "what ifs" - there's a lot of them. Always think things through and do things logically - not on impulse - I haven't always done that, but it works out better when I do. :)

Make sure you have enough cash not just to buy the cows, but to feed and care for them too. ;-) Not trying to be rude there, but it sometimes gets overlooked when someone asks about how many cows you can afford. Keep back a significant portion of your money - you don't ever want to be forced to sell due to a lack of cash and not being able to afford their upkeep.

Holleyfarms, your FSA office is located 11 miles east of you in Rockingham and the phone number is 1-910-895-3950, give them a call. It will be a good place for you to start with your question asking and information collecting. Very helpful folks in most all the offices I've been in anyway. They should also be able to give you some advise regarding programs you may qualify for.

If you become a member of your local Cattlemens association that may help you as well when it comes to help getting started. Most ranchers like helping out new ones. I know our local one even has scales and a portable squeeze chute they will let folks borrow if they don't have their own.

J

Holley Farms":1k704jq6 said:
what do i say to them.??? like can i get some info on first time ranchers or what?

I should think that would be a good place to start. Sorry if I offend but you sound totally clueless and you really need some serious one on one time with someone that knows what they are doing to help get you started. Have you spent much time on a farm or ranch?

Again, sorry if I am wrong but it's just the impression I'm getting. I'm new to the farming/ranching thing compared to so many on this board even though I'm in my 40's and come from three plus generations of farmers and ranchers on both sides of my family. I still learn something new every day and hope to continue.

J

Holley Farms":14o39n3a said:
what do i say to them.??? like can i get some info on first time ranchers or what?

I would call them and make an appointment to speak to the county extension agent. Tell him/her exactly what you know, and what you want to do. They will more than likely be happy to spend some time with you, and if they cannot give you all the info you need, they can point you in the right direction.

If they do not have FFA in your school, you might look into joining 4-H surely they have a chapter in your county. And depending on your local organization they might offer some beef classes. Or at least you can meet up with some people that are members that raise cattle. Almost for sure there will be those that are glad to help!

I would start as others mentioned, maybe a bred cow or a Cow calf pair that is Bred back. With being new to all this you might have some problems with some heifers such as calving that will be hard for you at first. But if you find an older cow or two things might be easier. And if it is a pair that is already bred back you have a almost a year to get into the swing of things before worrying about getting her bred.

Good Luck!

IMO like ollie said you would be better off buying two bred cows with calves by their side.
1- the cows are proven that they can have a calf. Looking at the calves will give you some insight into their mothering ability.
2- those calves will provide a little income for the next purchase.
3- cows do better if they have a buddy. One cow by itself needs company.
4- with only 2-3 cows some local farmer would probally let you run your cattle with his bull just to help out someone getting started.
5- track every expense, pay attention to what you did right as well to what you did wrong. Use these as tools for the future.

Good Luck, and Welcome to the boards.

TurnThatCowLooseMaw":3lg7stq1 said:
IM not making fun of you in the least bit but when you said pay to get them pregnant I was like street walkers but anyways I see where you are coming from.
What are you talking about???????????? You are the only one that understands your posts...

Holly i want to 1st welcome you to the cattle busness. theres alot of good advice in this thread. like always farms are the 1st to giving a helping hand so keep this in mind and dont be scared of asking dumb questions. my saying is its better to ask a dumb question than fixing a dumb mistake.
You know Holly you ought to think about what bred you would like to raise. Almost every bred has it good traits and some traits you could live with out. I'm not going to suggest a bred because i feel thats personal choice. i would like to suggest that you spend some time at the sale barn. you can go to the pins and look at the animals. you can see 1st hand alot of things to look for just by looking at the sell. you see cattle at all different ages and sizes and health. plus this is where you'll have the most farmers at 1 place at 1 time. if listen to them you'll learn a pretty good bit with out ever asking a question. but if you hear something that interest you ask them about it. remember farms are quick to lend a helping hand. Holly i would also like to suggest to have fun doing what ever way you decide to go, raising cattle is a chore in it self no need in turning it into more of a hassle just have fun with. let us help if we can.

round here the raise angus...so id prefer to go angus or brangus...maybey some white cows...my dad owned a farm..but he died and my step dad nothing bout farming....i own a boer goat now and thats all. i might sound dumb but i dont care, this is what i want to do and i have to sound dumb to be it than i shall be dumb

The only dumb question is the question that never gets asked. Welcome aboard and wish you the best with your goals and dreams. As was said earlier 4-H would be a lot of knowledge and help.