16-18' BP trailers

Help Support CattleToday:

Arki

Reaction score
Hey guys been reading the boards for a little while and finally decided to join. We're in the market for a 16-18' BP stock trailer and have been considering either a calico or delta. Pros, cons? Iv seen that the calicos are said to have a paint issue but they claim to have fixed it. Iv always thought of a delta as a well build trailer but can seem to find many reviews on them online. Thanks.

I have a 16' Delta. It has held up very well. I bought it used from CO-OP who used it as a rental unit. It has needed no work since I have had it and it has exceeded my expectations. I haul cattle and horses.

I have an S&S 18 foot stock trailer with a center gate and I love it. Works for cattle, horses, ATVs, furniture, small tractors..... Can't beat it for versatility and it's held up well. It's 11 years old and not rusty. Never kept inside either but I do clean it out after every use with livestock.

Around here it seems that most of the trailers are Kodiaks. When people borrow ours they all comment on how easy it pulls. Unfortunatly when I'm hauling down the interstate a couple of times I forgot it was behind me and almost changed lanes to soon. It's also startled me when I look in the rear view mirror and see that big red thing tailgating me.

Thanks for the help guys. Were just getting into the cattle and mainly as a side hobby more so than to get rich :lol2:. We'll be hauling 4-10 calves-600 weights. I know a goosneck would be the best bet and it is a plan on down the road but for now were just looking to get out of borrowing a tailer. Keep the replies coming.

Arki":e5yk9ru6 said:
Thanks for the help guys. Were just getting into the cattle and mainly as a side hobby more so than to get rich :lol2:. We'll be hauling 4-10 calves-600 weights. I know a goosneck would be the best bet and it is a plan on down the road but for now were just looking to get out of borrowing a tailer. Keep the replies coming.

Hire your hauling done and save your money. Unless you are hauling weekly you can never save the difference.
And yes I have a Wilson aluminum and a Dodge 3500 to pull it with. I do haul several loads a week though.

We went without a trailer for 3 years starting out and got by. But haveing to wait for someone if you are trying to get some to a sale need to get one to the vet can get old.I am allways for putting more money in to cattle and less in other stuff but i think about everyone that is going to have more than a few cattle should have a trailer.I buy several days a week and pull a 24 foot ww and would not be without a 24 foot trailer ever i might buy a 32 but will allways have a 24. for me it is the best size for getting around and still being able to haul a decent load.For your size operation right now and if you want to grow i would say that a 16 or 20 foot gooseneck would be my choice any full size truck even a half ton will handle it and be safer than a bumper pull. but if a bp is what you want i would go with it rather than going without and i believe a delta is a very good trailer.If you are looking at a new delta bp you might find a good used 16 or 20 gn for less money and have a more disirable trailer after all.I know i have told alot about my own trailer situation but i thought hearing someone elses expierence might be helpful.

kenny thomas":dfxuqqqk said:
Arki":dfxuqqqk said:

Hire your hauling done and save your money. Unless you are hauling weekly you can never save the difference.
And yes I have a Wilson aluminum and a Dodge 3500 to pull it with. I do haul several loads a week though.

Yep as I haul almost every week myself for someone else.

I add my vote to the paid hauling....
I started out the other way and had to have my own trailer...so I bought what I could afford.
worked out nicely for bull delivery once or twice a year.
but most buyers had their own trailers and wanted to pick up here.
as the herd grew we had too many calves to market to haul them in one load.
started hiring the hauling and they were not any more expensive than my gas and time and wear and tear cost.
you do have to plan ahead and you can't roll out of bed and say I think I will sell some calves today.

still have the little trailer but just use it to haul the horse around now.

I have a 18' BP with a divider and I'm glad I bought it even though I only use it maybe a dozen times a year, then it sits. I use it for mainly cattle and hay, but have had fire wood in it as well as trips to the lumber yard. In the early days I had to borrow one, which I hated. For me there was no option, had to have my own trailer.

I don't know if this will be an option for you, but our local rental store has an 18' BP stock trailer that I rent. After I get my deposit back, it costs me $65 to have it for 24 hours, or I can get it for 4 hours for less. It would take a lot of trips for me to justify buying one, though I do plan to buy one just for the convenience. I've found that renting has been more convenient than hiring someone, but not as convenient as having my own. Might be worth looking into.

Thanks for the help guys. We're on limited amount of land and have a couple beefmasrers and plan to pick up a few more in the future. So there is the possibility of hauling long distances to special sales. But mainly we are looking at is hitting some of the smaller sells and finding low priced stocker calves and then later hauling to a larger sale. So renting or even hiring out isn't fesable as we won't know if we will even be bringing anything back until after the sale. We ended up picking up a 16' calico. Everything I found about calico said they were a good starter trailer, witch is what we needed.

Latest posts