Lightning strikes 18 cattle dead

Help Support CattleToday:

lmp570

Reaction score
Absolutely devastating. Will post some pics soon. All huddled around a tree during a storm. Never seen or heard of anything like it in these parts (western Kentucky)

that happens.you just hope its not that meny that gets struck.itll be hard to get over loosing that meny.

lmp570":21ckttkz said:
have pic to post but when I click to REGISTER it says "No route found for "GET /profile.php"

any thoughts?

Where are you trying to register? Just post the picture on any of the free picture upload sites on the Internet and link to it?

Have seen 8-10 piled up a time or two.
First time I was called out to look at some... about 9 Brangus cows & calves in a pile, out in the open, on top of a hill... I could smell the singed hair by the time I got within 50 ft of them.
Sometimes you can see linear singe marks in the hair where the current danced over them - but not always.
Sometimes they're just piled up around a tree, with a big split in the bark and dirt blown up all around the roots.

I hope I never experience that. I do notice that when lightning starts poppin here the cows come from the back woods to the cow lot at the house. I have some trees in this area but they are not the tallest. They seem to know they might be safer.

When I was pretty young 6_7 maybe We lost several head to lighting. The were huddled under a tree in a open pasture. I'll pray for rain, then sit there and worry about lighting.
Started carrying insurance a few years back. Helps me sleep on stormy nights.

Wow, I'm so sorry to hear that. Yeah, that would be devestating.

My former farrier lost 6 to lightning. A friend of ours lost one, a few years ago. I worry about it every time we get a thunderstorm (happen often this time of year).

I've seen where it blew a fencepost to smithereens and the dirt all around it was scattered. Found a few solid pieces of dirt that got melted and turned solid.

Maybe you could e-mail the pics to someone on the board to post for you. That's how I do it occasionally.

workinonit farm,

I can email the pic and you could post if you want... or anyone else if u want.

Im seeking out the dept of AG for any assistance. hopefully that will bear fruit

lmp570":1552snk1 said:
workinonit farm,

Im seeking out the dept of AG for any assistance. hopefully that will bear fruit
I suppose if "we" already set some " my cows got killed by lightning" money$$ aside you should get some relief. Part of me wonders why that sort of misfortune should warrant some state or federal relief....

lmp570":3e5lhwbo said:
workinonit farm,

I would if I could. Any pics I have had posted here, have been posted by a board member for me. Perhaps someone will chime in do it.

Kingfisher":3qvh3rdj said:
lmp570":3qvh3rdj said:
workinonit farm,

I suppose if "we" already set some " my cows got killed by lightning" money$$ aside you should get some relief. Part of me wonders why that sort of misfortune should warrant some state or federal relief....

I assume every farmer at some point in time has sought out grants during hard times. during drought, hay supplementation grants are not uncommon in these parts, and are strictly due to weather, therefore maybe theres something out there for the farmer that loses 25% of his herd due to lightning strike.

I have insurance on my cows through the Farm Bureau. Something makes me think it cost 5% of the value of the stock per year. But I've read somewhere, and I think it was on CT, that the FSA or some other government agency has money available for this kind of thing. I don't understand using taxpayers $dollars$ to bail a private business out. But then again I don't believe in welfare, foodstamps and other things freeloaders get from the taxpayers.

Latest posts