Trailers (top-hat)

Help Support CattleToday:

1982vett said:
Brute 23 said:
I have to have some one on the slide. I've had them run full speed, snack the back of the trailer and be coming right back like a rubber ball. :lol:

My big complaint is you cant stack them in with butterfly gates. Always have to have enough room to close the gate.

When you load out big alleys or gates that big swing is nice. It can cover a lot ground.

Keeps me from over crowding. Been wanting to add on to the chutes and raise the header enough to be able to swing the gate out. Hasn't gotten done the last 20 years so I doubt it will ever make It to the top of the list. :lol:

Just make one side longer than the other. :)

Lucky said:
I believe they are made in Mt. Pleasant, Tx. I know several guys that have them and never heard anything bad about them. If you get a new trailer look into the rubber floor like Brute says or at least nail some cattle panels down. New trailer floors are really slick. I had a cow slip and separate her pelvis the first time I used mine. 10k is a good price for a 24'. Not sure how handy the sliders would be on cut gates, butterfly or slider on the back is a hard decision. Have you looked at 271 trailers website? Sometimes they have some really good deals.

Yeah I got my used 24 ft from 271 it's a 99 but man for what I'm doing and hauling I need a new floor and total rewiring and need some welding . I rather use that for a down payment versus putting it into this trailer I've already put about 1k-1500 . Not a bad trailer but would like to upgrade to a 24-28 6'8 or 7 . Had this trailer since December and I've used it and dang sure got my money worth.

Bfields30 said:
Lucky said:
I believe they are made in Mt. Pleasant, Tx. I know several guys that have them and never heard anything bad about them. If you get a new trailer look into the rubber floor like Brute says or at least nail some cattle panels down. New trailer floors are really slick. I had a cow slip and separate her pelvis the first time I used mine. 10k is a good price for a 24'. Not sure how handy the sliders would be on cut gates, butterfly or slider on the back is a hard decision. Have you looked at 271 trailers website? Sometimes they have some really good deals.

Yeah I got my used 24 ft from 271 it's a 99 but man for what I'm doing and hauling I need a new floor and total rewiring and need some welding . I rather use that for a down payment versus putting it into this trailer I've already put about 1k-1500 . Not a bad trailer but would like to upgrade to a 24-28 6'8 or 7 . Had this trailer since December and I've used it and dang sure got my money worth.

Allot of times you are better of buying new when it comes to trailers, old ones will nickel and dime you to death. I went from a 24' to a 28' to get the triple axle, 24' had too many blowouts. I'd get the front cut gate moveable from 8' to 4' if you can.

My only thought on the metal roof is the old buck knife will not do you any good if you get trapped : friend raises bucking bulls and convinced me tarps are cheap : I have 24' delta with no whistles or bells and is a good trailer , my 32' is a gooseneck with fancy floors and adjustable front gate for hauling feed to special sales or putting calves in when moving from one place to another is nice ( very easy to wash out) but for everyday use the delta is a great trailer for the price...I like the sliding gates in my ally ways but in my trailers butterfly only .. just me personally

I never go in a trailer. Like I said, I've seen too many cattle hit the front and come right back like a rubber ball. A lot of them dont stop for gates or people or any thing else.

A couple weeks ago I loaded some cows for a guy that had the auction barn come pick them up. In true fashion I get a the most gung ho guy in 4 counties. He went in the trailer behind the first group to close the divider and I told him dont ever do that again. He was trying real hard to prove how cowboy he was and replied... I do this all the time... dont worry about me. I replied with... I'm not worried about you... I dont want to have to deal with cops questions, ambulances, news papers, etc when they have to scrape you out of that trailer. He just grinned a little... but didnt do it again. :)

Lucky said:
Bfields30 said:
Lucky said:

Allot of times you are better of buying new when it comes to trailers, old ones will nickel and dime you to death. I went from a 24' to a 28' to get the triple axle, 24' had too many blowouts. I'd get the front cut gate moveable from 8' to 4' if you can.
Yeah I'm leaning towards the 28 6.8 or 28 x7ft
Feel more comfortable more cows on it. And no worries about overloading my trailer older wood just worries me you know and if it's a heavy load the tires sit low. And the trailer is jammed pack either lol .

Brute 23 said:
I never go in a trailer. Like I said, I've seen too many cattle hit the front and come right back like a rubber ball. A lot of them dont stop for gates or people or any thing else.

A couple weeks ago I loaded some cows for a guy that had the auction barn come pick them up. In true fashion I get a the most gung ho guy in 4 counties. He went in the trailer behind the first group to close the divider and I told him dont ever do that again. He was trying real hard to prove how cowboy he was and replied... I do this all the time... dont worry about me. I replied with... I'm not worried about you... I dont want to have to deal with cops questions, ambulances, news papers, etc when they have to scrape you out of that trailer. He just grinned a little... but didnt do it again. :)
Yeah that's another thing with mine I don't have slam latches either so usually takes longer than it should loading but I'll remember not to do that

They make life easier especially if you are by yourself.

I use ropes tied to the top on the gates and ran to the outside so I can just grab the rope front the drivers side and pull the gate to me. It's a PIA by yourself running around trying to close gated and dividers and stuff.

Brute 23 said:
I follow them most of the time in the trailer (20') and close the middle gate, but don't feel real good about it sometime.

On our trailer you grab the middle gate and slam it, and it shuts most of the time (sometimes a little squeeze is necessary).

Loaded some bulls that I didn't even think about getting in the trailer with them to close the middle gate, just used a rope on the gate like you said. I may quit getting in the trailer at all in the future. Don't feel as indestructible as I used to.

I've gotten in the trailer to close the gate a several times. It's not a good decision and last time I did it I got penned between the rear cut gate and the side of the trailer with a heifer trying her best to escape. I work s as lone 90% of the time and keep saying I'm going to rig ropes up on the gates.

I still follow them in and close the partition gate, but probably shouldn't. It helps that my cattle are gentle and don't bounce off the front of the trailer and come back.

Decades ago I had one hem me up in a corner for a while, grinding her head against my legs. If she'd had horns, of if she'd got me down, it could have been bad.

I get the back gate shut and then worry about the partition gate. Another thing I have done after a couple close calls is to add another stout gate in the load out area about 6' behind the trailer. If one decides to come back out that gate will stop them and protect me. I can pivot it towards the trailer if needed to shut the back gates. Being 6' away allows them to turn around and they usually will reenter the trailer to get out of that confined space. If not a hot shot will help them decide.

I can't emphasize enough how much a sloping dirt ramp speeds things up especially with young calves. Not having to jump into the trailer makes it much easier on everyone.

Here's the exact trailer I have, from the same dealer we bought ours from... Love the wilson trailers, very well built.. 30 years old and the wiring has never been touched, tor-flex axles.. Only difference is ours has a rear slider instead of the roll up.. the slider never collects dirt in it, whole back door opens as well if needed.. $10K ain't too bad
https://carlstrailersales.com/used/1995-wilson-gn-stock-7x20%e2%80%b2/