12x8 Storage Building

Help Support CattleToday:

Drzr

Reaction score
I'm thinking of building a small storage building and was wondering if more space would be realized by putting door in the 8' or 12' side.

Seems to me you lose some space by putting the door in the long end. I think it's more important having 2 doors and knowing where the sun and wind come into play.

The only advice I offer up, is not what you asked for. Sorry. If your building it on site, and not moving it, I'd go 12' x 16'. The additional cost would be minimal, and the additional square footage is substantial. I have built several. I put the door under the overhang, and face the door east. My rains come from the west, or south west. Put enough pitch on the roof for a loft on each end. I put a 3' house door in the ones I build. I figure the crap I'm storing is house hold items anyway. If it won't fit in the door, it won't fit in my house. All lumber yards have a few scratched versions of the economy model for $50 or less.

There's 96 square feet in one, and 192 in the other. I could literally carry all of the additional material in 2 arm loads. It just makes sense on a building project to go bigger. People like us are used to building a fence. You build a fence twice as far, it cost twice as much. You more than double the size of a building for a minimal additional cost.

It's inevitable that we all need to store something, but I just hate the concept. To me, your saying I bought this thing. I ended up not needing it as bad as I thought. I hate to get rid of it, so I'll store it. My earthly possessions wouldn't fill a wheel barrow. I think my wife buys things just to store. I trip to our storage building is all I need to get my juices flowing. Tubs of clothes, unwanted decorations, slightly worn shoes, scrap booking materials. The list goes on and on. If I ain't using it, the thing hits the road. I actually make a conscious effort to only by things that I absolutely need. I make a conscious effort to use a consumable item, until the whole thing has been consumed. She asked not long ago, if I could build some shelves in my shop for her Christmas decorations. I'm normally pretty agreeable. I had to let my true feelings out on that one.

Really depends on what you're planning to store.
x2 on BFs suggestions. Except maybe the 3 ft door. I like a double door, myself.Two 30 - 36 in slab steel doors work very well, in my opinion.
Especially agree on size. You can usually double sq footage for about 30-50% more cost. Also, design your space to both accommodate what you're storing and the materials your using.
ie - framing lumber in 8 ft lengths gives you the most bang for your buck. no point in designing things that dont utilize the full 8 feet. if you're
sheathing and siding/roofing, design it in 4 ft increments. If you're covering with metal, design it to work with that 36 in width and stock lengths to avoid cutting and waste where possible.
Give the roof enough pitch to use the gable space for storage (loft areas) I like to shoot for 6/12 pitch, but am flexible to make the most use of lumber and finish materials
As to which side to put the door....again depends on use. If there's gonna be bigger items, I would put the door on a long side. If its gonna be Shelves with boxes and plastic tubs, I would put it on the short side. I would also put and island row of shelves down the down the center, if you're doing a 12x18.

Bigfoot":3n0p8xwt said:
It's inevitable that we all need to store something, but I just hate the concept. To me, your saying I bought this thing. I ended up not needing it as bad as I thought. I hate to get rid of it, so I'll store it. My earthly possessions wouldn't fill a wheel barrow. I think my wife buys things just to store. I trip to our storage building is all I need to get my juices flowing. Tubs of clothes, unwanted decorations, slightly worn shoes, scrap booking materials. The list goes on and on. If I ain't using it, the thing hits the road. I actually make a conscious effort to only by things that I absolutely need. I make a conscious effort to use a consumable item, until the whole thing has been consumed. She asked not long ago, if I could build some shelves in my shop for her Christmas decorations. I'm normally pretty agreeable. I had to let my true feelings out on that one.
Couldn't agree more. And my wife is a packrat. Thinks everything is a treasure. My shop looks like a used furniture store and one end is nothing but shelves and plastic tubs full of who knows what. She did make everyone in the family a light weight blanket to just throw across your legs and lap last Christmas out of old feed sacks that were probably 50 years old. Pretty neat.

Latest posts