Medicine storage?

Help Support CattleToday:

fnfarms1

Reaction score
so I've always kept my cattle meds and supplies in a storage cabinet in our "mud room" or basically utility/laundry room. I'm wanting to move it to my shop but the shops not insulated or heated. I've had the idea to find a non running fridge and use it since it is insulated and keep meds from freezing. Shop gets pretty warm, will that get hot enough to hurt the meds.looking for ideas.
Live in Miami, OK far NE OK

I live in south central KS and it was 90 inside the workshop yesterday. The non-running fridge may be okay but I wouldn't want to risk it. I keep most meds in the pantry in the house and antibiotics/Pen G, etc. in a mini fridge.

The info that accompanies veterinary products provides optimal storage conditions. Vaccines in particular should always be stored in a reliable refrigerator and monitored with an appropriate thermometer. With temperature sensitive product such as vaccines make sure to use a well insulated cooler, sufficient cold packs, a thermometer, use according to the timeline and above all protect them from the sun when working chute side.

TCRanch said:
I live in south central KS and it was 90 inside the workshop yesterday. The non-running fridge may be okay but I wouldn't want to risk it. I keep most meds in the pantry in the house and antibiotics/Pen G, etc. in a mini fridge.
Might be a good option. For what I'm doing. I've got a mini fridge one of the kids had at college in my shop now. Had planned for a beer fridge but.....

fnfarms1 said:
TCRanch said:
Might be a good option. For what I'm doing. I've got a mini fridge one of the kids had at college in my shop now. Had planned for a beer fridge but.....
There ought to be a bit of room for beer left in it!

I have a full size frig in the shop. It was donated by a SIL because it makes some noise. Works just fine. The drugs are all in the vegetable crisper draws. Plenty of room for water, soda, beer, and other liquid refreshment. Even use the freezer portion on occasions. Cold packs stored there for when I do take vaccines to the chute.

I have a very good aus made portable fridge freezer, that is also an excellent stand alone ice box, it would stop extremes of temps either way, but I would not keep vaccine there.

Have a bar fridge outside, it has drinks etc, but one shelf is used for vacs and vac guns etc, and if doing vacs in summer, I use a small esky with some freeze packs that the vac and gun will fit into, you want to not get it too warm unless you will finish it all.....room temp no good.