Building a New Corral

Help Support CattleToday:

hillbilly beef man

Reaction score
ClinchValley":137f6kya said:
Also, one more ?

We've always loaded through the alley and head gate. IMO I hate this. Seems the cattle are terrified to go through the gate and into the trailer. This results in driving them into the trailer. I absolutely hate this. But its how it has been done here for a while. Does it make any difference in a cow's perception to have a diverter in front of the chute to a load out? I'd rather them not be terrified of the chute. And would like them to think the trailer is "A OK"

I have a cut gate before my head gate in my alleyway that I load out of and it works ok. With my set up they go through a sweep tub, then out the cut gate into the trailer. For comparison dad has an 8 ft wide alley that we load straight into the trailer out of. His set up works better with calm cattle that can be pushed into the trailer from behind, mine is safer with crazies, as you have a piece of steel between you and them while loading.

A perfect set up would be to add a wide alleyway to mine to use for calm cattle, while retaining the load out of working alley option for the difficult ones.

Rafter S

Reaction score
I have calm cattle, and load them all through a 28" wide chute. Sometimes they're too calm because I'll get 4 or 5 of them in the chute and they just stand there. But even though I have calm cattle, I wouldn't want to try loading them directly from a wide alley. I've tried that a time or two in other people's pens and it didn't work well for me.

greybeard

Reaction score
I load thru an alley that funnels down from 4' to 28" via a sort gate. I've never had a wreck in that alley. Once they get in the narrow part, they head for the trailer unless one balks at the step up of the trailer itself. All my trouble comes in the 12' alley leading to the sweep. That's the only place I have to get in among them.
I'm never very good at drawing my pen. The sort gate is a prefiert 3 way sort gate. Send them straight ahead to headgate, or out to load, or cull back out to the holding area. The sliding gate is to keep 'em back in the 10' section after the sweep while I reposition the sort gate. All gates except my escape gate swing both directions.
Not drawn perfect, and not all corners are square like I have it drawn. I don't have more than 40 head at any given time and usually don't put more than 15 in the holding pen at any given time to work.
The gate just below the word 'sort' swings around and isolates the working area from the holding area.

J&D Cattle

Reaction score
I have a pen that leads up to my sweep that has a gate on one side of it. Back the trailer in at a 45 and I then have a couple of gates I can use to push them up until they are essentially pushed on the trailer. I normally just get in with them and cut how many out I want in each section of the trailer and move them along with a stick. None of my setups would allow for anything else or I'd be loading out through the headgate itself which I wouldn't like at all. We're loading gooseneck trailers and not pots.

kenny thomas

Reaction score
Clinch Valley, come and look at mine before you buy anything or dig the first hole. Might give you some good ideas.
I like greybeards design also.

Latest posts