Chute System under building.. What size ?

Help Support CattleToday:

ddd75

Reaction score
building a building over my system.

The system measures 24 x 39' to the end of the headgate.

I was thinking a 36 x 40. The headgate would be right near the end of the barn. I figured this might be pretty good for light showing an exit.

the building will be I'm thinking 12' tall and be concreted.

panels will be bolted to concrete.

Anything I should think about doing ? Think that building size will work well for the system size?

Just a roof, or solid walls? If it's just a roof, I'd want the chute further from the edge to keep blowing weather off of it, and shade on it. Instead of bolting to the crete, maybe set the pens up so you can set support posts before you pour the concrete? Might be less work? I've been dreaming of a roof over my chute for a while.

Farm Fence Solutions":3rrmx1l8 said:
Just a roof, or solid walls? If it's just a roof, I'd want the chute further from the edge to keep blowing weather off of it, and shade on it. Instead of bolting to the crete, maybe set the pens up so you can set support posts before you pour the concrete? Might be less work? I've been dreaming of a roof over my chute for a while.
just a roof..

the sides of the chute should be about 10' or so away from the wall. I did think of the weather hitting the front but not sure if I want to make the building 9' longer just for that. still in the thinking process on that one.

ddd75":28w4712p said:
Farm Fence Solutions":28w4712p said:
just a roof..

the sides of the chute should be about 10' or so away from the wall. I did think of the weather hitting the front but not sure if I want to make the building 9' longer just for that. still in the thinking process on that one.

Maybe cover the back pens with a square building, and a bump out over the chute? Could save some cash?

Farm Fence Solutions":1kf41i0l said:
ddd75":1kf41i0l said:
Farm Fence Solutions":1kf41i0l said:
just a roof..

Maybe cover the back pens with a square building, and a bump out over the chute? Could save some cash?

thats a good idea.

I wouldn't worry much about the light thing if you don't have any walls. You will have plenty of light or at least mine does. My chute is in the center of the building.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want the whole thing concreted? It would seem to me to be messier and slicker. Mud shouldn't be an issue.

bird dog":1jfcvpag said:
I wouldn't worry much about the light thing if you don't have any walls. You will have plenty of light or at least mine does. My chute is in the center of the building.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want the whole thing concreted? It would seem to me to be messier and slicker. Mud shouldn't be an issue.

really soft soil here. one run in the rain would make it a mess. everything sinks around here just sitting for a month it'll sink 6". I'll groove the concrete for traction. they seem to run good on all the other concrete i've put in and grooved.

ddd75":3qnygwh0 said:
bird dog":3qnygwh0 said:

really soft soil here. one run in the rain would make it a mess. everything sinks around here just sitting for a month it'll sink 6". I'll groove the concrete for traction. they seem to run good on all the other concrete i've put in and grooved.

We have a top only with a concrete pad. It works great. No lights under the awning yet. I plan to put lights there after I retire and have the time. The only time we would need them would be for after dark work. Other wise you will have plenty of light.