12 steers starting out on rented pasture!!

Help Support CattleToday:

Canadiancowboy money can be made currently with fed cattle. Prices are good. It will work for you, if you know how to make it work, you don't even need grass. Naysayers are abundant, most are clueless when it comes to fed cattle, but preach as experts. Ask for advice from people in the fed cattle business. They can lead you in the right direction.

longtimelurker,
That is true, but you have the advantage of buying your feed in bulk and you buy a lot of it, so you get a better price break than a person buying a ton at a time.

You also have the facilities to store your feed.

We don't know what type of facilities Canadiancowboy has for handling and feeding his stock.

longtimelurker":hpun13qo said:
Canadiancowboy money can be made currently with fed cattle. Prices are good. It will work for you, if you know how to make it work, you don't even need grass. Naysayers are abundant, most are clueless when it comes to fed cattle, but preach as experts. Ask for advice from people in the fed cattle business. They can lead you in the right direction.

No one said that money couldn't be made lurker. For him to not need grass he would have to run a stocker operation. The poor guy doesn't even know what vaccinations or what type of feed is needed. He thinks that Ivomec pour on is an insecticide. If you think that Canadian Cowboy doesn't need help, than you are the clueless one.

Canadian Cowboy, I mean no disrespect to you as a person, but from your posts there is a lot you need to learn. That's o.k., we all start out somewhere. From your description, it seems like your trying to be a "stocker" or take steers, feed them, and sell them later at a (hopefully) higher price. This is not luck; it just doesn't happen by accident. It all takes much planning. No I'm not a stocker, I'm a cow/calfer, but the basics are the basics. You still need to know how to take care of a cow.Regardless of what lurker tells you, the only way to make money is to know you stuff and limit expenses. Ask Stocker Steve or some of the CT members that are stockers. If it was so easy - as lurker implies - everyone would do it. The cattle business is not a get rich business. Anyone who tells you that is either lying or they have an interest in you buying something from them.

I'm done with this thread. Let lurker guide you to the untold riches to be had!

chippie":2xf0uy1g said:
longtimelurker,
That is true, but you have the advantage of buying your feed in bulk and you buy a lot of it, so you get a better price break than a person buying a ton at a time.

You also have the facilities to store your feed.

We don't know what type of facilities Canadiancowboy has for handling and feeding his stock.
Chippie a bushel of corn costs $3.38 regardless if you buy 1 bushel or 100,000. grass hay costs $100.0 per ton regardless if you buy 1 ton or 1000 ton. Storing feed is evil as it requires capital, contracts do not.

cypressfarms":3u6a3kd1 said:
No one said that money couldn't be made lurker. For him to not need grass he would have to run a stocker operation.

The poor guy doesn't even know what vaccinations or what type of feed is needed. He thinks that Ivomec pour on is an insecticide. If you think that Canadian Cowboy doesn't need help, than you are the clueless one.
This is why I suggested he seek advice from someone in the fed cattle business, rather than naysayers with very limited knowledge of the fed cattle business.

Latest posts