113 vs 99 days bred

Help Support CattleToday:

bandit80

Reaction score
You all may remember a couple of heifers I posted on here 3 weeks ago or so that will be sold in late September. I corralled them last evening to igenity and preg test. The preg test has to be performed by a vet, but I did it myself just to be sure they were bred.

Both were bred, and I thought it pretty obvious one was AI bred and the other was about 80-85 days bred. The AI bred animal had a fetus a little longer than my thumb to pinky finger with my hand stretch out, or about the size of a big rat. The other, the fetus would fit in the palm of my hand, slightly bigger than a mouse. Normally the buyers give more for the animal is she can be confirmed bred to the AI date.

Both were AI'd on the 22nd of April. The clean-up bull was put in 14 days later. Now I know this is a tight window, and probably can't determine AI bred or bull bred based on calving date alone. However, I thought a good preg checker could determine if the cow is 113 days bred or 99 days bred. When I took the preg check class in college, I thought it was pretty easy to determine how far a female is along up to about 150 days. After that it became more difficult in my opinion. My vet told me he would determine bred or not, but would not confirm to the AI date. Shouldn't a good palpater be able to tell the difference, or am I asking too much.

OK Bandit...I'm coming up there and show you just one more time.... :lol: :lol: I use to be good at palpating but never tried to call them down to the day. Never had that much confidence. ;-) Only recommendation I might make would be to wait another week or so before putting them in with the bull next time.

If you want somebody that can tell down to that level of accuracy, you'd need to find somebody who specializes in it for feedlots or auction barns. Your vet most likely makes his living on dogs and cats, not preg checking cows.

Latest posts