1017 lb bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

SBMF 2015 said:
southernultrablack said:
SBMF 2015 said:
That's a nice looking pair.

I think it's really a gray area. A lot depends on when you wean. An eight month old calf has a lot better chance of weighing half of what his momma does vs a five month old calf.
Thank you.
While I don't think your going to wean half the dams weight at 5 months, it is entirely possible at 205 days. This calf was 715 pounds at 210 days old. His dam holds a 360 day calving interval and has a good udder. I doubt she weighs 1400 pounds. You have to have the genetics.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
SBMF 2015 said:
southernultrablack said:
So true but I'm a heck of a lot more likely to wean at 8 than at 5 in a normal year.

I used to wait as long as I could (8mos or a little longer) but any more as soon as the grass gets short and I have to start supplementing the grass with silage the calves get weaned. If I have to feed them any way they might as well be away from momma so the cows can get in better condition before the weather gets colder.

Richnm said:
A buddy of mine weaned a massive bull calf. His adjusted weaning weight is 1017 pounds! I offered to buy him as a clean up bull . What's a good offer? His reg #9692589.

How much pasture is he going on? Will he have to walk distances to breed or drink. If his momma is that big, I would have to pass. Just know that bull is going to melt like a marshmallow unless you keep pouring feed to him.

in addition to the melt like an ice cube in the Texas heat issue, I would seriously worry about his feet and legs holding up long term after being pushed that hard.

well, going by my recent experience with bulls, my purchased bull was a bit fat, my homeraised one was a bit thin.. Fatso seems to be the dominant, but he's so slow doing breeding my homeraised one gets them all first

How can you tell how well muscled something is when he's got an inch of fat?

Here's my two brothers, younger one is 5 months, no creep, older one ate with the cows all winter, wouldn't have hurt him to get a better diet

I don't know, seems like a good breeder should be able to wean a 1000# bull calf without making him look like a feedlot steer. Just sayin'.

Silver said:
I don't know, seems like a good breeder should be able to wean a 1000# bull calf without making him look like a feedlot steer. Just sayin'.

I think the ones that do, don't do it with 1200 lb cows, they're 2200 lb cows

Even SAV admits to a 205 Day Wt of a mere 881 lbs. ;-) The latter isn't to be confused with when a calf was actually weaned.

Nesikep said:
well, going by my recent experience with bulls, my purchased bull was a bit fat, my homeraised one was a bit thin.. Fatso seems to be the dominant, but he's so slow doing breeding my homeraised one gets them all first

Here's my two brothers, younger one is 5 months, no creep, older one ate with the cows all winter, wouldn't have hurt him to get a better diet

Nice picture. How much do you irrigate? Do you have to pay for the water?

Kingfisher said:
Nesikep said:

Nice picture. How much do you irrigate? Do you have to pay for the water?
When it's hot like it is now (100F in the shade) it's my primary duty.. we use about 600gpm at the peak, it's gravity fed from a creek.. pay for the water license

Nesikep said:
Silver said:

I can tell you that this cow doesn't weigh anywhere near 2200 lbs, and weaned a bull calf over 1,100 lbs at just over 8 months of age on nothing but grass and poplar leaves. Now, this feat might be easier in the north where cattle don't have to fight the heat and seem to grow better in general, I won't speculate. But it can be done.

Silver said:
Nesikep said:
Silver said:

I can tell you that this cow doesn't weigh anywhere near 2200 lbs, and weaned a bull calf over 1,100 lbs at just over 8 months of age on nothing but grass and poplar leaves. Now, this feat might be easier in the north where cattle don't have to fight the heat and seem to grow better in general, I won't speculate. But it can be done.

Good looking cow.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Silver said:
Nesikep said:

Good looking cow.

Sadly she's not mine.

Latest posts