1017 lb bull calf

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas said:
930-100lb birth weight divided by 180 days = 4.6lb per day. Very good. But he looks so short framed I wouldn't have him as a gift. But very impressive growth.

Feed sack can make em all pretty.
Everything looks good fat cept your girlfriend and hunting dog.

I keep looking at the pictures... lol
Hes definitely a fat butt boy. What's the plan for him?
I bet he could breed the the heck out of a feed bunk!
But seriously.. quite impressive. :nod:

Is he an America offspring?

Buck fifty....

I like him. I think he is attractive but over weight. He has a had a genomic profile run and his epd's indicate both excellent growth and maternal traits. He excels in many areas with the exception of marbling. He may still be better than most other breeds in that area. He scored in the top of the breed for weaning weight, calving ease for his daughters, heifer pregnancy and docility. I think he would have been a better breeding bull without the 10 pounds a day of starter. I agree he may have issues associated with those extra pounds on his young frame, but in a flat pasture of 40 acres or less, he will probably do just fine.

Many seedstock producers overfeed, because that is what sells. Just look at SAV. They get a fortune for those animals and you rarely see one that isn't way too heavy to handle the rigors of pasture breeding in more difficult terrain. Everyone likes to point out the excessive fat on sale bulls, or their neighbors new expensive purchase, but when they buy a bull, almost everyone still goes for fat and pretty. The same bull in working cloths, just doesn't get the same attention. You can't blame bull sellers for feeding to get the look customers bid on.

I would demand a breeding soundness exam, before agreeing to buy him. I think if you can buy him for $2000, you'd be getting a deal. Know that he may not hold up, but that is a risk with every bull.

Good weight and it is interesting to see what an animal is capable of performance wise I'm not sure how practical it is to push intended breeding stock that hard though. When I was selling registered bulls, if mine were anywhere near the stage of looking fat or over fed, it was almost impossible to sell them. I had to find the balance and try to keep them in good healthy growing condition but not let them get to the point that they looked fat. Even then a lot of folks would be faulting them saying they will fall off when running with cows. Even selling commercial calves weaned and preconditioned if they are fat they will be labeled fleshy and docked.

Richnm said:
jscunn said:
a couple of questions how old was he at weaning? and what is the creep fed recipe?

930 lbs ish. 6 months old. Free choice winter wheat , 10 pounds a day of 16 percent starter.
He must have a better checkbook that I got. 10# of starter a day, here that cost $15/50# bag or thirty cents a # it's costing him $3/day just in calf starter. 4.97 weight per day of age he spent alot cash to get him that big.

Till-Hill said:
Richnm said:
jscunn said:
a couple of questions how old was he at weaning? and what is the creep fed recipe?

930 lbs ish. 6 months old. Free choice winter wheat , 10 pounds a day of 16 percent starter.
He must have a better checkbook that I got. 10# of starter a day, here that cost $15/50# bag or thirty cents a # it's costing him $3/day just in calf starter. 4.97 weight per day of age he spent alot cash to get him that big.

Not sure what his feed costs were. Starter in a bag is the same $15/bag here. But I'm buying a 16% ration of ddg, soybean hulls, corn, etc for $270/ton bulk, delivered. That helps the feed bill tremendously

We go to the same place for starter it's $12.00 per bag. I was feeding a bag a day to 3 AI yearling bulls last winter, with unlimited hay and did not get 4.5 ADG. The bull definitely converts feed to pounds better than most. I like the bulls docility ,$M , I don't think his be and CED will hold up.

I am in the middle of the corn belt we probably have more feed resources then any other place in the country. You couldn't give me ton cows. They just are not efficient.
I get sale catalogs from some big name Angus breeders and I just shake my head. Commercial producers can not afford to maintain condition on that big of cows.

SBMF 2015 said:
I am in the middle of the corn belt we probably have more feed resources then any other place in the country. You couldn't give me ton cows. They just are not efficient.
I get sale catalogs from some big name Angus breeders and I just shake my head. Commercial producers can not afford to maintain condition on that big of cows.

That's true for me, I've culled pretty hard, and some of the first to be identified for culling have been some big registered Angus cows, of course there were others too. All of the big 1600 lbs + cows stayed up n good shape but their mature size did not usually translate into calves that weaned of any larger than those from cows that weighed 3-400 pounds less. My theory is to run cows that are 1200-1300 more or less and breed them to a bull with a little larger frame. Then for replacements preferably a bull from those cows that is about the same frame or even a little less than the larger cows.

Ky hills said:
SBMF 2015 said:

That's true for me, I've culled pretty hard, and some of the first to be identified for culling have been some big registered Angus cows, of course there were others too. All of the big 1600 lbs + cows stayed up n good shape but their mature size did not usually translate into calves that weaned of any larger than those from cows that weighed 3-400 pounds less. My theory is to run cows that are 1200-1300 more or less and breed them to a bull with a little larger frame. Then for replacements preferably a bull from those cows that is about the same frame or even a little less than the larger cows.

Yep, I like them just a touch bigger 1350-1450. If I don't have enough home raised replacements and have to go to the sale barn, I can usually buy quality cows cheap because those 1300 pounders aren't big enough for most of the crowd. Those cows are shrank out and after a couple days at home they'll weigh 1350-1450.
I want cows that will produce steers that will finish at their momma 's mature at wt. I.E.: A 1,400 lb cow needs to produce a calf with the potential to finish at 1,400lbs in 16-18 mos.

SBMF 2015 said:
Ky hills said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Yep, I like them just a touch bigger 1350-1450. If I don't have enough home raised replacements and have to go to the sale barn, I can usually buy quality cows cheap because those 1300 pounders aren't big enough for most of the crowd. Those cows are shrank out and after a couple days at home they'll weigh 1350-1450.
I want cows that will produce steers that will finish at their momma 's mature at wt. I.E.: A 1,400 lb cow needs to produce a calf with the potential to finish at 1,400lbs in 16-18 mos.
The rule of thumb used to be that a steer would finish about 150 pounds over the dam's weight.

Ebenezer said:
SBMF 2015 said:
Ky hills said:

The rule of thumb used to be that a steer would finish about 150 pounds over the dam's weight.

I hadn't heard that before, but it's pretty close. Our goal for a 60/40 split load of fat strs & hfrs is 1,425lbs.

We're all in the ball park. The idea that a cow can wean half her body weight is pretty unrealistic at any weight.

Stocker Steve said:
What cow size would you target if you were selling all your feeder calves?

I sell some feeders, 12-1400lb cows is still pretty good. As long as you don't sacrifice frame on your calves you can probably have smaller cows. You can make up some of that frame from the bull as long as you don't have cows so small that they have calving difficulties.
I background the calves I sell 90-120 days depending on when I wean. It can be a trick to make them grow but still be green enough to top the sale.

southernultrablack said:
SBMF 2015 said:
Ebenezer said:
It's not unrealistic. Might have to do a lot of culling to get them, but they do exist.

That's a nice looking pair.

I think it's really a gray area. A lot depends on when you wean. An eight month old calf has a lot better chance of weighing half of what his momma does vs a five month old calf.

SBMF 2015 said:
southernultrablack said:
SBMF 2015 said:
That's a nice looking pair.

I think it's really a gray area. A lot depends on when you wean. An eight month old calf has a lot better chance of weighing half of what his momma does vs a five month old calf.

So true but I'm a heck of a lot more likely to wean at 8 than at 5 in a normal year.

Latest posts