1000 bales of hay

Help Support CattleToday:

stockbub

Reaction score
I am starting to feed hay now. I usually feed 400 bales a year. This year everyone has hay around here so there is not a hay market and I am in a position where I do not have to sell it just to give it away. Should I purchase some calves to feed, bred cows, or just keep the hay for next year. We are starting to get dry again and last year was horrible. Do not want to feel that way again. Also, with how dry it is, some say, we may have another dry summer. Any thoughts?

Hold on to it. If you don't use it next year shred it and use it as a soil addition for your pastures

You never know what the weather is going to do. I like to have enough on hand to feed two years. A little more won't hurt. Comes in handy if you're feeding in July. I'll start feeding this year with hay made last year. Like BigBull said, if kept under cover hay has a very good shelf life.

fitz

stockbub":1bnrv21n said:
I am starting to feed hay now. I usually feed 400 bales a year. This year everyone has hay around here so there is not a hay market and I am in a position where I do not have to sell it just to give it away. Should I purchase some calves to feed, bred cows, or just keep the hay for next year. We are starting to get dry again and last year was horrible. Do not want to feel that way again. Also, with how dry it is, some say, we may have another dry summer. Any thoughts?

as long as you have it where it will stay good and out of weather keep it.. better to have too much than too little.. just as others have said you dont know what tomorrow will bring...

There were thousands of tons of 2 yr old (or older) hay trucked in, sold and fed in Texas in 2011--and much of it sold at premium prices. Hold it.

Hay in a barn is as good as money in a bank...it's there when you need it.

Secondly, what costs do you expect to incur NEXT year to replace any you sell today? Would you be ahead to keep what you have, cut production costs next year maybe producing a little less and still come out ahead? OH....don't forget the cost of equipment wear and tear as well as your time (or someone else's) to replace anything you sell when doing your calculations. Depending on the size and scale of your operation, you may be surprised how the numbers fall. Really to many variables for a single answer to fit every instance. (What that means is I believe my hay in the barn is more valuable in the barn than converting it to cash.)

1982vett,
I saw an ad last winter in which a guy west of Houston decided to sell a big barn full of his own 2010 and 2011 hay for $145/round bale coastal--explaining he had decided to sell it and feed his cows rice straw. I'm guessing he made out pretty good, and was at least honest about it.
Like you said--$ in the bank.

stockbub":2dokdlyq said:

No such thing as to much hay.
If I hadn't had two years worth stockpiled when the drought hit I wouldn't have a cow left on the place.

stockbub":275acbjg said:

Hold onto it, next year may be a drought or harvest may not be that great! Better to have to much then not enough :)

Latest posts