10 years from now if we make it

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
What do you think it will be like 10 years from now. Will the grocery stores be bigger or will we be reverting back to home gardens a few chickens, a hog and a cow in every back yard.
Personally I do not see it getting any better in the future. We have already messed up the food supply with too many chemicals and hormones and the price of everything will be going through the roof shortly if we reach 4 dollars a gallon for fuel. What do you think?

I don't think things will change that much in 10 years... Maybe more demand for organic foods, but the trend for farming will still be one of consolidation into larger corporate farms. Hormones aren't really an issue except for news stories to make you scared. There are more hormones in an apple you eat than the increase caused in meat from implanting your calves. The biggest problem long-term will be the depletion of the world's topsoil.

Rough'n'Ready Plantation":1ea32dhx said:
There are more hormones in an apple you eat than the increase caused in meat from implanting your calves. The biggest problem long-term will be the depletion of the world's topsoil.
I better not eat any more apples
I think we will revert to 50 years ago, when everyone had a garden and preserverd their food and raised a few animals. Just my theory.
Not my opinion, because you know what opinions are like.......

lancemart":37o11d91 said:
I think we will revert to 50 years ago, when everyone had a garden and preserverd their food and raised a few animals. Just my theory.
Not my opinion, because you know what opinions are like.......

Then there will be a lot of people starving. Less land available to have a garden and the skills to raise and preserve your own products are being lost at an alarming rate.

dun

More heat, less water. Fewer/Bigger companies. Gene patients.
Wars both declared and by default. The rich getting richer.
And the poor being supported by goverments. Which means it will be good for the organic growers, their customers can afford it. And good for commerical growers as the demand increases with the population. Get used to being told how and where you can do what and when. In ten years you will see the insurance companies using vehicle black boxes to absolve themselves of settlements. Get used to eid for your own transactions also. I'll hush now.
G (enuine)
U (seless)
R (andom)
U (tterances)

Rough'n'Ready Plantation":66rvdkki said:
I don't think things will change that much in 10 years... Maybe more demand for organic foods, but the trend for farming will still be one of consolidation into larger corporate farms. Hormones aren't really an issue except for news stories to make you scared. There are more hormones in an apple you eat than the increase caused in meat from implanting your calves. The biggest problem long-term will be the depletion of the world's topsoil.

I think you got it figgered pretty close :)

mnmt

4 dollars a gallon for fuel.

If it reachs to that i am goin back to horse and buggys
Sam

Caustic Burno":d4vpzwl5 said:
Hmmm might be a good market for them organic Piney Woods Rooters.

Oh Gawd, somebody bought Festus a computer.

CB, What happened to Hoss?

3MR":13bo3kdb said:
Caustic Burno":13bo3kdb said:
Hmmm might be a good market for them organic Piney Woods Rooters.

Oh Gawd, somebody bought Festus a computer.

CB, What happened to Hoss?

Festus bought some false teeth and Hoss donated the Ponderosa to the Moonies.

We are all part of an emerging global economy where the "have nots" of the past now have more buying power (i.e. China, Korea, Pacific Rim). Commodities are in demand.
Beef = Commodity Produce a superior product for less and producers will have built in demand in the US and abroad for many years to come.

lancemart":1x8wnmuq said:
What do you think it will be like 10 years from now. Will the grocery stores be bigger or will we be reverting back to home gardens a few chickens, a hog and a cow in every back yard.
Personally I do not see it getting any better in the future. We have already messed up the food supply with too many chemicals and hormones and the price of everything will be going through the roof shortly if we reach 4 dollars a gallon for fuel. What do you think?

I am not as negative as your post makes you appear. Our parents went through heck in the war and some of them probably had the same thoughts.

There will be tough times ahead for every generation. But in the end humanity has been here for a long time and is a personal belief that we will be here for an even longer time to come.

Times will change but the human is an amazingly adaptable creature. Wars, political strife, disease and the dreaded computer - all will likely come and go.

Economies come and go as do civilizations. But the person seems to keep on going. Perhaps I am simply thinking in too positive or too simplistic a manner.

Fuel will change, retail outlets will change and certainly there will be problems feeding people in the future.

So, hang on to the land folks - it may be our saving grace.

Bez?

I will post a link to J.Kunstler's writings titled "The
Long Emergency". It was written as oil passed the $55
per barrel mark, last year. He does make some very
disturbing forecasts about our future; but if you consider
how dependant the world's population(maybe except
the rainforest people) is on fossil fuels---then maybe he
is just being logical. Check it out--then do a google
on "peak oil".

http://www.energybulletin.net/4856.html

I look for bigger everything in 10 years.. super markets, cattle producers, etc. etc. Things being produced more like pork and chicken.. in small areas, totally foreign to their natural environment

I personally think if the world doesn't stop procreating at such an alarming rate, there won't be room for a pasture for grazing one cow anywhere. Land is being snatched up (everywhere) at an alarming rate, and large tracts of land are getting divided up every day. The government is going to be the only entity (besides maybe Ted Turner) that owns any land to speak of.

lancemart":277bg5yk said:

I heard people saying this, almost in the same words, back in the 1970s. I really don't understand the sense of hopelessness you seem to be communicating. It's not like it got all screwed up before you got here and now it's just all ruined.
Look at India. It's a worst case scenario for overpopulation. Good water and fresh water plumbing there are scarce. There are chemical plants and huge factories all over the place. It's a major chore to feed everybody there every day.
It's the fastest growing economy in the world!

There will always be a place for bright, hard working people, in every sector of the economy. Including agriculture.

Ten years is a blink. I have ten year old shoes.

The young people of today do not want to work. Many of them do not know how to do any type of manual labor nor do they want to. Jobs are going overseas and as companies restructure and reorganize the wages are less. Many do not want to pay retirement benefits anymore or good health benefits. We're aborting our work force of the future (not to mention God's wrath that our country will face).

We've become a sue happy, get rich quick, want it now, greedy society. Its few and far between to find people with morals and character. I'm talking about the worldly people as a whole.

I think people are already starting to struggle now, especially the ones who live paycheck to paycheck. I think it would be to anyone's advantage to get their financial situation in order and live within their means because tough times are ahead.

Ten years from now government will be bigger than ever. As we enter a time of global war, the people of America are more than willing to give up liberties in the name of security. Everyone wants the government to protect them and we are willing to give government the freedom to do as it pleases to do that. This may be the way we have to go but I hope that we can force government to take action to protect the nation without anymore invasion into the privacy of its citizens. Government already has too much power and is gaining more every time we have a terrorist scare.
With that said, I will predict that a nuclear device will be set off in a major US city in the next ten years. The technology is out there and it is only a matter of time until it is used against us.
Now may be the time for us to bite the bullet and open up a can of whop ass on the Iranians, Syrians, and anyone else that lets terrorist operate in their country.
Bush went on TV at the start of Desert Storm and warned every one that if they weren't with us in our war on terror than they were against us. He never followed through on his threat. It may be time to attack terror at the source. Take the battle to those that allow it to exist in their countries. If local citizens allow their government to support terror then they deserve to feel the power of those that want to live in peace.
Attack terror and quit surrendering my liberties to help me hide from terror. Enough defense it is time to put in the offense.

Latest posts