10 years from now if we make it

Help Support CattleToday:

I won't be buying any cars or anything else for a good while, It'll take it all to get through the next few years.

Then of course there's the nuclear option:: sell it all and have money in the bank and not have a place to go pee off of the back porch.

lancemart":3832vfc1 said:
Can someone please tell me how our present economy works.

It doesn't. Or, at least, it won't for long...

Where does the money come from,

Mortgage companies aren't lending you their own money, they're lending you money they borrowed from the Fed. The Fed "created" that money -- credit, really -- by borrowing from someone else. The way the Fed does that is by selling bonds and t-bills to foreign central bankers in China, Japan, etc, and paying them interest on it... China and Japan buy these instruments not to make money on interest, but to keep US dollars circulating in the US so that we can keep getting car loans and doing cash-out refi's on our houses so that we can buy more imported junk at Wal-Mart.. Doing so keeps their export economies going...

what is it backed by besides the word of our government,

Nothing.

Since 1971, when Nixon abandoned the Bretton-Woods agreement, the US dollar hasn't been backed by anything but trust in the US government to pay our debts and not print too much money.

What do we make in the USA now besides jobs.
The only thing that is created now are new jobs.
I am in the process of selling my house so I can move to the farm across the street and build there, well that was an experience. After signing the sales agreement, the buyers had to do a house inspection to get a mortgage. There were 5 inspectors looking, peaking, turning faucets on etc. There was one with a set of binoculars looking at the foundation and second floor. The lawyers created 5 more non-productive jobs.
Is that all we can make now are new jobs, that are meaningless.!!!!!!!!!!

Not just jobs -- service jobs.

lancemart":20umxboi said:
Wewild":20umxboi said:
lancemart":20umxboi said:
Purple Haze

Your to young to know what that means or you wouldn't have said it.

Or your older ....... and

I was referencing Jimi Hendrix
I am older and wiser now, I think!!!!!!

What did he mean in his song by that?

Wewild":3303qyua said:
I got a good laugh out of this

We might as well quit now.

What flavor is the koolaid?
Not sure about now.
but one time it was grape

WELL I KNOW THERE WONT BE ANY PENNIES OR NICKELS, SO I PLAN TO SAVE MINE , THEN SELL THEM ON EBAY \I MEAN IF SOME ONE WILL PAY 1000+ FOR A BROUSELL SPROUT LEFT OVER FROM CHRISTMAS DINNER IMAGINE THE POSSIBILITIES

Wewild":14m2mdq1 said:

Wewild,

That is the funniest thing I have heard on these boards.

I couldnt agree more

MD

Whatever happens, people are resiliant, especially skilled,(country) people.
When we had UN sanctions imposed in 1965, we began to manufacture what could no longer be imported. Eventually the quality of many products was so good we were exporting instead.As well as various ways of substituting petrolium products, we resorted to minimum till and many other fuel and chemical saving practises crop scouts were hired to inspect for pests and spot treat only the portion of the crop invaded. This was a time during which much of the research toward Holistic farming was perfected out of neccesity. The important consideration for the farmer is to hold on to the land, and husband it wisely,as has already been stated, it will be a scarce resource in the future.

redfornow":2yzktc7f said:
Wewild":2yzktc7f said:

Wewild,

I couldnt agree more

MD

It's not uncommon for the the young to be skidish. We just got to work them and feed them and nuture them as to their anxieties.

When they get our age and have lived a while, their kids will be the same as they where.

Wewild":3969haqm said:
redfornow":3969haqm said:
Wewild":3969haqm said:

Wewild,

I couldnt agree more

MD

It's not uncommon for the the young to be skidish. We just got to work them and feed them and nuture them as to their anxieties.

When they get our age and have lived a while, their kids will be the same as they where.

I have heard it said that children are a grandparents way of getting even with their kids.z

MillIronQH":2yxy2dt3 said:
I have heard it said that children are a grandparents way of getting even with their kids.z

It is worse. They will require our help down to the basic area of cleaning their butt as they did for us. It is a complete reversal that most folks will handle well or not. Seems they made nursing homes for the parents of the latter.

Amazing that with record high fuel prices kids still race from light to light, their parents still have to see how fast the SUV will go on the freeway and I still get nasty looks for having the huevos to pull a stock trailer at 55 mph and make them all go around.
The price of fuel in most countries always has been quite a bit higher than ours...always did get confused with the liters...thought that I was getting a good deal until the metric system shock set in.
We have changed our transportation habits and are now sharing the ride more than in the past...could be just advanced age but I don't make many trips without a purpose and a list and usually stop to pick up a friend....we're even sharing trailer space now.
It will be interesting to see the impact he fuel prices actually have when the books are balanced and the Sch-F is filled out in a few months.
Just my two bits worth....DMc

Wewild":3qtmv82v said:
redfornow":3qtmv82v said:
Wewild":3qtmv82v said:

Wewild,

I couldnt agree more

MD

wewild,
I would say you an I would get along great.
Rather than placing blame someone must accept responsiblity.
If we dont like the way this generation has turned out its on us, not the kids.
They must have our time, help and direction.

MD

The attitudes today are typical of American culture, no one wants to take responsibility or accountability. You see the victim attitude everywhere, my cow died so who's fault is it.
It's yours poor management. My kid is a turd it's your fault forgot to be Mom or Dad different job description than making kids happy.
You alone are responsible and accountable of what you get out of life.

Caustic Burno":3mpi5w7g said:
The attitudes today are typical of American culture, no one wants to take responsibility or accountability. You see the victim attitude everywhere, my cow died so who's fault is it.
It's yours poor management. My kid is a turd it's your fault forgot to be Mom or Dad different job description than making kids happy.
You alone are responsible and accountable of what you get out of life.
You're right. A woman told me the other the other day that she would wake up her son this summer by geting into bed with him and reading to him. I said, "Your son is in the sixth grade and you get into bed and read to him?" She said, "Yes, we're friends." I told her she was supposed to be his momma. My momma or daddy neither one ever told anybody I was their "friend". I was, and am, their son, period.I hate seeing parents try to be best friends with their kids. The kids lose all respect for the parents when that happens.

Most problems are self wrought.Learn by your mistakes, and accept accountability. It's easy to blame others for what happens.

We raise our kids like we were raised, show them Love, attention and direction, and dont take a back talkin' from them. Hopefully we'll get back what we've put in them. So far, it's worked.

My daughter is my friend and I admire and respect her. But she's creeping up on 45 now or maybe creeping past it.

dun

Susie David":1eg08els said:
Amazing that with record high fuel prices kids still race from light to light, their parents still have to see how fast the SUV will go on the freeway and I still get nasty looks for having the huevos to pull a stock trailer at 55 mph and make them all go around.

DMc

I find it hard to believe how many people that complain about the price of gas and heating fuel are a big part of the problem and won't admit it. Do we really need the biggest gas guzzling vehicle money can buy and do we really need to drive 85 mph to get somewhere a few seconds sooner? Do we really need a 6 bedroom, 4 bathroom house with a 4 car garage for a family of four?

Call me an old fuddy duddy if you like, but I have a hard time understanding people who are so selfish and wasteful and then want to blame others for the high price of fuel.

Susie David":fyltlxba said:
We have changed our transportation habits and are now sharing the ride more than in the past...could be just advanced age but I don't make many trips without a purpose and a list and usually stop to pick up a friend....we're even sharing trailer space now.

Good for you! Wish others would follow your lead.

Wewild":3urhcgpd said:
It is worse. They will require our help down to the basic area of cleaning their butt as they did for us. It is a complete reversal that most folks will handle well or not. Seems they made nursing homes for the parents of the latter.
A Yup and they don't want to change their clothes or have their bedding changed. What they do want they want right now. Not later NOW. Been there, but after a stroke and keeping two households 375 miles apart I had to join the latter.
There were limits to my abilities. But don't regret a minute of it.
And it's not about money. Although some of hteir peers thought so.

lancemart":1h458t7t said:
or will we be reverting back to home gardens a few chickens, a hog and a cow in every back yard.

As of the last few weeks, I think the hogs will be taking over. They'll be not only in the backyard, but the front yard too. If we go back to gardening, you'd better have a heavy rought iron fence around your garden.