10 star bull

Help Support CattleToday:

oldshep

Reaction score
10 star bull identified. Are there any other 10 stars out there? What could this mean to the growth of the angus breed or industry? :?:

There is also an 8 star Santa heifer. Genestar seems to be inventing more and more tender and marbling genes in order to boost their income. Where is it going to stop?

Well, I must be newer to the game than I thought.

This star rating thing .... is it something one company uses, or is some type of new rating system over the entire cattle world?

Never heard of it before - so let's get a definition please.

Bez!

ok lets see if i can get my mind working on this.the gene star program is a rating system used for producing tender beef.they use the ultasound to measure the ribbeye an marbing on cattle.an those cows an bulls that have what they are looking for are rated on the gene star system.the bottomline is this the breed assoc uses the info promoting their breeds tenderness an ability to grade choice an prime on the rail.in the future they will be able to tell how cattle will grade out on the hoof.by using the ulrasound an knowing how to read what they see.

bigbull338":3mz4udpo said:
ok lets see if i can get my mind working on this.the gene star program is a rating system used for producing tender beef.they use the ultasound to measure the ribbeye an marbing on cattle.an those cows an bulls that have what they are looking for are rated on the gene star system.the bottomline is this the breed assoc uses the info promoting their breeds tenderness an ability to grade choice an prime on the rail.in the future they will be able to tell how cattle will grade out on the hoof.by using the ulrasound an knowing how to read what they see.

Great - but this still does not answer my question. Who started this thing? Who controls it? Who markets it? Where is it found?

Bet there are many like me who have never heard of this before.

Lots of semen sellers do test geneticaly for the tenderness gene - but no star rating provided - therefore I believe this star thing to be someones marketing tool and nothing more - at least at the moment.

And so on. Sounds like it is fairly localized - unless all semen sellers are doing this - and to date they certainly are not.

Thnx

Bez!

your right bez.right now it isnt widely done.but it all started with the bulls to see what kind of meat they produce.an a few private AI studs.its a promotional breed tool right now.

It doesn't have anything to do with ultrasound scores. Genestar is a company that has presumably identified individual genes within the DNA of cattle that are markers for tenderness and marbling. They all have seperate names and seperate functions in the tenderness and marbling process.

http://www.geneticsolutions.com.au/content/products_c1.asp?name=GeneSTAR

It is another way to promote your sire or breeding stock as having the desired genes and at worst is another way to let corporations make money off the cattle man, by dictating what we shold be breeding on the basis of a few genes.

your right that those genes have been ided.though testing an looking at the cells.but wrong to say ulta sound isnt used to check for desired effct of their breeding program.saying a bull is a gene star bull doesnt make him a tender producer.it takes ultasound recordsas well as hang on the rail test.as yall know all bulls an cows dont transfer all the good genes to all the calves .that they sire or have.

Well what will they think of next?!
I suppose if it works and it is a trustworthy marketer then so be it. I just have heard too much hype in the last few years that I am a little wary of new marketing tools sometimes.

bif

the annoying part is that Bovigen doesnt keep records of what animals get what score. the only thing they do is put the results in an internet database if you send the paper back to them. i asked them if i could get a mean, standard deviation, or what a good score would be compared to their previous results. they said i could look at the online database of selected results to figure out what was good.

it seems like keeping results from new technology wouldnt be too much to ask.

preston39":357aysf2 said:
aero...,

You're right. What do you think of this presentation;

http://www.powellangus.com/HerdSires.html

i think the 8/10 stars is pretty impressive although i am a little bothered by the Keystone picture at the bottom.

we have only had 2 animals tested; both were 6/10.

1 was 5/6 for tenderness, 1/4 for QG.
the other was 4/6 for tenderness and 2/4 for QG, with at least 1 of each marker found.

i think these are pretty good results, but i have nothing to tell me so.

buckaroo_bif":46jj1yn2 said:
what's a ten star bull? and please don't tell me he has flush quality semen. :D
bif
-Prepare yourselves for additional education in regard to GeneStar Tenderness markings and genetic evaluations. This is going to be an explosion of genetic markings that is occuring in the beef industry, and the one's on the ground floor of learning about how to use it are going to be the one's to benefit. And it is not a fluke, as some will probably attempt to spin it.

DOC HARRIS

Bez!":2cwbt909 said:
bigbull338":2cwbt909 said:

Great - but this still does not answer my question. Who started this thing? Who controls it? Who markets it? Where is it found?

Bet there are many like me who have never heard of this before.

Lots of semen sellers do test geneticaly for the tenderness gene - but no star rating provided - therefore I believe this star thing to be someones marketing tool and nothing more - at least at the moment.

And so on. Sounds like it is fairly localized - unless all semen sellers are doing this - and to date they certainly are not.

Thnx

Bez!
Bez! Try this: http://www.bovegensolutions.com/html/marbling.html

DOC HARRIS

Did'nt expect all the responses on this....
Preston good website listing by stars and all. Doc you are right this is not a fad or sales gimmick. Autumnoaksangus.com shows a picture of the first 10 star bull "Superstar 302". I was told that Bovigens website is not updated, something about the huricanes and the company that does it. Not sure about that though. My question still is are there more out there. Also I wonder if other breeds have been tested or is this specific to angus?

Oldshep

I think what everyone is seeing is the result of the work being done on the bovine genome project and there will be even more things to come. I think Bovigen is going to have another tenderness gene rolled out right after the first of the year. I don't think we should be too upset with Bovigen for adding new ones. I think all they are doing is performing the tests for the various genes as they are discovered in all of the various research that is ongoing around in the US. Australia was the first country to really get into testing. This should be viewed as another tool for improvement. The whole thing about Bovigen rating the animals is sort of misleading. They are just reporting on test results and it is not subjective. Basically an animal can have two copies of each gene. So as of today there have been 5 genes identified. So a 10 star animal has both copies of all of the genes. Bovigen can not release the results unless the owner of the animal agrees. Everyone should accept all of this new technology because its coming no matter what we think about it.
My 2 cents worth.

i dont want them to tell me every test result. i just want some statistical data (means, std dev) to make the results more meaningful. this would benefit them in my opinion. adding value to their product will encourage me to test more animals.

A few months back when the max was 6 star, I ran across some info on the internet that reported the % of animals that were 6 star, 5 star, 4 star, etc. and had it broken down by breed. I can't recall where I saw it but I will do some looking around and see if I can find it. Even then I'm not sure if those numbers would be accurate. It would depend upon how the animals to be tested were selected. If it wasn't a random sample, my guess is that the results would be skewed high since most people don't test every animal, just the ones they think have high probability of scoring high.

Latest posts