'10 Spring Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

2/B or not 2/B

Reaction score
I enjoy seeing everyone else's calves and wish ours were as big and thick. Here are a few pics anyway...

3096392.jpg

Spring has reached us and the buckeye's have leafed out. The oaks are next and will probably pop within the week.

3096404.jpg

This is the shorthorn cow who caused such a fuss...

3096407.jpg

...and here's her long legged shorthorn x RA bull calf, he was an easy pull

3096408.jpg

This is the '09 heifer that wouldn't back off her and contributed to all the drama. I'd trade her for Nesikep's roan heifer any day of the week.

3096410.jpg

These two calves were both born on 2/10/10, a bull and a heifer. Shown here at 4 weeks old.

3096411.jpg

This shorthorn x RA heifer calf belongs to the cow in the picture above. Shown here 3 days old.

3096412.jpg

"How many times do I have to ask you not to blow milk bubbles?"

3096416.jpg

Same calf as above. Took a big of a hit across the back as you can see.

3096423.jpg

Another shorthorn X RA heifer calf with her mom. Photo taken on her birthday.

3096417.jpg

3096422.jpg

Stopping to smell the flowers, literally. This was followed by a curled nose and some head shaking.

Happy Spring!

That sure is a pretty " yard" you have..........I have been to Cally but never that area. Where are you located? Thanks in advance.

Kingfisher":2rfxwvda said:
That sure is a pretty " yard" you have..........I have been to Cally but never that area. Where are you located? Thanks in advance.

Thanks, we're in the eastern foothills of the San Joaquin Valley, beneath the Sierra Nevadas.

tncattle467":2rfxwvda said:
Is that last pic where the calf is smelling flowers LUPINE? If so you do know that is highly poisonous to cattle and can and will cause either abortions or birth defects. I cannot tell from the photo if it is lupine or not.

No, that's not lupine. We call them snowdrops or popcorn flowers. We have ground lupine here though, as well as angel of death mushrooms, mistletoe and datura which are also poisonous. Cows don't touch the datura or mushrooms. They seem to eat some of the lupine, but apparently not enough to cause trouble. They also eat mistletoe if they can get to it, but unless a tree falls they can't.

Great pics, and I too like the last one of the "baby" taking time to smell the flowers.. :lol2:

Your calves and cows look really nice, but I really really want your grass.. ;-)

Thanks all, this time of year, every year, I feel like the luckiest person on earth. Come July, when we have dry grass if any, dust, flies, and 100-105 heat for weeks at a time, well then I'm envying a lot of you.

Some good looking cattle and calves. *sighs* Wishing for a nice sunny day here and the grass to be growing like that....

The scenery is breathtaking! Your calves & cows look great. Like your yearling.
Yes, I would LOVE to have your grass right now - but NO, I sure wouldn't want the heat & lacking grass in July.
One thing about NY - we really grow a lot of grass (once it starts!!!) :banana: right now it's mud, & more mud - but unusually warm & dry March so far.

Your calves look great and so does your pasture. We're still brown here/and white of course.

2B you have NO reason to make any excuses for any of those calves compared to any others that have
been posted on here... You've got DANDIES!!

very good looking stock. :tiphat:

and REALLY beautiful country! I'm jealous of the green myself!

pretty wet and starting to flood big-time up in our area along the ND/Minn border.

and so far, only 1 calf on the ground.

Latest posts