1/2 ton truck pulling Gooseneck

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
We have a 99 Dodge 1/2 ton truck super cab 2 wheel drive with the Magnum V8 motor.

The other day our farm truck was broke down and I needed to haul a couple horses to vet and was stranded with nothing to pull the 20 ft stock trailer.

Curious if the Dodge 1/2 ton could handle a 20 ft Stock trailer with out squating down to much. With say 2 or 3 cows/horses in it?

If I thought it would I would stick a ball in it just for such emergencies.

I am on the look out for a 16 ft bumper pull also, but might as well have all the bases covered if it could handle it.

If you babied the truck while using it for emergence purposes you should be ok on a limited basis. Make sure to have the electric brake controller installed when you add the ball.

Otherwise just put-put around town while hauling the 20 foot trailer. Take it real easy. You should be OK. Just plan you starts and stops. Avoid big hills, don't overload, etc.......

aplusmnt":12lkiigz said:
We have a 99 Dodge 1/2 ton truck super cab 2 wheel drive with the Magnum V8 motor.

The other day our farm truck was broke down and I needed to haul a couple horses to vet and was stranded with nothing to pull the 20 ft stock trailer.

Curious if the Dodge 1/2 ton could handle a 20 ft Stock trailer with out squating down to much. With say 2 or 3 cows/horses in it?

I am on the look out for a 16 ft bumper pull also, but might as well have all the bases covered if it could handle it.

If your 99 Dodge is an automatic transmission you might want to add a transmission cooler if it doesn't already have one. That's the first place heat will start building when towing.

aplusmnt":1bqvnht3 said:

It should handle it just fine if you don't haul more than 2 or 3 cows or horses. I assume it is a gooseneck stock trailer, you will have less of a problem pulling it then a 16 foot bumper pull.
I would think the gooseneck won't weight 300 lbs more then a 16 ft bumper pull, and will handle much better.

Their should be a sticker on either the door or truck cab where the door latch is with the recommended gross vechiel toeing weights etc...., I would highly reccomend to not exceed weight limits that the sticker says.

And by all means turn the overdrive off even when pulling just the empty trailer. My wife goes to alot of barrel races and rodeos so i tag along occassionally. And i see alot of people toeing thoes big three horse slant load trailers with a living quarters which i am sure are 20 foot + trailers. They use half ton trucks to toe them. But now alot of them are probably feather lite trailers ( trailers built out of cast aluminum) which makes a big difference.

The toeing weight limit on our ton truck is only 10,000 lbs. But it is not a super duty ton truck.

Latest posts