.07 per pound

Help Support CattleToday:

There's only one way to regain balance, but of course no one wants to do it.. if a mass of these contracted growers went on strike essentially, something would change... 1000's of barns mysteriously catch fire on the same night? :roll:

Nesikep":e8kt5wyc said:
There's only one way to regain balance, but of course no one wants to do it.. if a mass of these contracted growers went on strike essentially, something would change... 1000's of barns mysteriously catch fire on the same night? :roll:
Just make your insurance go up....Grand Slam for the processors...Growers thrown under the hoosegow.

if it's not some massive, united front against this usury, then yeah, nothing will ever change.. it would have to cause an absolute shortage of processing birds for some time to actually make a difference

One of my best friends built 2 megas two years ago. Is building another now. He really likes them. My wife and i talked about it at length for several months. It's not for us. With the 2 houses and that is what they want, or you need. And the equipment and outside buildings, you end up with just over a million into it. The guys i know making it work have natural gas and a big ass water well.

A lot depends on your field tech, and how experienced, dedicated they are. My wife was one of the first female techs in the industry and as a woman, had to work harder than anyone at it. She became known as the chicken whisperer and fostered several top flocks and industry recognition for knowledge, but she was always available for the grower, always. She got tired of being torn between the farmer and the companies, 1 example-bad feed killing birds and the company not accepting responsibility, and got out of it eventually.

Nesikep":196n05j3 said:

those companies and the anti-meat crowd WANT that to happen.. They DO NOT want to stay in the US especially with all the lawsuits and regulations.

They will take off out of here in a second and all your food will be imported.

ddd75":1psifnqn said:
Nesikep":1psifnqn said:

those companies and the anti-meat crowd WANT that to happen.. They DO NOT want to stay in the US especially with all the lawsuits and regulations.

Not my food ;-)

Have one dairy farmer that put up 2 turkey houses. They are subsidizing the dairy because of the terrible milk prices. Have another 40 yr old friend putting up 2 broiler houses and another dairy farmer looking at putting up 2 houses next year. The companies make the contracts very enticing. But many are for only 7 years. The houses are mostly financed for 15 years. What if the company says you are not doing a good job and pulls the contract after 7 years....how you gonna make payments for the next 7-8 years? One dairy farmer's son put up a breeder house for the eggs to go to hatch for the broilers. He is doing very well. Very meticulous and is ahead on his payments already.
My son and I talked about it and we just decided that it wasn't for us. He will help the one 40 yr old friend that is putting up the 2. They will be getting birds in the next 2 weeks. They have an agreement with the litter and it will hopefully help us both. The thing is, when the houses get a little age, they require so many upgrades that it seems you stay in some debt most of the time. And then they will want alot of new upgrades, or they just refuse to send birds and they then send them to these new fancy modern just built houses. But there are guys who keep putting up more....

Deepsouth":2bz4ncfh said:
My wife works at a bank. They had a loan advisor come in a few years ago. The first thing he said when he started was "don't loan money for chicken houses". One of the loan officers in the meeting is a chicken farmer.

So this was old news?

Deepsouth":1al4uwed said:
My wife works at a bank. They had a loan advisor come in a few years ago. The first thing he said when he started was
"don't loan money for chicken houses". One of the loan officers in the meeting is a chicken farmer
Loan officer was probably 100% in agreement with the message, after all why would he want to fund more competition
to his poultry production?

ddd75":vxrlauh3 said:
Nesikep":vxrlauh3 said:

Chinese chicken!

Latest posts