A peek. What the buyers don't like.

Help Support CattleToday:

I speak the standard lingo, including tejano/texican plus Spanish and I'm learning navajo, but only a few words get me fired up. I speak a few partials as well, and a few things in Arabic. I speak, bonafide and well, two and a half lingos.

About the only thing autocorrect can do efficiently is add the apostrophes and periods. Other than that the predictive part is about as dumb as a rock and ag riveting lyrics stubborn as well. 🙄

Case in point… aggravatingly stubborn…..

I'll buy you a bottle of your favorite whiskey and deliver it if you can tell me who the hell I'll speak it with other than my wife.
Herby might, I know Henry could but he's passed, Robert has been living on the reservation for a number of years so he might have picked some up.

I know it's not the same for everyone, but around here the dollar saved is easier than the dollar extra at sale time.
If I was to take some people's advice I'd lose my shirt 10x over, but there's a balance there too
Just taking feed supplements, Salt, mineral, Lick tubs, grain, cubes just on my small herd would be staggering if I followed all the recommendations. The cows get the appropriate mineral at the appropriate time of year when they need it, high selenium/copper before calving, high phosphorus after calving and through breeding (we're really low in P), but they get cobalt/iodized salt for a good part of the year too.. Lick tubs are for my replacement heifers, or perhaps a cow that's been sick or in poor shape, rest of the herd doesn't get any.. They all get pretty good hay, but no grain

At $140/tub, $40/bag for mineral, $10/bag for salt...
Doing some quick math, at just 2oz/day mineral is a bag every 2 weeks = 1000/yr or about $50/calf, on a 500lb calf that's $.10/lb.. and some mineral is 4oz per day "recommended" intake

Going too far the other way is bad too if your cows are open and you have health problems
I've never used anything but mineralized salt blocks. This current fascination with expensive tubs is a little wacko from my experience.
And you're right. A dollar saved is easier ( and more reliable ) than the dollar at point of sale.

As an aside, doesn't anyone else get really annoyed when people mispronounce 'corriente'?

I've spoken fluent Spanish for most of my life and can certify that the standard American pronunciation of it is usually flat wrong. If you ever hear north of the border vaqueros use the American pronunciation it's an integration thing. Corriente literally translates into a singular Spanish word/phrase with a correct pronunciation. This anger began many years ago when I first started rodeoing when I was like 9/10.

Also, not that I'm an expert, and if you take me for one you're a d*** fool... but if you're gonna sell corriente cattle as beef then you either need to sell them as freezer beef/personal feeders or have 100 of them to run at a time. Flavorful, but unless they're halfbreeds then a buyer won't give you going rate more than once or twice.
Kory-en-tay

Now the real trick is how do you pronounce the word, "chaps" when describing leather batwings or stovepipes to protect your denims.

D**n, I really don't like it when we can't edit a post.

cha·pa·ra·jos
/ˌSHäpəˈrāōs/

noun
NORTH AMERICAN
plural noun: chaparejos
  1. leather pants without a seat, worn by a cowboy over ordinary pants to protect the legs.

If you pronounce it with a hard CH you are talking about a couple of guys from England... and I don't want a couple of guys from England hanging around between my legs.

D**n, I really don't like it when we can't edit a post.

cha·pa·ra·jos
/ˌSHäpəˈrāōs/

noun
NORTH AMERICAN
plural noun: chaparejos
  1. leather pants without a seat, worn by a cowboy over ordinary pants to protect the legs.

Good channel, but I learned the 'sh' pronunciation many years before they ever started. I outgrew my first set and my mama made me a set from scratch from leather blanks and made sure I understood the lingo and the craft. Good woman.

Latest posts