What is a 5 weight? What is a 6 weight?

Help Support CattleToday:

brandonm_13

Reaction score
WAIT. Before you answer, I know what the term 5 weight and 6 weight means. Here's what I'm asking. What weight do YOU call a 5 weight steer, and what weight do YOU call a 6 weight steer? Do you call a calf that weighs 550 or higher a 5 weight, or do you differentiate with your terminology?

WAIT. Before you answer, I know what the term 5 weight and 6 weight means. Here's what I'm asking. What weight do YOU call a 5 weight steer, and what weight do YOU call a 6 weight steer? Do you call a calf that weighs 550 or higher a 5 weight, or do you differentiate with your terminology?
For me a 500-599 is a 5wt and 600-699 is a 6wt.

For the uninformed, like me, the lingo used in the cattle business is a language all to its own. I've been listening/watching the Feeder Flash every day and when I hear a new word I'll stop, search for it on the interwebs then hit play again. This might be a good topic for a new thread. "Cattle World Slang". It could be very helpful to the newbies.

Guessing... handlebars refers to "eared cattle"... heard "blinker out" once and the person referred to a one eyed animal... whether pinkeye or loss of eye???

@kenny thomas ... honestly I have never heard "handlebars" on a cow.... but you are right... makes perfect sense.... most horns are like handlebars... mentioned it to another farmer friend and he had never heard them called that either...... oh well, got me on that one... Bet I never forget it either :rolleyes::rolleyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:😉😉...... Thank you....

Handlebars...ha.. I wouldnt hold on to them by choice. And absolutely no control, just like Ape hangers on a scoot, dangerous...... in that case I have one with ape hangers that would make my biker buddies jealous. LoL!

Handlebars...ha.. I wouldnt hold on to them by choice. And absolutely no control, just like Ape hangers on a scoot, dangerous...... in that case I have one with ape hangers that would make my biker buddies jealous. LoL!
I have 2 very tame longhorns that I can hold by their horns. But wouldn't recommend it on most.

I have 2 very tame longhorns that I can hold by their horns. But wouldn't recommend it on most.

I have nice ones too. Still wouldnt ride 'em. Seen it on utube but its not for me. Neighbors say it's crazy to be in the field with them. So I ask, How would you rotate them if not in the field? He said with a grinder.....
Should learn to keep to myself.........

I think the oddest one I've ever heard was at a cattle producer meeting. One of the speakers kept saying that the feed lots are willing to pay a huge premium for cattle that are "saucered and blown"
Finally someone asked what he meant;
Saucered and blown refers to cattle that are completely backgrounded and only need feed to be finished. All vaccines and vet work is done

Latest posts