What is a 5 weight? What is a 6 weight?

Help Support CattleToday:

Do y'all like it when the barn weighs the calf when it walks in the ring or when it walks out? We've got 2 salebarns here, 1 weighs before the sale the other after.
I have been to the sale in Eastland TX a few times and they weigh after it goes out of the ring. For an experienced buyer it might be ok but for a novice it would be confusing.
They will be weighing one, bidding on one in the part of the ring near the scale, and another one is coming into the ring.
I like knowing what the calf weighs before I bid on it.

Do y'all like it when the barn weighs the calf when it walks in the ring or when it walks out? We've got 2 salebarns here, 1 weighs before the sale the other after.
Here virtually all the sales have ring scales. So when they come into the ring they are being weighed and almost immediately the weight pops up on the reader board. Total weight, average weight, and number of head.

Here in Kentucky, we have not seen the extreme high prices for lightweights. A pretty nice 350 lb. calf sold as a single may not bring as much per pound as a 700 pound calf sold in a uniform large group, all long time weaned and with two rounds of shots.
Grass and hay are scarce but it looks like there would be some opportunity here.

Here in Kentucky, we have not seen the extreme high prices for lightweights. A pretty nice 350 lb. calf sold as a single may not bring as much per pound as a 700 pound calf sold in a uniform large group, all long time weaned and with two rounds of shots.
Grass and hay are scarce but it looks like there would be some opportunity here.
Same here. Light weights seem like a bargain.

I have been to the sale in Eastland TX a few times and they weigh after it goes out of the ring. For an experienced buyer it might be ok but for a novice it would be confusing.
They will be weighing one, bidding on one in the part of the ring near the scale, and another one is coming into the ring.
I like knowing what the calf weighs before I bid on it.
That's how it was in Livingston Tx too. You get used to it. Ya kinda needed good peripheral vision to watch the last one's scale reading while also looking over what was already in the ring and listening to the auctioneer too...and, keeping notes what we bought or how much ours sold for. It helped to have a wife helping but mine rarely wanted to go sit thru it.

(Yep, we were multitasking long before it became cool with the younger generations)

This did get me to thinking. The man paying top dollar here for those light calves is buying for the Canadians. Must be all the winter grazing available up north.

This did get me to thinking. The man paying top dollar here for those light calves is buying for the Canadians. Must be all the winter grazing available up north.
Lots of silage in Alberta.

what's "flyweight cattle"?
Its a term representing small stocker cattle. I don't know if there is an official minimum, but around here flyweights are less than 400 pounds, usually something like a 300-350 pound calf, but I know some that are getting 250 pound flyweights.

Latest posts