A peek. What the buyers don't like.

Help Support CattleToday:

We are selling our cattle to feedlots and packing plants, and they are the ones we need to pay attention to because if they can make better money with our neighbours cattle they will pay enough less for ours to make the difference.

How do we change that? How can we make them pay at least a fair price. It seems $2000 mutt dogs are common.
IMO, education. We need accurate labeling to differentiate the products. Then we can test the market on the value.

We need to create a label and market it like CAB. It's stipulations need to cut out foreign beef.

We also need more education on performance for producers and buyers.

IMO, education. We need accurate labeling to differentiate the products. Then we can test the market on the value.

We need to create a label and market it like CAB. It's stipulations need to cut out foreign beef.

We also need more education on performance for producers and buyers.
Isn't that what we have been paying $2 a head beef checkout for. Wonder where that money is going.

How would these calves do where you are? I know they do alright here and compete well with the black calves, but I think buyers here don't care as much about color as some places
Most are about 4-5 months old (most born in Feb 20-Apr 10, pic from late July)
center left blond heifer has probably been the one that developed best, top right background getting licks is from a first timer that really impressed me, kept that steer as freezer beef and he's pretty close to the size of the intact bull calf from a mature cow (the one standing sideways in foreground)
I go for a chunky looking animal that doesn't have too big bones, I found there's a lot of waste there
View attachment 15343
Good looking calves Nesi.

That list shows why allot of people aren't making money. Good calves always bring good money. You've got to understand what buyers want and why. I still don't understand it all but definitely study the yearling end more than the cow end of things. Using a broker instead of just dropping the calves at the barn has been an eye opener for me.
What are the dos and don't for calves? It seems like whenever I take some to our salebarn they bring less than expected.

What are the dos and don't for calves? It seems like whenever I take some to our salebarn they bring less than expected.
For me a defined breeding season and uniformity in the group really helped. We run black cows, nothing special just black and Hereford or angus bulls. The only reason I run all blacks is that's just what we started with. Allot depends on what weight you are selling at too. Too fleshy will get you docked pretty hard and skin and bones hurts as well. I want mine lean and ready to gain on feed at sale time. I'm selling at 18-20 months old though. I think carrying a hodge podge of 350-750# red, black, white, yellow, or spotted calves hurts you. I'm definitely no expert I just messed around until I found something that worked for our operation.

To be fair... anyone can get a mutt from the local animal shelter for an adoption fee.
And people can pay less and get a lower quality of beef if they go down to a meat market and know what to look for.

The average American who doesn't go to a place with more selection and doesn't know what to look for also doesn't care. Most people nowadays only know Angus and Wagyu and they only know that from cooking videos on the internet.

Selling somebody something that will be with them for 10-15 years and something that will be with them for 10-15 hours each comes with their own sales considerations, though there was a dude on here making about 3k a freezer beef cow (I don't know his expenses or how it pencils out after, but that's a good number to subtract from).

And people can pay less and get a lower quality of beef if they go down to a meat market and know what to look for.

The average American who doesn't go to a place with more selection and doesn't know what to look for also doesn't care. Most people nowadays only know Angus and Wagyu and they only know that from cooking videos on the internet.

Selling somebody something that will be with them for 10-15 years and something that will be with them for 10-15 hours each comes with their own sales considerations, though there was a dude on here making about 3k a freezer beef cow (I don't know his expenses or how it pencils out after, but that's a good number to subtract from).
Are we still talking about dogs?

As far as the differences of what cow calf producers want and what feeders and packers want, it can be quite a bit of difference.
The kind of cows that a cow calf producer needs in order to be as economical as possible don't always match the kinds of calves that feeders and packers want. The terminal type calves seldom make economical and or consistent productive replacement females.
The best that we can do is to try to strike a balance between what works for us, and is still acceptable to the folks on up the chain.

There are some people that raise the kind of cattle that they like and then complain about the prices they receive when the cattle buyers don't like them. A better business plan is to raise what the buyers want rather than what you like.
That ain't hard to do either..and it don't take long for you too come around...and its been a lot cheaper for me overall, to do just that..

Latest posts