A peek. What the buyers don't like.

Help Support CattleToday:

For me a defined breeding season and uniformity in the group really helped. We run black cows, nothing special just black and Hereford or angus bulls. The only reason I run all blacks is that's just what we started with. Allot depends on what weight you are selling at too. Too fleshy will get you docked pretty hard and skin and bones hurts as well. I want mine lean and ready to gain on feed at sale time. I'm selling at 18-20 months old though. I think carrying a hodge podge of 350-750# red, black, white, yellow, or spotted calves hurts you. I'm definitely no expert I just messed around until I found something that worked for our operation.
I am curious what your 18-20 month steer weight numbers are. We are feeding different rations, I'm sure but I would guess mine to
weigh 1400 or more by that time. Just sold some 3/4 RA 1/4 Corriente 11 month steers averaging 935#. I keep a few paisley cows
to look at but the calves sold were solid red and the bull is in the top 20% of the breed average for ribeye area.

I know it's not the same for everyone, but around here the dollar saved is easier than the dollar extra at sale time.
If I was to take some people's advice I'd lose my shirt 10x over, but there's a balance there too
Just taking feed supplements, Salt, mineral, Lick tubs, grain, cubes just on my small herd would be staggering if I followed all the recommendations. The cows get the appropriate mineral at the appropriate time of year when they need it, high selenium/copper before calving, high phosphorus after calving and through breeding (we're really low in P), but they get cobalt/iodized salt for a good part of the year too.. Lick tubs are for my replacement heifers, or perhaps a cow that's been sick or in poor shape, rest of the herd doesn't get any.. They all get pretty good hay, but no grain

At $140/tub, $40/bag for mineral, $10/bag for salt...
Doing some quick math, at just 2oz/day mineral is a bag every 2 weeks = 1000/yr or about $50/calf, on a 500lb calf that's $.10/lb.. and some mineral is 4oz per day "recommended" intake

Going too far the other way is bad too if your cows are open and you have health problems

I thought the dogs were more of an example or a segue, but there's 262 calories in a serving of dog meat and I'm willing to experiment. A pitbull around here will cost me about $25, do you have a big smoker?
I've always heard carnivorous animals don't taste very good!
But I do occasionally eat at a sketchy chinese joint, so what do I know??

Free dogs are the best imo!

And someone just had to start up the corriente thing again.

What was this thread about again???

I've had mountain lion, it was a coarse meat but I'd definitely eat that again, Bear ribs are the best ribs I've ever had

As stated, some are good. Bear and big cat are good.

I am curious what your 18-20 month steer weight numbers are. We are feeding different rations, I'm sure but I would guess mine to
weigh 1400 or more by that time. Just sold some 3/4 RA 1/4 Corriente 11 month steers averaging 935#. I keep a few paisley cows
to look at but the calves sold were solid red and the bull is in the top 20% of the breed average for ribeye area.
I got the 18-20 wrong, it's 14-16 months. Last year the steers avgd 825 and the heifers 775. I'd guess the avg November weaning weight at 525#. We feed them 6#s a day from then until April 1st. They get very little if any hay. In April they go to pasture grass. They gain a little less than 1.5#s a day. I could push them harder but fleshy cattle get docked here.

Cat the other white meat!!

To me - time is money. I cannot imagine keeping weaned steer calves around all winter to gain <1.5#/day - I know - I know - you guys don't have winter!! Different world, different management.
@Grayme First - you need to learn how to analyze your own cattle. Maybe you've been around cattle a lot and know what you have - but - "most" people new to the business "love" their cattle and can't "SEE" what they really have. We call that "barn blind". Maybe you are not receiving what you think you should receive because the cattle aren't as good as you think they are?
If you do have good calves, maybe you might try to sell direct to feedlots rather than rolling the dice at the sale barn.

If you go to a sale a couple times and watch the whole sale, you can probably figure out what buyers are looking for.

Better yet, buy some calves for yourself and sell them after a few hundred pounds. You will figure out what is wanted.

Remeber the thread on Corrienti cattle, wonder how'd they'd look on his sheet? 🤣
Capital has 30+ standing orders. A Cap 42 , 45, 35, 34 and 31 is the same quality animal just different weights. Same thing for a Cap 2 ,3 & 5 or a Cap 92, 90, or 94. All these are front end cattle. They also buy 1 1/2 cattle but never a longhorn or corriente.

As an aside, doesn't anyone else get really annoyed when people mispronounce 'corriente'?

I've spoken fluent Spanish for most of my life and can certify that the standard American pronunciation of it is usually flat wrong. If you ever hear north of the border vaqueros use the American pronunciation it's an integration thing. Corriente literally translates into a singular Spanish word/phrase with a correct pronunciation. This anger began many years ago when I first started rodeoing when I was like 9/10.

Also, not that I'm an expert, and if you take me for one you're a d*** fool... but if you're gonna sell corriente cattle as beef then you either need to sell them as freezer beef/personal feeders or have 100 of them to run at a time. Flavorful, but unless they're halfbreeds then a buyer won't give you going rate more than once or twice.

Last edited:
As an aside, doesn't anyone else get really annoyed when people mispronounce 'corriente'?

I've spoken fluent Spanish for most of my life and can certify that the standard American pronunciation of it is usually flat wrong. If you ever hear north of the border vaqueros use the American pronunciation it's an integration thing. Corriente literally translates into a singular Spanish word/phrase with a correct pronunciation. This anger began many years ago when I first started rodeoing when I was like 9/10.
It's not just Corriente - Americans have lots of breed names wrong. Brahman, Hereford, Wagyu, etc.

I am all for learning, whats it supposed to sound like? Probably a little racist but here they are mostly just called Mexican cattle.
Go to Google translate, type it in, and hit the little audio icon. That's pretty close. Without being an a**, that's the easiest way to explain it.

Most Americans pronounce it coor-ee-en-tee

Correct is corr-ee-en-tay.

None of us country boys have that sexy roll to our r's that she does but otherwise we say it like it should be.

None of us country boys have that sexy roll to our r's that she does but otherwise we say it like it should be.
Count yourself in the better pronunciation club then. As far as the R's, I'm a country boy too but I learned the lingo young. The fact that I can facilitate the peccadilloes of the language while some other family members can't has contributed to some lively beer-fueled discord.

Latest posts