Zebu Genetics

Help Support CattleToday:

J. T.

Reaction score
Maybe some of the Brahman people can answer this question. How genetically different are the Zebu cattle from each other? You have the Brahman, Nellore, Indu-Brazil, Gyr, Guzzerat and so on. I know that they're considered different breeds but what is the difference in using one type of Bos indicus cattle over another? Phenotypically they are so similar, at least to my untrained eye, that I wonder if you used a Brahman bull on British cows would you get different results by using a Nellore or one of the other breeds?

I really can't answer this withh great authrity but will tey to help. I think "Brahman" cattle is a three way cross of the Gyr, Nellor and Guzerat. Brahman X British cross cattle are very popular with some people. Especially down in the south. I have seen some tigerstripe cows back to Angus bulls bring good money. Some say cros them to Charolaise but I don't like them as well.

Scotty

Even though technically the same breed, there are some differences that I've noticed in the ones I've seen over the years.

Zebu cattle are more fine boned than the American Gray Brahman.

Indu Brazil have a noticable difference in their heads.. they are wider browed and longer faced, and tend to have shorter, stockier bodies.

Gyr's are generally speckled cows, or the old foundation bloodlines were. I still have a few in my herd. They also have wider heads, and are not as wide backed as the American Grays.. they also have more slope in the hooks to pins. I will say they have the best teats and feet I've seen on Brahman cattle (as a whole)

Guzerat I'm not as familiar with.. I believe they were the foundation for the Red Brahman, but I've never seen one.

Nelore are the most similar in characteristics. There used to be a breeder here in Texas, but I never did see any discernable difference in his cattle compared to American Grays.

Actually, the American Gray Brahman was a composite before composites became popular. Four breeds -Guzerat, Nellore, Gyr and to a lesser extent Krishna Valley were used and blended to get the desired characteristics. Guzerat are gray in color as are Nellore. Gyr are red. The Krishna Valley cattle were gray in color and large framed.

Spot on BC.
Red Brahmans here in Australia were mainly based on Red Sindhi and Sahiwal. The backbone of Australian Brahmans was the Cherokee stud started by Lionel Delandelles a master breeder of Brahmans,he had the skill to know what bull would click with any type of female. He had a number of daughter studs that could just phone him and he would send a sire to fit their needs. These skills were about a long time before breedplan and EBVs etc.
Colin

As an aside to this topic, I work in Southern Chad (28 days on / 28 days off). The most popular cattle in this region is a crossbreed mostly made up of West African Zebu. I can attest to the hardiness of this breed. In this part of Chad the cattle are herded across open range from place to place by children usually no more than 8 or 10 years old. This tells you how docile they are. Temperatures here routinely reach 120 degrees, and it does not rain a drop from the end of Oct to June. The cows eat whatever brush, weeds, or leaves they can find, drink stagnant water when they can find it, put up with the most god-awful mosquitoes you've ever seen, never get vaccinated, wormed, supplemented, or see a vet. And they keep on going. These cows are unbelievable!

CJ

Bullred, I thought maybe that was your line of work. They did list diamond and gold mining too. Let's not forget the brewery.
I read where the life span of the men there is only 39.21 years of age. For women it is 42.86 years. It shows so many different diseases there. It says the risk is very high and the diseases that are food or waterborne diseases are: bacterial diarrhea, hepatitis A, and typhoid fever.
vectorborne disease: malaria
respiratory disease: meningococcal meningitis
I bet your hiney looks like a pin cushion after all the shots you have to take.
Do you see a lot of these problems from where you are?
I bet the country is interesting though. You are a brave soul to go.

Chuckie,

I have about 600 Chadian employees working for me, so I see all those diseases, and more. Most contributed to by mal-nutrition. However, AIDS is becoming more and more prevelant. It is already the number one cause of death in Africa. They estimate that 26 million people are infected with the disease in sub-saharan Africa. Some say it will reduce the population by 50% in Africa in the next 20 years. The sad part is it is completely preventable!

I have taken all the available immunizations for the various preventable diseases, and take anti-malaria medication daily. Malaria is the biggest risk here for the expats. The health concerns weigh on your mind, but I'm not exactlly doing this for free! The missionaries, and various aid workers that come over here as volunteers are the ones that deserve respect and admiration.

I've been in Africa for over four years now, and it is truly an amazing place!

CJ

The Guzerat was the most important breed in the formation of the American Brahman.

Three principal strains or varieties were brought to the United States and used in the development of the Brahman breed are the Guzerat, the Nellore, and Gir. In addition, the Krishna Valley strain was introduced and used to a lesser extent. The general similarity of the Guzert strain to the cattle selected and developed in this country would indicate that cattlemen working with the breed have generally preferred this type.

With all the preventive medicines, do people still catch the diseases or does it pretty much eliminate the possibility?
I had a feeling that you weren't doing it for free! :D I think you must earn what ever you make there with all the added dangers that go along with the work.
I read where AIDS was taking over. That is such a shame.
When you say they are mal-nourished, do they not eat beef? Or are the cattle sacred there?

Latest posts