Miniature Zebu and chickens

Help Support CattleToday:

coaklnic000

Reaction score
Hi I was wondering would a miniature zebu bull protect chickens from Fox's and other predators in TN. Thanks

Son of Butch said:
Yes, but bulls can be hard on chicken coops.... especially if they sleep in 'em. :)

No joke I had a longhorn/Brahma cross cow get into my hen house it was fun getting her out a door Little over 2 ft wide she tried tearing the walls down in it

coaklnic000 said:
Hi I was wondering would a miniature zebu bull protect chickens from Fox's and other predators in TN. Thanks
if the chickens are right there with him...he'll dang sure protect himself first, everything else is a bonus...

No. My neighbor had some that would roam into our pasture. The chicken hawks would feast and the Brahman cattle didn't even notice.

A dog would be your best sentry.

Get the right dog. We had a couple dogs that were worse on chickens than the foxes.

5S Cattle said:
Guard bulls huh? This site sure does get some funny questions :pop:

Guard bulls are really not new. There was a farmer where I grew up, he had one of the best large mouth bass ponds in the county. Me and my older brother and several other kids our age would hike 3 miles from the house to use surface plugs to catch bass. It was a thrill to watch those 3 and 4 pound bass knock the crap out of a diving mouse or a hula popper. We almost always released them. The old man got tired of running kids off so he put a bunch of cows in the pasture. With those cows was a big framey, flea bag of a bull that was nasty. My brother and I crawled over the fence. We noticed there were cows in a locust thicket that ran down to the pond. We barely got started through the thicket when we walked right into that onery bull. He was laying in the dirt. When he got up, it didn't take a second to see this was not like our old Hereford bull. We ran for the fence. The word got out that you better not fish in old man Cordary's pond. I think the old man had a lot to do with advertising how bad his bull was.

I can understand the confusion. The internet is full of videos about animal buddies.

ALACOWMAN said:
5S Cattle said:
Guard bulls huh? This site sure does get some funny questions :pop:
I'd rather ask em here, than down at the feed store.. :cowboy:

The **** that comes out of some people's mouths lol. Sometimes I sit in there on a hot afternoon and soak up the ac and just laugh to myself

Latest posts