Sustainable Genetics

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
Has anyone used or know of anyone using stock from here? Their cattle and program look like the kind I like and want.

Bill and Dan are both good guys and there are some interesting lines that they use. I will probably get around to using Pinebank 41/97 at some point. What breed and lines are you looking into?

artesianspringsfarm said:
Bill and Dan are both good guys and there are some interesting lines that they use. I will probably get around to using Pinebank 41/97 at some point. What breed and lines are you looking into?
BTF 037 M178 in RA and btf dph plato 4013 and Edisto 810 excel plato u336. All are listed as highly tolerant of infected fescue, and I'm in fescue country. I'd like to make nice baldy replacements for myself first and possibly sell what's left.

41/97 looks like a tank and is proven. That's what I like about this program, lots of proven cattle.

Were you the one with the Wye bull?

Howdy BFE-

I'm one of the partners in Sustainable Genetics. My mentor Bill Hodge has been at it for a bit longer, but I've been breeding cattle for reproductive longevity in the SE for the past 10 years. I've seen M178 daughters in fescue country and they were thriving. I owned 4013 at the end of his career and absolutely love my daughters, but I'm below the fescue belt. Of course those Herefords bloodlines (U336 and 4013) were bred and selected for fescue tolerance. I'd say you get a tick more growth with U336 than 4013.

I have a few animals left from our partnership with Pinebank (we raised ET calves here for the past few years) and have personal experience with quite a few bulls in our lineup. Feel free to PM with any particular questions. My phone number is on our website.

dg

BFE said:
artesianspringsfarm said:
BTF 037 M178 in RA and btf dph plato 4013 and Edisto 810 excel plato u336. All are listed as highly tolerant of infected fescue, and I'm in fescue country. I'd like to make nice baldy replacements for myself first and possibly sell what's left.

41/97 looks like a tank and is proven. That's what I like about this program, lots of proven cattle.

Were you the one with the Wye bull?

Not sure if I'm THE one, but I do own a nice Wye bull as well as a nice bull from Oliver Angus that is Wye bred. I brought that bull up from fescue land to lake effect snow land this winter and he's done remarkably well.

Latest posts