Contracts - genetics

Help Support CattleToday:

lms0229

Reaction score
Okay, so I need advice or insight on common cattle contracts or how to structure deals with other reputable breeders. I have a couple of heifers that people really want but I need to retain their genetics to move my project forward. Is there a way to structure it where they can be a co-owner and how does that work? If the cow that is co-owned produces an outstanding bull calf from which semen later is drawn and sold who collects the money? Who takes care of the cow and ensures matings and who decides those matings? I don't want to sell them out right because I know how valuable they are and I still need them to progress my herd. Thanks

I have only seen it with a bull but if you sell 50% interest and possession of the heifers but word it so that any ET flushes you do you get 50% of any embryos they collect.

If you are not able to do ET then you can specify that you get full possession of every other calf and you would arrange for that calf's breeding also. I would add something in there so that if a calf from your year doesn't make it to weaning that you get the next live calf.

With a registered bull you can specify on there that you retain collection rights on the registration and maintain 50% ownership and they get possession. Hard with a bull because not all of them will collect.

What do you have that makes them so valuable and that everyone wants them? I think Gizmon has one of her SAV cows in partnership with others so she might be able to tell you how they deal with it.

Ken

TwoByrdsMG - thank you that helps a lot! I really like your idea on obtaining every other calf. I just haven't been here before and want to be reasonable and fair to the gentleman, so I appreciate your insight.

Wbvs58 - I started a project serval years ago on developing a breed for my environment. There were particular aspects of some breeds I really liked but would lack in certain areas... I was finding myself saying "she would be perfect if..." and it became frustrating. Also, there are several breeds I love. Haha. So I went on an extensive search for very specific genetics. I started putting the cattle in various conditions to judge performance and I cull incredibly heavy. I don't expect my cattle to be for everyone as I never intended them to be more than for me, but they have gotten some interest I guess. This one particular heifer was 68# at birth born at 278 days of gestation and started cycling at 10 months old and her half sister at 7 months old. She is 3/4 Bos Taurus and 1/4 Bos Indicus. She slicks off incredibly early at first signs of warm weather and gains a very thick and long winter coat. Very high quality milk components produced from poor quality forages. She has oxen blood so her hooves are incredibly hard with strong legs. She lacks chest depth but it could be a positive for calving ease because of tubular structure. Fly and tick resistant etc.... I want to pair her with a bull with more thickness and depth but from a maternal standpoint she is really good I think. Long explanation but I hope that helps?

Any other tips or advice?

littletom said:
What will you call your new breed? What was weaning weight?

Lol I have no clue what to name them! Haha! I won't have the first "fullblood" to release publicly for another 3 years, so I have some time to figure it out I guess. That heifer there isn't a fullblood but her 205 weaning weight was 571#. Not sure if that is good or not but she was never creep fed and survived the worst drought in Texas so I am calling it a win.

Again not a fullblood but this heifer is 4 1/2 months old. Idk her weight but she is one of the other heifers a couple have been interested in.

At this point and time it sounds like you will be giving up to much if you see them. The profit sounds nice but you need to continue to move your genetics forward. I would not sell in your position. However I would ask the potential buyers if they would be interested in a percentage of embryo interest. Say anywhere from 50-33%. That means you would have to do a fair amount of flushing, and maybe that isn't your thing.

That is my plan with 2 heifers of mine that have garnered a fair amount of attention, but I just can't take the hit to my genetic base if I sell them......right now.

Latest posts