YOUTUBE video - new breed called AUBRAC

Help Support CattleToday:

This is information from our brochure:

French government research confirms that the Aubrac breed ranks first in calving ease, first in age at first calving, first in calving interval, first in longevity of all the French breeds.
It is common to see 20-year-old Aubrac cows still producing a calf each year.
The average birth weight for French Aubracs is 86 pounds for bulls and 79 pounds for heifers.
Aubrac cattle will typically measure a frame 5 or 6. Mature bulls range from 1800 to 2,200 pounds. And cows typically weigh 1150 to 1350 pounds. French and American producers consistently wean 600-plus pound calves.
France's Aubrac all-forage-based bull test, which pulls together the top bull calves in the breed, clearly demonstrates the grass efficiencies of these cattle.
Bulls entered into this test average about 750 pounds at 269 days of age. During the test the bulls receive grass hay with protein, mineral and vitamin supplementation, but no grain.
These bulls will consistently weigh 1000 pounds at 365 days of age, and the average weight at the end of the test is over 1,100 pounds. The top bulls from this test are the only bulls that are qualified to be used through artificial insemination.

Best,

aubracusa

Couldn't help but notice the complementarity of Charolais with Aubracs.

From the French Aubrac website:

"The Charolais-Aubrac crossbreeds represent close to 60% of the cattle produced in Aubrac stables. In the registered stations this cross breeding is also practiced regularly.

This constitutes an incomparable advantage for the Aubrac breed, because this type of cross breeding allows for a better exploitation of the less excellent cows whose products are not apt for reproduction. In the registered stations, this percentage varies slightly according to the year.

Since the 1998 campaign, approximately 25% of the registered cattle are crossbred with Charolais. Before 1996 this percentage was greater than 30% and had decreased to close to 20% in 1996 and 1997."

"A complete selection plan
The selection program is based on a combination between beef production criteria (growth, build) and maternal aptitude (reproduction, nursing). The goal is to produce both cows who will be "calf moulds", well appreciated for the final crossbreeding with Charolais, and pure offspring sought by Feed yards (weaned 18-month-old yearlings) and packing plants (calves and adult cows)."

I'm glad you point that out, Mike.

Even with the use of French Charolais bulls (I'm sure you've seen photos of these extremely muscled animals), the French Aubracs still achieve the highest level of calving ease of all French beef breeds. Virtually all of these Aubrac X Charolais progeny are slaughtered at about 22 months of age because once the Charolais genetics are introduced they lack important production attributes (such as fertility) and wouldn't survive under the rigorous production environment of the mountains.

Thanks again,

aubracusa

Aubracusa":yp43790s said:
I'm glad you point that out, Mike.

Even with the use of French Charolais bulls (I'm sure you've seen photos of these extremely muscled animals), the French Aubracs still achieve the highest level of calving ease of all French beef breeds. Virtually all of these Aubrac X Charolais progeny are slaughtered at about 22 months of age because once the Charolais genetics are introduced they lack important production attributes (such as fertility) and wouldn't survive under the rigorous production environment of the mountains.

Thanks again,

aubracusa

You're quite welcome. One question. Why would they risk the crossing of the Chars (those extremely muscled animals) with the Aubracs if the Aubracs were as meaty as we have been led to believe?

Hi, Mike --

The answer is simple: Because European meat cutters want carcasses that are as muscular as they can get them, so the quickest way for Aubrac breeders -- who concentrate on a balance of muscle, maternal efficiency and structural soundness -- is to breed some of their animals to heavily muscled, terminal Charolais bulls. It's a practice used on many of France's maternal breeds because Charolais cattle are considered the leading terminal genetic breed among cattle producers there.

Yes, Aubracs are well muscled, but not nearly as extremely muscled as French Charolais.

Thanks,

Aubracusa

I have been reading these posts on the Aubrac's for the past few hours today, and have been struck with a remarkable bit of evidence! I have noticed this tendency on the part of a few members of the CattleToday Forum in particular - and it rears it's ugly head more frequently lately than several months ago. I have given a lot of thought to it, and have decided that the problem is a combination of jealously, envy, pettyness, contentiousness, and just a desire to be argumentative - just for the he!! of it! It reminds me of the assinine, insulting exercise the nation is experiencing right now with these stupid, childish, contemptible, despicable and senseless so-called "Political Debates"!

It is a strange state of affairs when three or four breeders (whether they are what one would call "successful" or not in their particular business) are so bent on sarcastically criticizing another man's choice of beef cattle to raise, and even lurching into indignity and contempt for the cattle themselves! This kind of rhetoric is beyond juvenility!

I say - don't practice condemnation before investigation. . . . and that means being polite and considerate when questioning the subject matter.

Some posters on here act like a bunch of spoiled brats who need to be paddled and sent to bed without their sugar tits!

DOC HARRIS

Take a hike Doc.

When one starts throwing terms out like;

"Unsurpassed Forage Efficiency" and such without documents to back it up, they are opening themselves up for debate.

Now if the terminology used was that they are "equal" or as good as other cattle, I personally would have no problems with the sales pitches announced here.

I don't fall for the hype of many different Breed Associations that tend to "stretch the truth" from time to time.

Aubracusa offered me some semen on the telephone about a year ago during a conversation so that I could see for myself what these Aubracs are all about.

Haven't heard from him since. :p

The free semen will ship to you tomorrow, Mike.

We will cover the costs of the shipping, and the 15 straws are free of charge.

Drop me a note when you receive it later in the week.

Thanks again for your interest in the cattle,

Best regards,

Aubracusa

MikeC":1rhpau2d said:
Take a hike Doc.

"Unsurpassed Forage Efficiency" and such without documents to back it up, they are opening themselves up for debate.

Now if the terminology used was that they are "equal" or as good as other cattle, I personally would have no problems with the sales pitches announced here.

I don't fall for the hype of many different Breed Associations that tend to "stretch the truth" from time to time.

Aubracusa offered me some semen on the telephone about a year ago during a conversation so that I could see for myself what these Aubracs are all about.

Mike, first of all I dont think the original poster was trying to make a sale pitch to anyone, he was just asking what we thought of the breed. Have you not visited any of the links offered here? "Unsurpassed Forage Efficiency" is stait from the links, so I dont think anyone is is making anything up about this breed. I know I dont have any say so, as a beginner, but maybe you should listen to someone like DOC HARRIS. It might do you good.

i think one of the dem's said it best last night...

"I've seen hostage negotiations that were more civil"

:lol:

Hello from Montana,

Just a comment to MikeC...Great question. First of all, the Char. I have seen in France do not resemble the good Char. of this country(or at least there design is different). Extreme in there muscle, it would appear that is the only selection criteria, and that selection is market driven.

In the Department of Cantal, the region I visited, they have both Salers and Aubrac females. Almost all Salers females had Char.x calves, most every Aubrac had a fullblood calf(this was not the case 5 years ago). The information I was provided with from the department of Cantal showed that the Aubrac Beef Label demanded a higher price than any other brand, keep in mind all breeds have a branded product. This information also shows the while the number of cows in the region has remained constant the last 10 years the Aubrac has increased 500% or 5x. Many Aubrac breeders would rather see a higher level of crossbreeding and a slower growth. Not every Department has seen this kind of growth, but expansion of the Aubrac cow herd in France is underway to say the least.

The Aubrac breed has the highest level of young people returning to the farm, and the new generation learns from the old. They try very hard not to change, but stay the same. Enforcing there successful, simple breed standard, "one calf, per cow, per year". Here is a quote from Union Aubrac president Michel BOS, "I like to compare my feelings about the profession of breeding cattle to what I would say about being on a football team. That is, I'd rather be an average player on a winning team than a star player on a losing one. I want to advance the breed as a whole, for the Aubrac and for the breeders, here. That is why we created Union Aubrac, to move forward together".

So the opportunity with the Aubrac breed here is not "new breed" or "best breed" it is a group of us with integrity moving forward together, with a goal in mind, and a simple breed standard.....Grass Fed Greatness!

Crystalized":3bfoi2t9 said:
Hello from Montana,

Just a comment to MikeC...Great question. First of all, the Char. I have seen in France do not resemble the good Char. of this country(or at least there design is different). Extreme in there muscle, it would appear that is the only selection criteria, and that selection is market driven.

In the Department of Cantal, the region I visited, they have both Salers and Aubrac females. Almost all Salers females had Char.x calves, most every Aubrac had a fullblood calf(this was not the case 5 years ago). The information I was provided with from the department of Cantal showed that the Aubrac Beef Label demanded a higher price than any other brand, keep in mind all breeds have a branded product. This information also shows the while the number of cows in the region has remained constant the last 10 years the Aubrac has increased 500% or 5x. Many Aubrac breeders would rather see a higher level of crossbreeding and a slower growth. Not every Department has seen this kind of growth, but expansion of the Aubrac cow herd in France is underway to say the least.

The Aubrac breed has the highest level of young people returning to the farm, and the new generation learns from the old. They try very hard not to change, but stay the same. Enforcing there successful, simple breed standard, "one calf, per cow, per year". Here is a quote from Union Aubrac president Michel BOS, "I like to compare my feelings about the profession of breeding cattle to what I would say about being on a football team.
  • >That is, I'd rather be an average player on a winning team than a star player on a losing one.<
I want to advance the breed as a whole, for the Aubrac and for the breeders, here. That is why we created Union Aubrac, to move forward together".

So the opportunity with the Aubrac breed here is not "new breed" or "best breed" it is a group of us with integrity moving forward together, with a goal in mind, and a simple breed standard.....Grass Fed Greatness!
thats a great statement. make's more sense than any ive read so far.

Angus/Brangus":4gio6ix1 said:
Or maybe for less than 25 "cents", we could look up words in the dictionary. :shock:

I like the looks of the Aubrac but why cross it with a heavy BW breed like Charolais? It would seem to be that the BW problems would outweight the extra muscling produced.

You have to remember that the europeon market is strictly red meat driven.

MikeC":x6skr1q5 said:
Take a hike Doc.

Funny thing is: Doc Harris DID NOT mention any names.

Hey Doc when you get back from your hike, come by and cast a few more Pearls before Swine if you have the time. LOL

Hi MikeC

Want to see Aubracs in give me a call. No sales pitch you decide. Double O Six is on my place in Fort Payne. I have composite breed by him and purebreed Chars. They start hitting the ground in two months.

If your in the south (Alabama) come see Aubrac for yourself. No talk just look! Just let me know when you want to visit! Located in the Notheast coner of Alabama.

bamaaubrac":39kl311i said:
Hi MikeC

Want to see Aubracs in give me a call. No sales pitch you decide. Double O Six is on my place in Fort Payne. I have composite breed by him and purebreed Chars. They start hitting the ground in two months.

I would love to nextime I'm up that way. Looking forward to it.

They look liek a cross betweena brown swiss a jersey and limousin they are to tan for me more of a black kind of guy. I bet an angus a herford or most any other breedcould do it also if they were fed during the time period also. Just my 2cents though.

iowafarmer":1o4qba61 said:
They look liek a cross betweena brown swiss a jersey and limousin they are to tan for me more of a black kind of guy. I bet an angus a herford or most any other breedcould do it also if they were fed during the time period also. Just my 2cents though.
iowa farmer-

You have come late to the dance! There has been an extensive discussion on the Aubrac's last year. It might be interesting for you to do some research on the "Aubracusa posts", and understand the fundamentals and background of the breed.

DOC HARRIS

Latest posts