YOUTUBE video - new breed called AUBRAC

Help Support CattleToday:

SixMile":1djx8vi5 said:
I have never come across a brown swiss, jersey, or braunvieh with that much depth of body and pure performance

Can that "performance" be measured, or is it still by visual appraisal? :lol:

Come on guys. Those were some real purty fat cows. I could look at them all day. I'm not even a bull, and they sure looked good to me...

That aubrac bull in the CT photo gallery is a beautiful chunk of beef.

Roadapple":1bqpsjr4 said:
www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle states they were crossed with Brown Swiss.
Well atleast I was half right I had the swiss guessed. I still see way to much jersey ear and head for there not to be some jersey blood somewhere in that animal.

somn":1sa350wq said:
Roadapple":1sa350wq said:
www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle states they were crossed with Brown Swiss.
Well atleast I was half right I had the swiss guessed. I still see way to much jersey ear and head for there not to be some jersey blood somewhere in that animal.
I guess the germans imported jerseys from the US bred them with brown swiss and are now sending them back. :roll:
Jerseys were born bred and developed in New Jersey.

novatech":2vs0jsj0 said:
I guess the germans imported jerseys from the US bred them with brown swiss and are now sending them back. :roll:

Try they were developed on the Isle of Jersey, Enhland

dun":25r7hulg said:
novatech":25r7hulg said:

Try they were developed on the Isle of Jersey, Enhland
Must of had a brain fart.
Jersey cattle originate from Jersey the largest Island in the Channel Islands and just some 14 miles away from the French coast.

Hello, everyone --

Aubracs are not a derivative of Brown Swiss or Jerseys; the information on the Oklahoma State website is incorrect. We've asked them to correct that information on a couple of occasions, but they haven't made the change yet. Aubracs come from a mountainous region of southcentral France where they have been developed for grass-fed beef production. Cattle producers there have developed two highly successful grass-fed beef programs using grass-fed Aubrac beef during the last 20 years.

Scott Fredrickson posted the video on Youtube.com so that people who've asked about the cattle could see them easily online. I think the take-home message of the video is that viewers can see first hand the structural soundness of the breed, the good feet and legs, the depth of rib and deep guts as well as the sexual differentiation between Aubrac bulls and females. Notice, too, some of the frozen ears, an indication that these cattle aren't pampered but raised on tough rangeland in eastern Montana.

If you can't appreciate the cattle, then maybe you shouldn't be in the cow business.

During the last year we have conducted two separate roughage bull tests in Nebraska (the second one is underway right now). The purpose of the test is not to see which bull has the biggest appetite (a mistake many people make when defining efficiency) or to see which bull grows the fastest (a second mistake people make when defining efficiency), but rather to put a relatively large number of bulls from a wide array of breeders into a similar management situation and to see which ones develop into the balanced animals (structural and reproductive soundness, carcass merit. etc.) that are best suited for our production system. Our ultimate objective in using the breed (which many of us have been using for nearly two decades) is not rapid expansion within the commercial cattle industry, but to develop a tightly knit group of breeders who understand the production and product-quality attributes of the breed as a way of marketing forage-based beef products directly to consumers. As time goes on, we hope to invest in new technologies that will allow us to measure the residual feed intake (RFI) of individual Aubrac cattle, so we can more effectively zero in on those cattle that gain well but don't eat much, and hope to have that information available at our annual national sale sometime in the future.

In addition, we recently acquired DNA information for feed efficiency on 41 head of fullblood (100%) Aubrac cattle using the Bovigen GeneStar test. A ranking of 1 star is least efficient while the highest ranking (most efficient) is 8 stars. The average score for all 41 head was 6.1 stars. Thirteen head had either seven or eight stars. On a smaller sample of four Aubrac bulls tested last fall, one rated 8 stars, two rated 7 stars and one rated four stars. The lowest scoring bull was a percentage bull, not a fullblood.

My understanding of the test is that a score of 7 or 8 places your cattle in pretty elite company. You can read more on Bovigen's website.

A disclaimer: I realize fully the pitfalls of these DNA tests, and understand that much more needs to be learned about the genetics of cattle before we can make absolute claims about the genetic merits of specific animals (too many times on this site people use dna tests as marketing tools not as genetic improvement tools). But the test results so far do support our ongoing assertion that the breed has desirable genetics to improve the efficiency of your cow herd.

Best regards,

Aubracusa

They look alot like a Limousin or a Tarentaise to me. My experience with both these breeds is that they have some temperament issues. That said, I've been toying with the idea of heading down to Nebraska for the Aubrac bull sale in spring just to see what the kerfuffle is. I try to stay open minded on these things, but it seems that no matter what breed site you look at, they have the best cattle because of.....whatever. So, I take those claims with a grain of salt. Anyway, I would be curious to see any data they have on how well they cross with a Black Angus herd.

somn":tv484a55 said:
To me they look like nothing more than a jersey swiss cross. They have some swiss color markings and the jersey head and ears. Hope it works for them. Atleast they ain't black yet.

you did see the animals... right?

ever seen dairy animals** look like this?

Max_4_ezr.JPG
Bruce_ezr.JPG

Traffic_Jam_small_ezr.JPG
My_aubracs_8-5_009_ezr.jpg
1L-side.jpg

and i as far as i am concerned, my Aubracs will always be brown. ;-)

**corrected from "cows" thanks to hillsdown :p

Cattle Rack Rancher":s4ome8iy said:
They look alot like a Limousin or a Tarentaise to me.
**see my above post** if you think they look like tarentaise or limos, you dont know what tarentaise or limos look like.

That said, I've been toying with the idea of heading down to Nebraska for the Aubrac bull sale in spring just to see what the kerfuffle is.
one year ago i was in the same boat. i had been looking for the right continental breed for my Angus-continental cross and some guy i didnt know very well wanted me to drive 8 hours (through a blizzard I might add :p ) to a sale for some animals i had never heard of. after the sale, i knew i had found what i was looking for. since the sale last year I have started my Aubrac herd and could not be happier with them.

Aero":wwvrxev1 said:
somn":wwvrxev1 said:
To me they look like nothing more than a jersey swiss cross. They have some swiss color markings and the jersey head and ears. Hope it works for them. Atleast they ain't black yet.

Max_4_ezr.JPG
Bruce_ezr.JPG

1L-side.jpg

Well you know I think I've watched that video 50 times now. You can correct me if I'm wrong but I know those 4 mature bulls and that bull calf are no where in that video. You and I must get different videos when we click on the video link.

Aero":1xpxet9p said:
somn":1xpxet9p said:

Max_4_ezr.JPG
Bruce_ezr.JPG

1L-side.jpg

You must have different looking Tarentaise and Limos where you come from because that bull looks very similar to my brother's Tarentaise bull and that calf looks like alot of the Limo calves I've seen.

http://cattle-today.com/Tarentaise.htm
http://cattle-today.com/Limousin.htm

Cattle Rack Rancher":3px3r9qu said:
You must have different looking Tarentaise and Limos where you come from because that bull looks very similar to my brother's Tarentaise bull and that calf looks like alot of the Limo calves I've seen.

Tarentaise are dark red with some black markings on the face and a little hormonal black on the bulls' shoulders. The females are normally have some dairy characteristics and arent that beefy. I havent seen enough males in person to know about their thickness, but it would surprise me if they were nearly as thick as the average Aubrac. the pictures below are from Ankenman and they have the best looking Tarentaise I have found. Kit Pharo has some that look much more dairy-ish. these animals dont have a reputation for bad dispositions.
patriotpirate_500.jpg
l190h_92306.jpg

Limos are light red to dark red with no black markings and are very fine boned animals with lots of muscle hanging off of their quarter. from the animals i have seen the cows are sometimes deep but the bulls rarely are. they are usually barrels of muscle. these animals as a breed have had temperament and scrotal/fertility/sexual maturity problems and across the board do not grade (QG) well. (FYI: a black limo is not a limo)
coachhouse_agreeable.jpg
LimousinBull.jpg
LimousinCowCalf.jpg

Aubracs are brown and they change colors through the year: light brown in the summer and dark brown in the winter. Almost all Aubracs have a white ring around their nose. males develop a hormonal black from their face, down their neck, under their bellies and up their quarter. females only have black tips (nose, ears, feet and tail tip). Aubracs have a much different hip structure than Braunvieh and as a group/breed have terrific udders, feet and legs. They are moderate framed and usually have a ton of rib. I havent seen or heard of any temperament problems.
Copy_of_DCP2337_015.jpg

shoshone1.JPG

novatech":drqsczcz said:
You can bet your last dollar somebody will be trying to turn them black. :roll:

it's already been done. I think it's bad for the breed but we dont all have to agree. 8)

You having to pull many calves? Their conformation looks similar to Romagnola to me, but I'm a rookie...

Latest posts