Your thoughts?

Help Support CattleToday:

Keren

Reaction score
My little patch of earth, Perth, WA, Australia
I have a sick maiden doe (think of her as a heifer)

She was bred approximately two months ago, synched by CIDR but natural mating. She didnt return to oestrous so I marked her as bred.

Couple of days ago she appeared to abort with a fair bit of mucus resembling normal oestrous discharge. No behaviour to indicate oestrous though.

Yesterday I put another CIDR in her for two reasons. I have used CIDRs on cows which are prone to abort, to help sustain the pregnancy. So I figured if she is still pregnant it wont hurt. And then I figure if she isnt pregnant well I can synch her and breed her again.

Anyway, today she is not looking real well. Didnt eat, is walking around but feeling sorry for herself. I thought the CIDR might be irritating her so took it out, but no response (I have had them irritate maidens before, and there is immediate relief).

Bit of amber coloured discharge after taking out the CIDR.

So I can only think two things - either the CIDR has hurt her during application (although it went in fairly easy), or she had an infection or something that caused the abortion, and which has been stirred up by the insertion of the CIDR?? Is this feasible? I dont know. I'd like your thoughts on this.

I'm off to uni, so I will have to see how she is doing this afternoon.

EDIT just to say I've never had any problems with CIDR use before, so I'm stumped. Unless this is totally unrelated to the CIDR but you'd think that would be too much of a coincidence.

Latest posts