Trust your gut!

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I've been watching a 5 month old steer the past couple of days. No droopy ears, no snotty nose, no drooling or runny eyes, no heavy or labored breathing, nursing, grazing & will eat cubes. No limping or obvious signs of swelling anywhere. Except he's been on the fringe of the herd, his mama never too far. Red flag - that's not his normal behavior.

Went out this morning and once again they're lagging but as luck would have it, about 50 yards from the corral. Got him in, primarily to take his temp and really check him out; temp was 103. Game on! Not scary high but clearly something's going on and most likely early pneumonia. Couldn't find anything else wrong and hit him with Resflor Gold.

So the moral of the story is to trust your gut. Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees and cattle are masters of disguise - survival instinct; never let a potential predator know you're weak.

That said, he's already had 2 rounds of respiratory but vaccinations are no guarantee.

TCRanch said:
I've been watching a 5 month old steer the past couple of days. No droopy ears, no snotty nose, no drooling or runny eyes, no heavy or labored breathing, nursing, grazing & will eat cubes. No limping or obvious signs of swelling anywhere. Except he's been on the fringe of the herd, his mama never too far. Red flag - that's not his normal behavior.

Went out this morning and once again they're lagging but as luck would have it, about 50 yards from the corral. Got him in, primarily to take his temp and really check him out; temp was 103. Game on! Not scary high but clearly something's going on and most likely early pneumonia. Couldn't find anything else wrong and hit him with Resflor Gold.

So the moral of the story is to trust your gut. Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees and cattle are masters of disguise - survival instinct; never let a potential predator know you're weak.

That said, he's already had 2 rounds of respiratory but vaccinations are no guarantee.

Hope it works out. Sounds like you caught it early enough.

5S Cattle said:
I've brought calves back from the dead with resflor. Good job catching it early

Thanks! I have a love/hate with Resflor. It's soooo dang thick and 6cc per 100 lbs but it almost always works. I had a weaned heifer last year that was flat out, as in, I wasn't even sure I could get her in the chute & was contemplating how I'd work her in the pasture. But I did get her in and the results were amazing. My back-up is Baytril or Draxxin with Banamine.

TCRanch said:
5S Cattle said:
I've brought calves back from the dead with resflor. Good job catching it early

Thanks! I have a love/hate with Resflor. It's soooo dang thick and 6cc per 100 lbs but it almost always works. I had a weaned heifer last year that was flat out, as in, I wasn't even sure I could get her in the chute & was contemplating how I'd work her in the pasture. But I did get her in and the results were amazing. My back-up is Baytril or Draxxin with Banamine.

The only thing I have used is Nuflor. I don't think the Resflor was out. Cow was bad sick. She was staggering, head drooping, nose was nasty. Called the cows so the would have to walk by the corral and she was coming way behind. Ran her in when she got close and put her in the alley and didn't head gate her. She stood there while I gave her all that medicine. Took forever it seemed. Well the next round was a different story. She was full of life and put up a fight. It works

Good catch. After two rounds of antibiotic has his fever broke?
I still like Nuflor and Bannamine over Resflor. That way I can IV the Bannamine.

SBMF 2015 said:
I still like Nuflor and Bannamine over Resflor. That way I can IV the Bannamine.

Heading out shortly to check him. By two rounds of respiratory I meant vaccines: Inforce 3 day 1 when I tagged him and gave a First Defense and Triangle 4+PH-K at appx. 3 months.

Knowing your cattle and how they act is important. You'll know when something is wrong when they just don't act right, especially if their out on pasture and not easy to catch and take temperatures. We're always on the lookout for a "dopey" calf or a standoff cow.

TCRanch said:
SBMF 2015 said:

Heading out shortly to check him. By two rounds of respiratory I meant vaccines: Inforce 3 day 1 when I tagged him and gave a First Defense and Triangle 4+PH-K at appx. 3 months.

Ah ha, now I'm following.
I know what the triangle 4+ph is, what is the K part?

SBMF 2015 said:
TCRanch said:
SBMF 2015 said:

I got nuthin'. But recommended by my vet and I've used it for years. Here's a copy/paste from drugs.com - with too much info:

Triangle 4 + PH-K Indications

For vaccination of healthy cattle as an aid in the prevention of disease caused by bovine virus diarrhea (BVD) type 1, parainfluenza 3 (PI3), and bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV); as an aid in the reduction of clinical disease due to infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR), and the severity of pneumonic pasteurellosis caused by Mannheimia haemolytica.
Composition
Contains inactivated IBR, BVD type 1, PI3, and BRSV viruses, and M. haemolytica. Immune-Guard® inactivant is used to kill viral components. The vaccine contains a dual adjuvant system to stimulate immunity. Preservatives: neomycin, polymyxin B, and thimerosal.

TCRanch said:
SBMF 2015 said:
TCRanch said:

I got nuthin'. But recommended by my vet and I've used it for years. Here's a copy/paste from drugs.com - with too much info:

Triangle 4 + PH-K Indications

For vaccination of healthy cattle as an aid in the prevention of disease caused by bovine virus diarrhea (BVD) type 1, parainfluenza 3 (PI3), and bovine respiratory syncytial virus (BRSV); as an aid in the reduction of clinical disease due to infectious bovine rhinotracheitis (IBR), and the severity of pneumonic pasteurellosis caused by Mannheimia haemolytica.
Composition
Contains inactivated IBR, BVD type 1, PI3, and BRSV viruses, and M. haemolytica. Immune-Guard® inactivant is used to kill viral components. The vaccine contains a dual adjuvant system to stimulate immunity. Preservatives: neomycin, polymyxin B, and thimerosal.

I read it and I'm not sure either. Lol.
About three years ago I started using Once PMH IN as part of my spring turn out vaccination program. It has made a big difference in my summer pneumonia problems.

couple years ago we went from 100F temps to cold rain and 50F temps, and then hot again.. I had 4 cows get pneumonia at once, one was in really bad shape.. took a week of tubing her 4 gallons of water/electrolytes 3x a day, resflor and dex (or maybe it was nuflor), and she finally came out of it. I shipped her 2 months later, she wasn't one of my good cows anyhow..
catching it early really is the key.. the other 3 cows never lost the cud, so they weren't too hard to treat

dave_shelby said:
Your gut sounds a whole lot better than mine. Never thought of connecting cattle's survival instinct to how they disguise problems.

I've learned to watch from a distance. Zero in on the one laying down when the others are grazing. Or in the winter, the one with her head tucked in. The cow or calf off by itself. Unless they're extremely sick, you can observe how they perk up (especially their ears) the closer you get. Ever try to catch one with a limp (foot rot, abscess, tweak, ect.)? Amazing how they can suddenly run a marathon when they suspect you're gonna drill them with 90cc's of LA.

Latest posts