Your thoughts before we cull....

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgrl110

Reaction score
Hi all, new here but could really use some advice. We bought a registered 6 year old cow with some unique and rare genetics. This cow was kept as a pasture pet and was quite overweight and was never exposed to a bull. We put her with a bull and was vet confirmed as pregnant 4 months later. Come her due date, she never calved. She obviously slipped her calf over winter, but has never cycled since. We have had her vet checked again (actually twice more) and he found no cysts, no tumors but did comment that her uterus felt thick. She does act "bullish" but is also the lead cow. We have given her lutalyse and cystorelin and put her back with the bull. (just got our bio-pryn results today to confirm she is still open) Was thinking of trying a complete synchronization protocol to see if that would jump start something. Normally, we would have already beefed her, but her lineage is hard to find. We are assuming her "obese pet" days have done some harm. Was wondering if anyone had any idea on what her issue could be before we cut our losses, hang our heads in regret and cull her as beef.

I'm pretty much a novice in this business but I'd say odds are she's never going to produce and you'd be better off culling her while prices are high and hopefully buying a younger more fertile cow or heifer.

:welcome: to CT by the way.

Have you had her ultrasounded? Might give you a better idea of what is going on in there. IVF might also be an option, if you can't get her bred the old-fashioned way.

We bought a super nice cow from a friend last year that stayed open too long (she'd had several calves) and got way too fat. We could never get her bred, so we took her to someone with a lot of experience with problem cows. She had some major hormonal issues and we ended up cutting our losses by taking her to the sale. Infertile cows definitely aren't going to improve the breed.

If you really like the cow try the full sync sometimes a cidr will help, if it doesnt work its cost you 10 days and with the way prices are she will probably be worth more in 10 days anyway.

You beat me to it SS: Those genetics are going to remain rare! Was keeping her as a pet part of the long-term plan, or just something which happened along the way? I'd talk to another vet, with the clear understanding that you want to keep the cow for breeding and is there anything which can be done to try and restore her to that state?

:lol: skeeter and putangiangi ;-) Not really sure why the original owners kept her from a bull. I would guess they just wanted their 5 acres kept down and didn't want to mess with a bull. We have not had an u/s done, but are considering another vet for a second opinion. Not really holding much hope, but would like to say we tried all avenues as she is such a well built cow. Cattle purchasing lessons have been learned with this experience, that's sure.

cull her from what your saying she is a fat cow.and a heavy cow is very hard to get bred.

Is she a rare breed or just rare lines within a common breed? Have you put her on a short pasture and made her take long walks to get her weight down? I would take another chance on getting her bred if you think her weight was the issue, but you have to get the excess weight off while keeping her healthy.

Why keep pouring money into this cow? If you do get another vet to look and he says she won't breed what have you gained? Sell her and stop wasting money on her. Just my 2 pennies

Cut your losses. She has and continues to tell you she needs wheels under her fast. These are the kind you cull off as poor doers.

Latest posts