Your old Herd sires

Help Support CattleToday:

Black Coos

Reaction score
What do you breeders do with you old herd sires????? I know some of you have more than one herd and can rotate them , but most of us on have 20 to 50 cows and only use a bull 2 maybe 3 seasons( years) .. That means there should be 4 to six years old bulls up for sale..I think most of them would be good animals to Use as a stud, you could see there calves, and cows they were use on , if you were lucky enought to be able to buy one at a good price( lease or Rent)... I see alot of bulls on these pages that I would like to use.

Black Coos":3glv1hm3 said:
What do you breeders do with you old herd sires????? I know some of you have more than one herd and can rotate them , but most of us on have 20 to 50 cows and only use a bull 2 maybe 3 seasons( years) .. That means there should be 4 to six years old bulls up for sale..I think most of them would be good animals to Use as a stud, you could see there calves, and cows they were use on , if you were lucky enought to be able to buy one... I see alot of buls on these pages that I would like to use.

My Angus bull is 3 I will use him this year and then maybe one more then trade him to a friend of mine for a real nice Mytty In Focus balancer and use him another year or two.. After that I will probably buy a bull from friend who raises Angus.

After 3-4 years aI was planning on seling Pauncho for a breeder. Couldn;t get a buyer so sold him as a killer and got more for him then I was asking and a lot more then I had bought him for.

dun":1zf5pm87 said:
After 3-4 years aI was planning on seling Pauncho for a breeder. Couldn;t get a buyer so sold him as a killer and got more for him then I was asking and a lot more then I had bought him for.
Your a hard man to deal with Mr. Dun.......

We usely raise a bull for show then when the older bull gets well used we sell him to a guy who buys bull, then rent them to dairy farms or people that just want calves and don't care about breeding.

unfortunatly it is for salvage. it is hard to sell a 5 year old bull, people want a young one. at 5-6 they are usually big and can be hard headed, that is when you have more problems with them. if they are not busy enough they go looking for something to do.

i use a bull for 3 or 4yrs depending on how meny of his heifers i keep.then send him to the sale barn.i may change bulls again this year but havent decided yet.

Latest posts