Your favorite non Priefert, ForMost or Powder River squeeze?

Help Support CattleToday:

WalnutCrest

Reaction score
I'm looking for a new (or lightly used) manual squeeze with palpation area and a weigh cage just prior to the squeeze (as opposed to under the squeeze). It doesn't need to be portable.

I'm reasonably familiar with Priefert, ForMost and Powder River. So, I'm looking for input on some of the lesser-known firms from anyone who has or has used their more recent stuff.

Also, I'm about 6'4" and so don't want to be banging my head on all sorts of nonsense and the interior dimensions must be at least 30" (preferrably 32") at their widest.

Here are three firms who's products (as shown on line) appear to be good quality and feature-rich (not sure about prices for these just yet, though):

Real-Tuff --> http://www.realtuff.com/
Arrow Cattlequip --> http://arrowcattlequip.com/
WW Manufacturing --> http://www.wwmanufacturing.com/

I'm sure there are others I should be considering ... any help on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

i'd go with the proven chutes. powder river and priefert.

i'd look into 'silencer' chutes if you're wanting something different and automated

I have 2 W&W and have had one of them for almost 25 years. I like them but if you are that tall now sure they will satisfy you. Better check before you buy.

Powder River manual chutes were the only game in town around here for years. Used by both ranchers and vets until Silencers came along. Now all the vets have hydraulic Silencers. One vet uses a power pack with a Honda engine. Another vet has a hydraulic pump on his Duramax pickup.

I much prefer the idling pickup instead of the constant irritation of the buzzing Honda. The pickup powered version is also so much easier to set up and take down, and doesn't die at an inopportune time because someone forgot to fill the Honda with gas :oops:

You just don't see many new manual chutes here. Almost everyone who upgrades to a new chute gets a hydraulic model. Easy for one lightweight or older person to run all functions on a hydraulic chute without a lot of muscle power once they get on to it. Teenage girls to 80 yr old men can run a hydraulic chute all by themselves.

Neighbor has a Hi-Qual hydraulic chute he likes. It's the only non-vet owned newer chute I've been around. He didn't buy a power pack. I've seen him use his bi-di or his brother's 4040 or his dad's old 3020 on it. He didn't buy a transport kit either, but it's easy to just set the chute on the flatbed trailer and go elsewhere with it as long as there is a loader tractor on each end.

Sorry, this post is non Preifert/ForMost/Powder River, but not much help on manual chutes :oops:

Kathie in Thorp":1e9yvbcf said:
PEARSON is not new on the market.

Pearson has been around a long time, not sure if as long as Powder River or WW. Neighbor who bought my place has a Pearson he uses on the front of his Stur-D tub and alley which he purchased without the squeeze part because he already owned the Pearson.

Just bought an arrow 8500, wow it so so non eventful to use it, super easy to use, little to no muscle needed. It has a nice built in palp cage. Doctoring pick eye tonight in the dark was so uneventful, we couldn't believe it was that smooth

Runaway Deere":1i1ktsm1 said:
Just bought an arrow 8500, wow it so so non eventful to use it, super easy to use, little to no muscle needed. It has a nice built in palp cage. Doctoring pick eye tonight in the dark was so uneventful, we couldn't believe it was that smooth

That's sure how their video looks ... thanks.

John SD":2m6d4hqi said:
Kathie in Thorp":2m6d4hqi said:

Pearson has been around a long time, not sure if as long as Powder River or WW. Neighbor who bought my place has a Pearson he uses on the front of his Stur-D tub and alley which he purchased without the squeeze part because he already owned the Pearson.

Our Pearson is at the front of P.R. alley and tub that we bought new. It works.

Kathie in Thorp":3lqabz3q said:
John SD":3lqabz3q said:
Kathie in Thorp":3lqabz3q said:

Our Pearson is at the front of P.R. alley and tub that we bought new. It works.

Forgot to mention neighbor has a ForMost headgate in the mix too ;-) He just leveled the dirt out and set the rig up in the corral again. The ForMost headgate works as a backstop for the Pearson squeeze, or he drags the squeeze out the way and just uses the headgate on front of the alley :idea:

Ok so the only thing I haven't got the cows used to is the brisket bar. Since we have double escape doors I am pulling it out for the moment to try to see if that's what the problem is or if the older ones still think it's the teco :-0
But I will say it again using it is so uneventful it's almost freaky. Boy is it quiet to no machine gun ratcheting noises or squeezing haunted house crap

Runaway Deere":2ads7yxv said:
Ok so the only thing I haven't got the cows used to is the brisket bar. Since we have double escape doors I am pulling it out for the moment to try to see if that's what the problem is or if the older ones still think it's the teco :-0
But I will say it again using it is so uneventful it's almost freaky. Boy is it quiet to no machine gun ratcheting noises or squeezing haunted house crap

I've just received a quote from a local dealer for a Arrow 8500V and weight crate. I'm about to pull the trigger on it next week I'm pretty sure. Anything else you would like to add? They seem very well built and I love to idea of working calves all the way up to my bulls with one head catch and not having to adjust things.

LDEnterprises":19vsu182 said:
Runaway Deere":19vsu182 said:

I've just received a quote from a local dealer for a Arrow 8500V and weight crate. I'm about to pull the trigger on it next week I'm pretty sure. Anything else you would like to add? They seem very well built and I love to idea of working calves all the way up to my bulls with one head catch and not having to adjust things.
That's the chute I've been thinking about getting. Do you mind telling what the quote was?

It left a mark on us for sure. But believe it or not this chute is the only big Cadilac chute in stock in the area. My only other options were tractor supply, and a couple of small powder rivers in stock

Latest posts